• Please log in to reply
303 replies to this topic

#241 MTU_Huskies963

MTU_Huskies963

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,810 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:43 PM

Shanahan pointed one thing out that I didn't notice until I watched the video. Abdelkader skated in a huge "C" all the way around the offensive zone before lining up that hit. That's pretty much the definition of charging. He never said Abby left his feet, but you can't deny the fact that Abby was going dangerously fast for a high-ish hot like that

If you hold on to the puck that long with your head down you deserve to get leveled, but cleanly. If abby would have stayed low, we would be talking about how that was one of the best hits of the playoffs. I agree that he should have been suspended for 1 game. I am just frustrated with how the league handles suspensions these days. 

#242 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:49 PM

Here is the lineup that should be tomorrow night:

Z - Pav- Bert
Franz - Fil - Cleary
Eaves - Andersson - Tootoo
Nyquist - Emmy - Brunner

Put Andersson line against Getzlaf all night and let Tootoo run wild...

Z- Dats- brunner/nyquist
Franzen- flip- cleary
Tootoo- Anderson- nyquist/brunner
Eaves- emmerton- Bert

Nyquist on the top line would be great, and tootoo can keep up with the speed of our third line. They would be a good grind line if he plays with them.
The fourth line probably won't be effective, but Bert could pot one if he gets the puck in the right spot, and its not like our fourth line ever gets any ice time anyway.

Tootoo's line would piss off perry and getzlaf enough that they would take stupid penalties all night

They are different.  I don't believe Abby targeted the head but Weber did.  He took Z's head and drove it into the glass, on purpose.

I know Weber should have been suspended, but it wasn't a hit, that's all I'm saying. It's outrageous that weber got away with what he did, but that doesn't mean Abby should hey away too. Hopefully the consistency improves

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

#243 AusWing40

AusWing40

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:59 PM

I have a question. If this was for example, Perry who hit Datsyuk like that, would the folk here at LGW still cry no suspension, that it was a clean hockey hit?

Just curious.

#244 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,582 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:15 PM

I have a question. If this was for example, Perry who hit Datsyuk like that, would the folk here at LGW still cry no suspension, that it was a clean hockey hit?

Just curious.

/sarcasm/ You son of a blankity blank! Where do you get off coming here and trying to make sense of this matter! You should be ashamed of yourself, you should be behind bars!  :hysterical:

You are correct BTW...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

#245 matt198913

matt198913

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:17 PM

We are all upset at this decision lets rally around this team
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#246 MibJab

MibJab

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:21 PM

Just curious.

I understand where you're going with that, but does it really matter? The fact that it was a clean hit trumps the bias card on any play, any day. 

On another note, does that fact that the player got injured make or break a good hockey play? And if that is the case, then wouldn't you have to take hitting out of the game completely? So now when a player is going in for the hit, it's solely his responsibility to make sure the player he is hitting doesn't get hurt. If Abdelkader gets hurt in game 2 when Souray hit him from behind at the end of the game, does Souray get ejected and suspended (that hit was more a dangerous hit then the one on topic BTW)? The way I see it, the inconsistency with the suspensions and penalties is doing more harm for the game than good. 

Tootoo needs to be in the lineup tomorrow and get top minutes to just run mad. It wont happen, but he is the only guy that can hit Anaheim and not have to worry about a headshot.

Bottom line, Red Wings are *******, and it sucks even more when someone does land a big hit, its controversial. (Kronwall) This team needs a little less skilled Euro, and a little more North American man parts. 

Edited by MibJab, 05 May 2013 - 10:22 PM.

#247 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,962 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:32 PM

DMac's fired up:

@D_Mac25: What a f'ing joke - Abby gets 2 games for playing hockey how I grew up playing it. The way it should be (cont) http://t.co/lb1gd0ynkQ

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#248 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,656 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:34 PM

DMac's fired up:

@D_Mac25: What a f'ing joke - Abby gets 2 games for playing hockey how I grew up playing it. The way it should be (cont) http://t.co/lb1gd0ynkQ

Isn't he very good friends with Shanahan?

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#249 AusWing40

AusWing40

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:35 PM

I understand where you're going with that, but does it really matter? The fact that it was a clean hit trumps the bias card on any play, any day. 

On another note, does that fact that the player got injured make or break a good hockey play? And if that is the case, then wouldn't you have to take hitting out of the game completely? So now when a player is going in for the hit, it's solely his responsibility to make sure the player he is hitting doesn't get hurt. If Abdelkader gets hurt in game 2 when Souray hit him from behind at the end of the game, does Souray get ejected and suspended (that hit was more a dangerous hit then the one on topic BTW)? The way I see it, the inconsistency with the suspensions and penalties is doing more harm for the game than good. 

Tootoo needs to be in the lineup tomorrow and get top minutes to just run mad. It wont happen, but he is the only guy that can hit Anaheim and not have to worry about a headshot.

Bottom line, Red Wings are *******, and it sucks even more when someone does land a big hit, its controversial. (Kronwall) This team needs a little less skilled Euro, and a little more North American man parts. 

I didn't like the Souray hit on abdelkader at all. In today's NHL if Abby left on a stretcher after that, rightly or wrongly he'd probably be suspended.

I ask the question just because if it was on the other side I want to know if people would still say it's a clean hit?

I thought the hit was dirty yesterday, and have since softened my stance to it was borderline and coulda gone either way, really. One he got tossed I expected a 1 game suspension.

#250 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,447 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:36 PM

I know Weber should have been suspended, but it wasn't a hit, that's all I'm saying. It's outrageous that weber got away with what he did, but that doesn't mean Abby should hey away too. Hopefully the consistency improves

Weber's attack on Z wasn't a hit.  Pronger and Neederweiner assaulting Homer wasn't a hit, either, but at least it was noted by the league as unacceptable.

Essentially, Abby never intended to target Lydman's head... the hit went wrong, Abby's a dork, and he got punished for it.  I think some people are angry because our players seem to get attacked in very dangerous fashions (i.e., Perry kicking Jimmy Howard in the head with a razor sharp skate -- Marlachuk, anyone??) and NOTHING happens.   Ho hum....

Some hits are bad, suspendable, deplorable.  Attacks which could injure or kill one of our players?  OK!  :thumbs-up:

I think most decisions on suspensions are subjective and open to (endless) argument... however, I do have trouble understanding the Weber assault on Z, aside from the fact that the NHL wanted an expansion team to move on, not the Wings. 

puckloo39dom.jpg

"There is no passion to be found in playing small -- in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living."

Nelson Mandela - RIP  1918-2013

Better than Ever

#251 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,925 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:36 PM

DMac's fired up:

Wow wish he was still playing here. Not a single player on this roster who gets angry and plays with a chip on their shoulder besides Datsyuk

#252 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,447 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:53 PM

DMac's fired up:

Read the whole tweet.  I'd give anything to have a player like Mac again, who makes the other teams look over their shoulders and worry... even a little... about taking liberties with our guys.  Miss you, Mac.

puckloo39dom.jpg

"There is no passion to be found in playing small -- in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living."

Nelson Mandela - RIP  1918-2013

Better than Ever

#253 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:05 PM

Weber's attack on Z wasn't a hit.  Pronger and Neederweiner assaulting Homer wasn't a hit, either, but at least it was noted by the league as unacceptable.

Essentially, Abby never intended to target Lydman's head... the hit went wrong, Abby's a dork, and he got punished for it.  I think some people are angry because our players seem to get attacked in very dangerous fashions (i.e., Perry kicking Jimmy Howard in the head with a razor sharp skate -- Marlachuk, anyone??) and NOTHING happens.   Ho hum....

Some hits are bad, suspendable, deplorable.  Attacks which could injure or kill one of our players?  OK!  :thumbs-up:

I think most decisions on suspensions are subjective and open to (endless) argument... however, I do have trouble understanding the Weber assault on Z, aside from the fact that the NHL wanted an expansion team to move on, not the Wings. 

I'm not trying to say the weber hit was ok, all I'm saying is they are completely different and can't really be compared. If anything, we need to compare it to the gryba hit, or find another charge to compare it to

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

#254 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,863 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:12 PM

They got the call right. I don't think it was a malicious hit, but it was careless, and the league is really trying to remove contact to the head from the game. They let this one slide and that message goes out the window.

#255 ami

ami

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:15 PM

Just curious.

There would be no questions if these guys were consistent.

And if there were some explanation why it certain cases didn't deserve suspension. For example, Weber vs. Zeta incident last year.

These guys, Shanny included, are consistently inconsistent, which rightfully brings af****** lot of questions...

#256 Ally

Ally

just figured out how to change my title

• PipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:17 PM

They got the call right. I don't think it was a malicious hit, but it was careless, and the league is really trying to remove contact to the head from the game. They let this one slide and that message goes out the window.

That message went out the window with the unpunished Weber headslam.

"Everything he does is exciting to watch.” -Holmstrom describes Datsyuk

#257 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:22 PM

That message went out the window with the unpunished Weber headslam.

That wasn't a head hit. What don't you people understand about that? It was a terrible missed call, but how can you compare it to this hit?

-Buppy

#258 Ally

Ally

just figured out how to change my title

• PipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:29 PM

That wasn't a head hit. What don't you people understand about that? It was a terrible missed call, but how can you compare it to this hit?

The problem is that every hit needs to be looked at separately. I'm not comparing Abby's hit to any other hit. He got suspended and while I didn't think it was dirty, it's completely reasonable for the league to make the call that it was.
I mention the Weber hit because it is a perfect example of why people get upset about suspensions. The league cannot say that they are worried about head injuries or that they are going to suspend hits where the head was targeted if they are going to blatantly ignore cases like that one.

"Everything he does is exciting to watch.” -Holmstrom describes Datsyuk

#259 Number19

Number19

I like our team

• PipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:50 PM

DMac's fired up:

Miss this guy. :clap:

#260 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:01 AM

Was there even a call initially made on the ice? If not, now we're just gonna go back and start giving penalties?

Also, it is becoming painfully clear that if guys stay down on the ice after being hit, the penalties and/or suspensions are more hefty. Anyone else out there view this as seriously problematic? What the hell is going on? The suspension videos released by the league even state that they take into account whether the player was supposedly injured or not.

Pathetic.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien