• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:30 AM

That third line could potentially be the best in the NHL. I'm excited for our future.

Would Deke be eligible to win the Calder next year anyone? 

"players could only be eligible if they were under 26 years old by September 15 of their rookie season.[1]

To be eligible for the award, a player cannot have played any more than 25 games previously in any single season, nor have played in more than six games in each of two separate preceding seasons in any major professional league" 

source: http://en.wikipedia....Memorial_Trophy

DD played 11 games this year and will still be 23 by Sept. so he would still be eligible next year.  

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#22 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:57 AM

Back in 03 most people didn't see the next Yzerman or Fedorov in the system.

Not true. Hank and Pasha were good from the get go. Read all of Hull's quotes. They were on the 3rd line is all. People knew these guys were future all stars back then.

#23 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,626 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:29 PM

Not true. Hank and Pasha were good from the get go. Read all of Hull's quotes. They were on the 3rd line is all. People knew these guys were future all stars back then.

You are absolutely correct.  Pav was already undressing opposing players as a rookie, as evidence by this clip where he undresses Adam Foote...

...He was doing things like this and was a big reason why Boyd the Void had 9 goals and 25 points that year, which in todays NHL would net him a $5M contract!

Also most if not all NHL analysts and "experts" talk a lot about how Henrik Zetterberg was the only NON-NHL player to be on Team Sweden's roster for the Olympics and how he fit right in with the rest of the NHL players. Also, Zetterberg was runner up to the Calder trophy with 44 points his rookie season.  I know the comparison's are for those two and Stevie and Sergei, but folks are also calling Tatar and Nyquist the next Hank and Pav... Those two may be the next eventual leaders of this team, but in the same respect that Hank and Pav were nowhere near the next Steve and Sergei, neither Tatar or Nyquist are the talent Hank and Pav were when they came into the NHL...no disrespect to any of the players...3 sets of players, 3 different NHL era's....

You knew Steve was a star in his rookie season....you knew Sergei was a star in his rookie season...you knew Pav was a star, and you knew Hank was a star...next year should be the official rookie season for both Nyquist and Tatar, we will see.

Another thing to consider, none of Yzerman, Fedorov, Zetterberg or Datsyuk spent ANY time in the AHL before the started in the NHL. They were stars when they arrived here. I know the organization was different when Steve and Sergei were brought here, but Holland was in charge when Pav and Z were brought here and they didn't spend one minute in the AHL.  Nyquist and Tatar are talented and seem like they will be great players one day, but the super star quality that Hank and Pav had just isn't there with Nyquist and Tatar...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#24 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:32 PM

You are absolutely correct.  Pav was already undressing opposing players as a rookie, as evidence by this clip where he undresses Adam Foote...

...He was doing things like this and was a big reason why Boyd the Void had 9 goals and 25 points that year, which in todays NHL would net him a $5M contract!

Also most if not all NHL analysts and "experts" talk a lot about how Henrik Zetterberg was the only NON-NHL player to be on Team Sweden's roster for the Olympics and how he fit right in with the rest of the NHL players. Also, Zetterberg was runner up to the Calder trophy with 44 points his rookie season.  I know the comparison's are for those two and Stevie and Sergei, but folks are also calling Tatar and Nyquist the next Hank and Pav... Those two may be the next eventual leaders of this team, but in the same respect that Hank and Pav were nowhere near the next Steve and Sergei, neither Tatar or Nyquist are the talent Hank and Pav were when they came into the NHL...no disrespect to any of the players...3 sets of players, 3 different NHL era's....

You knew Steve was a star in his rookie season....you knew Sergei was a star in his rookie season...you knew Pav was a star, and you knew Hank was a star...next year should be the official rookie season for both Nyquist and Tatar, we will see.

Another thing to consider, none of Yzerman, Fedorov, Zetterberg or Datsyuk spent ANY time in the AHL before the started in the NHL. They were stars when they arrived here. I know the organization was different when Steve and Sergei were brought here, but Holland was in charge when Pav and Z were brought here and they didn't spend one minute in the AHL.  Nyquist and Tatar are talented and seem like they will be great players one day, but the super star quality that Hank and Pav had just isn't there with Nyquist and Tatar...

Spot on. In 100% agreement.

#25 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:53 PM

Spot on. In 100% agreement.

That's so not true. Noone KNEW Pavel would be a star.
Pav and Zetterberg came to North America at an older age than Nyquist and Datsyuk, in fact Pav was older as a rookie than Nyquist and Tatar are now.
It is doubtful that they will ever be as good as Pav and Z but the same could be said for most top 5 picks in the draft. Pav is arguably the best player in the world.

Edited by Johnz96, 05 May 2013 - 01:02 PM.

#26 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 01:01 PM

Pav and Zetterberg came to North America at an older age than Nyquist and Datsyuk, in fact Pav was older as a rookie than Nyquist and Tatar are now.
It is doubtful that they will ever be as good as Pav and Z but the same could be said for most top 5 picks in the draft. Pav is arguably the best player in the world.

You didn't read Brett Hull's quotes. Read them.

#27 Zetts

Zetts

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 03:30 PM

Nyquist and Tatar, while good, are probably closer to "the next Hudler and Filppula" than "the next Zetterberg and Datsyuk".  I do think they'll be better than Hudler and Filppula, but it's still the more appropriate comparison (as far as quality of talent, not necessarily playing style).

That's just my impression, hopefully I'm wrong and they become superstars.

I don't mean this as an insult to them by any means - those are valuable players.  Just not superstars.

Edited by Zetts, 05 May 2013 - 03:32 PM.

#28 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,626 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 03:52 PM

Pavel was 23 when he came to Detroit....Nyquist is 23.  Zetterberg was 22 when he came to Detroit...Tatar is 22.

Noone knew Pavel  was going to be a star like no everyone knew Crosby would be. But after his first season and the magic he made on the ice, the gig was up...Star....

Pavel at 23 > Nyquist at 23....Zetterberg at 22 > Tatar at 22....

Edited by LeftWinger, 05 May 2013 - 03:53 PM.

www.thinkdunes.com

#29 ben_usmc

ben_usmc

Kenny Powers Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:27 PM

Pavel was 23 when he came to Detroit....Nyquist is 23.  Zetterberg was 22 when he came to Detroit...Tatar is 22.

Noone knew Pavel  was going to be a star like no everyone knew Crosby would be. But after his first season and the magic he made on the ice, the gig was up...Star....

Pavel at 23 > Nyquist at 23....Zetterberg at 22 > Tatar at 22....

Tatar got in a fight yesterday. It wasn't much of one but I won't be pushed around either. 

There's no I in team, but there's a U in c***, so don't be little jealous c***s

#30 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,626 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:46 PM

Tatar got in a fight yesterday. It wasn't much of one but I won't be pushed around either. 

You are getting pushed around?

www.thinkdunes.com

#31 MibJab

MibJab

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:38 PM

Our core players now are great compliments to the players that were the core back then (Yze, Feds, Shanny, Lidstrom etc.) The players we have up and coming aren't great compliments to the core we have now. (Our core is the problem)  What we need now is either immediate compliments to to core, or hope for speedy development and "effective" veterans available at free agency time. We have a lot of young guys in the system and I feel like if they keep progressing at a rapid rate, a new core is not too far away.