• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Dirty Dangle

Abdelkader suspended 2 games for hit on Lydman

Rate this topic

I am not going to argue whether the hit was clean or not, but with the current atmosphere in the NHL, especially after Gryba's hit on Eller, I think he gets a suspension, no more than 2 games. We'll find out at 4 pm.

http://www.freep.com/article/20130505/SPORTS05/305050124/Red-Wings-Abdelkader-NHL-hearing

Agreed. I don't like these exploding upwards hits but don't want to get into a frame by frame breakdown.

I'm guessing 2 games? He go a 5 minute major in the game and an ejection. It seems like that factors into suspensions. He also has no suspension history and they typically weigh missing playoff games more.

Agreed. I don't like these exploding upwards hits but don't want to get into a frame by frame breakdown.

I'm guessing 2 games? He go a 5 minute major in the game and an ejection. It seems like that factors into suspensions. He also has no suspension history and they typically weigh missing playoff games more.

I think it is going to be one or two games as well. I am not upset about the call. Hell, he did it less than 10 feet from the ref who was watching him. Having to make that call within seconds, I can see why it was made.

I really don't want to use Gryba's hit as a comparison.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nhl--eric-gryba-s-controversial-suspension-by-the-nhl-based-on-a-hit-determined-to-be-illegal-010719953.html

There is a lot there and I disagree with the suspension on him.

Am I the only one who thinks he doesn't get suspended at all? I feel like just being out that game was punishment enough and IMO the fact that it's just a phone hearing and not in person makes it sound less threatening.

I think it is going to be one or two games as well. I am not upset about the call. Hell, he did it less than 10 feet from the ref who was watching him. Having to make that call within seconds, I can see why it was made.

I really don't want to use Gryba's hit as a comparison.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nhl--eric-gryba-s-controversial-suspension-by-the-nhl-based-on-a-hit-determined-to-be-illegal-010719953.html

There is a lot there and I disagree with the suspension on him.

From what I understand, the downlow ref didn't make that call. It wasn't until the linesmen got invloved was a penalty called.

Edited by Dirty Dangle

NO HIT LEAGUE

Because big hits are worth permanently injuring someone in a way that has been statistically shown to shorten athletes lives. I love seeing big hits Jolly, but come on, any hits, on purpose or accident to the head should NOT be part of ANY sport. While I would argue that the hit by Abby wasn't dirty insofar as there was 0 intent to go after the head, there was still head contact. Even RUGBY a game that you are ENCOURAGED to clock people, if you hit someone in the HEAD you are punished.

lydman.gif

Point of contact was Lydman's head, he left his feet to make the hit. This wasn't a clean hit.

Edited by Shaman464

Am I the only one who thinks he doesn't get suspended at all? I feel like just being out that game was punishment enough and IMO the fact that it's just a phone hearing and not in person makes it sound less threatening.

It may help him that he did get the 5 minute major and ejection, but I'd still be surprised if he didn't get something.

Last season Ovechkin got 3 games for a hit where he left his feet and caught the guys head in spite of also getting a lot of his body. Ovie's skates were off the ice prior to contact and he has a suspension history, but the guy he hit was ok and continued to play.

This will be an interesting one. It comes down to which way the suspension winds are blowing in the NHL. As the OP stated, with the current climate a suspension seems likely.

Guest irishock

I've already cut Brendan Shanahan from my 1997 championship poster. This scumbag will forever be a St. Louis Blue in my eyes.

Guy was more inconsistent than Franzen and was inferior to Dallas Drake in the toughness department. He's a dime a dozen.

Edited by irishock

Because big hits are worth permanently injuring someone in a way that has been statistically shown to shorten athletes lives. I love seeing big hits Jolly, but come on, any hits, on purpose or accident to the head should NOT be part of ANY sport. While I would argue that the hit by Abby wasn't dirty insofar as there was 0 intent to go after the head, there was still head contact. Even RUGBY a game that you are ENCOURAGED to clock people, if you hit someone in the HEAD you are punished.

lydman.gif

Point of contact was Lydman's head, he left his feet to make the hit. This wasn't a clean hit.

Maybe the NHL should have kept going with the idea of making equipment out of the crock material instead of suits of armor so there's less impact from the guys equipment on their heads and we'd see less concussions. Keith Primeau was working on it a number of years ago, and I for one would like to know why we still have these massive hard plastic shoulder and elbow pads.

It may help him that he did get the 5 minute major and ejection, but I'd still be surprised if he didn't get something.

Last season Ovechkin got 3 games for a hit where he left his feet and caught the guys head in spite of also getting a lot of his body. Ovie's skates were off the ice prior to contact and he has a suspension history, but the guy he hit was ok and continued to play.

This will be an interesting one. It comes down to which way the suspension winds are blowing in the NHL. As the OP stated, with the current climate a suspension seems likely.

Ovie's a repeat offender with questionable hits. Abdelkader isn't.

Multiple issues with this.

1) No call initially on ice.

2) Are they going to review hits where a guy stays down and then go back and give a penalty?

3) The head wasn't the main point of contact.

4) He didn't leave his skates until the hit. He didn't jump into him. Not a fan of the technique, but he certainly wasn't headhunting.

5) I thought the hit last game ON him was worse, where he got checked in the back into the boards. It reminded me quite a bit of the type of hit that happened to Draper. Luckily he wasn't any closer to the boards or near the bench, but that was a VERY bad hit as far as what could have happened. That wasn't a hockey play just a cheap shot.

6) This is going to turn into a reaction league. A guy just should stay down like soccer players and see if they can draw a penalty.

7) Initially I didn't think it was a penalty. Since I've seen replays it has looked fine. I don't know how on earth that is a game misconduct.

8) If you watch the Kings and Blues series, worse is happening every other minute.

Maybe the NHL should have kept going with the idea of making equipment out of the crock material instead of suits of armor so there's less impact from the guys equipment on their heads and we'd see less concussions. Keith Primeau was working on it a number of years ago, and I for one would like to know why we still have these massive hard plastic shoulder and elbow pads.

I absolutely agree.

It's sad that it took them what, over 10 years to finally get rid of the seamless glass that players were complaining about injuries from the very start.

Shanny himself used to use those flimsy shoulder pads. That didn't stop him from hitting guys. You don't want players to get injured but maybe if they hitter feels the impact more he'll be more careful about keeping his elbows tucked and not leaping at a guy.

Ovie's a repeat offender with questionable hits. Abdelkader isn't.

As I stated in my post.

Either one game suspension or nothing. I really hope it's not 2 games : l

That is my prediction as well. Either 1 game or none at all. I Don't think i'd be able to handle HF blowing up if he got nothing, so I do think it'll be a game. At best I think it was a borderline call, hopefully Shanahan takes into account that he has already been given a game misconduct and a 5 minute major.

Wrap them all in bubble wrap. I wish Abby had stayed on his feet, but he didn't. So I can see Shanny having to give him something, if only because it looks like favoritism if he doesn't, as an ex-Wing.

Is Lyman actually injured? Just asking... not that it matters, but I think it factors in, right?

lydman.gif

To me the principle point of contact seems shoulder to shoulder and I think his left skate is still on the ice when contact is made. (His right skate might be as well but its behind a Duck player at the moment in question.

If Lydman is hurt I'd expect a fine, but I don't think this is worth even the 5 minute major.

I'm putting my chips on no suspension. The hit was worth 2 minutes in the box for leaving his feet a split second early. It was a hard shoulder on shoulder hit that immediately followed into the head. Nothing wrong with that. It looked terrible because the guy was blindsided. It's hockey.

And what's with all this Shanny hate? Not cool.

After watching the replay multiple times Abby never touched the guys head. It was a shoulder to shoulder hit. If you watch carefully when Abby hits him his arm is tucked into his body and when Lydman is moving away from him his shoulder is touching Abby's bicep.

It's hard to say whether he intended to leave his feet or not. When Abby hit him he started out somewhat crouched and pushed with his legs and he may have jumped but it didnt happen till after contact which seems to me only happened because of the force that was pushed back into Abby. He was already moving upward and the momentum from Lydman moving towards him could have propelled him upward and off his feet

My guess is he gets 1 game for this but it's only because of how vicious it looked.