• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Dirty Dangle

Abdelkader suspended 2 games for hit on Lydman

Rate this topic

I'm surprised so many people are questioning the validity of this suspension. When the play happened in real time my initial thought was "dumb play by Abby, he is going to pay for that." So many problems with this hit. He targeted him from halfway across the ice. Took about ten strides. Lept up. AND then decides to throw his elbow into the mix for good measure. It was a boneheaded play by a guy that makes boneheaded plays from time to time.

As to the official right there not calling a penalty on it. Another poster mentioned that night that the official was probably in disbelief in what he just saw happen because it was so blatantly boneheaded. I tend to agree, see as how I was shaking my head in disbelief. That play sunk us in that game.

I swear you must be looking at a different hit, or you're a young guy newer to hockey to think that was a bad hit.

I swear you must be looking at a different hit, or you're a young guy newer to hockey to think that was a bad hit.

Was it a "bad" hit 10 or even 5 years ago? Probably not.

But with the emphasis on leaving your feet while conducting a hit and head shots in general, it is a bad hit "now".

Abby got two games. He's lucky that's all it was - if there was any logical progression of punishments for hits, after the clean Gryba hit got two games, Abby might have gotten four after all.

I absolutely hate the Cansucks and the Sharts, though Couture getting the butt end to the head, deserves retribution on some end. I actually hope that Vancouver pushes this to 7 and loses so the Sharks are good and tired for round 2, and beaten up, and I hope Couture goed Dr. Hook McCraken on Sedin's ass! It's time for the sisters to get a taste of their own medicine. Those 2 chumps are as bad as Crysby with the stick work.

Actually, I'm 41 and have played hockey since I was 6. What Buckeye said was spot on. This is the EXACT type of hit that the league has repeatedly stressed that if you engage in you will suffer consequences. Lydman was in a vulnerable position, and Abby came in recklessly from his blind side from halfway across the ice. If he kept his elbows down, feet on the ice, and hit him more square to the front we aren't having this discussion. There is a reason that Lydman most likely has a concussion and it isn't because Abby gave him a nice clean shoulder check.