• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Dirty Dangle

Abdelkader suspended 2 games for hit on Lydman

Rate this topic

This is par for the course for Abdelkader, he is infamous for taking boneheaded penalties that cost the Red Wings games and series.

I blame Brunner. His mistake hurt us more than Abdelkader's penalty. Down one after the penalty was not too bad, but then Brunner goes and cough's it up and it is downhill from there.

I do but the best thing is to follow Khan on twitter

That's the thing I'm talking about! Let us know! I added $5 to my Money on the Board pledge if he escapes the Shanaban.

I just want to know why the ref standing right next to the hit didn't raise his arm. He was staring directly at it from 2 feet away and didn't make a call. None of this 'he waited to talk to the other officials' stuff, because if there is a penalty, they put their arm up at the time of the infraction and they can discuss it afterwards to determine severity. They called it charging and threw him out because Lydman didn't get up.

I just want to know why the ref standing right next to the hit didn't raise his arm. He was staring directly at it from 2 feet away and didn't make a call. None of this 'he waited to talk to the other officials' stuff, because if there is a penalty, they put their arm up at the time of the infraction and they can discuss it afterwards to determine severity. They called it charging and threw him out because Lydman didn't get up.

The trailing official made the call from about center ice.

Not trying to sound mean, but have you ever played before? There isn't exactly time to always calculate where you need to hit people and how to adjust due to other people's movements. There are times when a hit to the head is unavoidable, short of not making the hit at all.

This is exactly what I think every time I read a post on this thread.

I wouldn't be surprised if he got suspended because every expert seems to think he will, but I think It's a borderline play. Hopefully he gets no more than 2 games

i just wish they let these guys play more. It was a tough hit and it looked bad. But everyone that has played hockey knows that you have to keep your head up at all times. The NFL is starting to do this crap and they put it in the hands of the refs. Most times calls like these can change the game.

Not trying to sound mean, but have you ever played before? There isn't exactly time to always calculate where you need to hit people and how to adjust due to other people's movements. There are times when a hit to the head is unavoidable, short of not making the hit at all.

Which is why hits to the head are not inherently illegal. The NHL has a video demonstrating legal and illegal hits that involve contact to the head.

They also account for whether or not a player moved just prior to contact being made.

The game is fast and there's always going to be grey areas, which is where I think this hit lies. But players also need to recognize when what they're attempting is a high risk hit and make sure they contact the body solidly. That's ultimately what checking is supposed to be and if they can manage to get back to more of that, I'm all for it.

Unfortunately there's going to be some questionable calls and suspensions as the league and players adjust. These refs can't even manage to make a simple hooking call consistently. I'm not surprised they're all over the map regarding hits they have to evaluate at full speed.

For those worrying that there's no hitting in the game anymore, watch the Kings-Blues series.

I don't think there's any chance that Abby doesn't get suspended. The bar was set pretty low after the Gryba hit resulted in a suspension, and this hit was much worse because of the upward explosion. It seems pretty clear to me that his skates leave the ice going into the hit (rather than after the hit) and it looks like he makes contact with the head.

I guess we'll all know soon enough.

And then this:

@reallisa: More Selanne:"It's interesting to see what Shanny's gonna do. He played here too. I think everybody is following close. It's a tough job too

LOL already playing the preemptive "Shanny played here" card...

If I were Shanny and read this s*** I would definitely NOT give Abby the suspension.

Which is my point. Why are the officials that are away from the play making the call and not the one right next to it?

Because it's harder to gauge the play from up close sometimes. Depends on the angle as well, same reason umpires appeal to first/third base on if the batter swung through. Just because the one referee up close didn't see anything doesn't mean the other one didn't.

The game is fast and there's always going to be grey areas, which is where I think this hit lies. But players also need to recognize when what they're attempting is a high risk hit and make sure they contact the body solidly. That's ultimately what checking is supposed to be and if they can manage to get back to more of that, I'm all for it.

From experience the risk won't be worth the reward on the open ice. It's too hard to just hit a guy in open ice, players just won't do it anymore if people keep getting suspended. I don't know how I feel about the whole situation, on one hand the more we know about concussions, the more emphasis the league has to make to make the game safe just due to lawsuits like the NFL, on the other hand it's going to force players to only make hits that they are sure they can make, which will hurt the entertainment value on the game, without a doubt in my mind there will be less and less open ice hits, if players keep paying the price for shoulder checks.

Edited by Carman

There was one other angle that was played on FSD that, to me, showed him going shoulder to shoulder first. Unfortunately all the clips on youtube that i've seen have been from NBC and didn't have that angle. If anyone should find it they should post it.

The angle you're talking about was shot from behind the ref. I've been looking for it too. You can see why he didn't call anything and he had the best view.