• Please log in to reply
303 replies to this topic

#21 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:27 AM

Because big hits are worth permanently injuring someone in a way that has been statistically shown to shorten athletes lives. I love seeing big hits Jolly, but come on, any hits, on purpose or accident to the head should NOT be part of ANY sport. While I would argue that the hit by Abby wasn't dirty insofar as there was 0 intent to go after the head, there was still head contact. Even RUGBY a game that you are ENCOURAGED to clock people, if you hit someone in the HEAD you are punished. 

lydman.gif

Point of contact was Lydman's head, he left his feet to make the hit. This wasn't a clean hit.

To me the principle point of contact seems shoulder to shoulder and I think his left skate is still on the ice when contact is made. (His right skate might be as well but its behind a Duck player at the moment in question.

If Lydman is hurt I'd expect a fine, but I don't think this is worth even the 5 minute major.

#22 Seraph

Seraph

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:27 AM

I'm putting my chips on no suspension. The hit was worth 2 minutes in the box for leaving his feet a split second early. It was a hard shoulder on shoulder hit that immediately followed into the head. Nothing wrong with that. It looked terrible because the guy was blindsided. It's hockey.

And what's with all this Shanny hate? Not cool.

Formerly known as The Nephilim.

QUOTE (Amberoonie)
Babs sure hurries himself into the presser, sits down, and f*cks up a bottle of water like no one in the room has had any for days.

#23 MidMichSteve

MidMichSteve

Thanks to #5

• HoF Booster
  • 4,226 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:31 AM

Is Lyman actually injured?  Just asking...  not that it matters, but I think it factors in, right?

He will be until the hearing is over. Then he'll be a game time decision.

From now on, Patrick Roy will be rolled out to and from the Avs' bench like Hannibal Lecter. - BottleOfSmoke

#24 MidMichSteve

MidMichSteve

Thanks to #5

• HoF Booster
  • 4,226 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:36 AM

lydman.gif

Point of contact was Lydman's head, he left his feet to make the hit. This wasn't a clean hit.

Of all the replays from the game, this is the worst one to show the point of impact or when his skates left the ice.

From now on, Patrick Roy will be rolled out to and from the Avs' bench like Hannibal Lecter. - BottleOfSmoke

#25 Wings4Life19

Wings4Life19

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:39 AM

After watching the replay multiple times Abby never touched the guys head. It was a shoulder to shoulder hit. If you watch carefully when Abby hits him his arm is tucked into his body and when Lydman is moving away from him his shoulder is touching Abby's bicep.

It's hard to say whether he intended to leave his feet or not. When Abby hit him he started out somewhat crouched and pushed with his legs and he may have jumped but it didnt happen till after contact which seems to me only happened because of the force that was pushed back into Abby. He was already moving upward and the momentum from Lydman moving towards him could have propelled him upward and off his feet

My guess is he gets 1 game for this but it's only because of how vicious it looked.

#26 Seraph

Seraph

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:41 AM

Formerly known as The Nephilim.

QUOTE (Amberoonie)
Babs sure hurries himself into the presser, sits down, and f*cks up a bottle of water like no one in the room has had any for days.

#27 BuckeyeWingsfan80

BuckeyeWingsfan80

The more the better

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:42 AM

IF Gryba got 2 games for a clearly clean hit that didn't hit the head, Abdelkader is going to get at least 2 for what was clearly a high hit. 

The other key is Abdelkader left his feet.  That's almost an automatic suspension now.

Edited by BuckeyeWingsfan80, 05 May 2013 - 11:43 AM.

Don't take it from fans on LGW, take it from his peers. NHL players have spoken and they think Tootoo is the dirtiest player in the league.

Get a clue already.

#28 MTU_Huskies963

MTU_Huskies963

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,810 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:44 AM

Probably gets one game, but it's a joke that this gets 5 and a game. Abby got checked head first into the boards last game, on a blatant cheap shot for 2 mins. The inconsistencies in reffing is going to be what does this league in. People say the NBA is bad, but atleast they know how they are calling their games. With the NHL it's really a crapshoot on how the game will be called.

Edited by MTU_Huskies963, 05 May 2013 - 11:47 AM.

#29 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:46 AM

To me the principle point of contact seems shoulder to shoulder and I think his left skate is still on the ice when contact is made. (His right skate might be as well but its behind a Duck player at the moment in question.

If Lydman is hurt I'd expect a fine, but I don't think this is worth even the 5 minute major.

This video shows the reverse angle at around 57 seconds. It shows principal point of contact was the head. 

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#30 TheWolf

TheWolf

Prospect

• 37 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:53 AM

#31 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:55 AM

That other angle makes me feel even more confident that his left skate was still on the ice, and that the hit was shoulder to shoulder first then to the head. Lydman being hurt is the only reason that received a penalty at all.

The comparisons to the Gryba hit aren't valid anyways since the only reason Gryba got suspended at all was because of the damage done to Eller and the visual of him laying out on the ice in a pool of blood.

#32 Yzerfan1999

Yzerfan1999

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:57 AM

Probably gets 2 games.  Unfortunate play...really killed the game for the Wings. 

I just wish it had been Getzlaf, Perry, or Beauchef*** 

When you lose, say little. When you win, say less.

--Thanks for the Sig. Offsides--

#33 Pskov Wings Fan

Pskov Wings Fan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:01 PM

Because big hits are worth permanently injuring someone in a way that has been statistically shown to shorten athletes lives. I love seeing big hits Jolly, but come on, any hits, on purpose or accident to the head should NOT be part of ANY sport. While I would argue that the hit by Abby wasn't dirty insofar as there was 0 intent to go after the head, there was still head contact. Even RUGBY a game that you are ENCOURAGED to clock people, if you hit someone in the HEAD you are punished. 

Well, boxing is a sport whole point of which is hitting the other guy in the head.

But as far as hockey goes I do agree. Stay away from the head. And if you have to jump to make a hit maybe you should not make that hit.

#34 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:04 PM

That other angle makes me feel even more confident that his left skate was still on the ice, and that the hit was shoulder to shoulder first then to the head. Lydman being hurt is the only reason that received a penalty at all.

The comparisons to the Gryba hit aren't valid anyways since the only reason Gryba got suspended at all was because of the damage done to Eller and the visual of him laying out on the ice in a pool of blood.

Then you're blind. He clearly hits the head first in all angles, and even if he leaves his feet after initial contact, you're still not allowed to leave your feet on purpose to make a hit worse. By the way his body was during that hit, it appears that he left his feet in a controlled manor. The only way you don't see it for what it is is if you're a homer. And I am 100% if this were Perry on Datsyuk, you'd be crying for blood. 

And the point remains, if Abdelkader kept himself on his feet, and his shoulder down, this would have been a big CLEAN hit, no penalty, no misconduct, no possible suspension. Just another case of Abdelkader being an idiot and making the worst possible play and costing the Wings a playoff game, just like 2009, 2010, and 2011.

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#35 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:06 PM

NAD timing for Abdelkader. I just don't understand why Pavel's hits are always flawless and the most devastating, while our other players (Kronwall & Abdelkader) can't ever just deliver a good body check. Watch the beginning of Datsyuks goal against Nashville this year. He starts by knocking a guy on his ass. No elbows, no flying arms, no leaving his skates. Just good technique.

#36 Pskov Wings Fan

Pskov Wings Fan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:14 PM

NAD timing for Abdelkader. I just don't understand why Pavel's hits are always flawless and the most devastating, while our other players (Kronwall & Abdelkader) can't ever just deliver a good body check. Watch the beginning of Datsyuks goal against Nashville this year. He starts by knocking a guy on his ass. No elbows, no flying arms, no leaving his skates. Just good technique.

Same here. Why do they try to move up rather then just drive through the guy while staying level?

#37 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:15 PM

Everyone needs to listen to the last 30 seconds of the Babcock clip. He's basically saying our Forwards are not strong and we don't have enough of them. This is a General Manager problem. Ken Holland needs to make 2 acquisitions this off season or are waiting time. Iginla and Morrow to the Pens. We strike out. Why?

#38 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,225 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:15 PM

Then you're blind. He clearly hits the head first in all angles, and even if he leaves his feet after initial contact, you're still not allowed to leave your feet on purpose to make a hit worse. By the way his body was during that hit, it appears that he left his feet in a controlled manor. The only way you don't see it for what it is is if you're a homer. And I am 100% if this were Perry on Datsyuk, you'd be crying for blood. 

And the point remains, if Abdelkader kept himself on his feet, and his shoulder down, this would have been a big CLEAN hit, no penalty, no misconduct, no possible suspension. Just another case of Abdelkader being an idiot and making the worst possible play and costing the Wings a playoff game, just like 2009, 2010, and 2011.

I love how people are being called homers for seeing it differently than others :rolleyes:

#39 BuckeyeWingsfan80

BuckeyeWingsfan80

The more the better

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:19 PM

that's because Datsyuk is on a whole other level as a hockey player.

Don't take it from fans on LGW, take it from his peers. NHL players have spoken and they think Tootoo is the dirtiest player in the league.

Get a clue already.

#40 Mitchmac33

Mitchmac33

Come on son!

• PipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:22 PM

lydman.gif

There was one other angle that was played on FSD that, to me, showed him going shoulder to shoulder first.  Unfortunately all the clips on youtube that i've seen have been from NBC and didn't have that angle.  If anyone should find it they should post it.