• Please log in to reply
303 replies to this topic

#101 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,978 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 03:05 PM

This is par for the course for Abdelkader, he is infamous for taking boneheaded penalties that cost the Red Wings games and series.

I blame Brunner. His mistake hurt us more than Abdelkader's penalty. Down one after the penalty was not too bad, but then Brunner goes and cough's it up and it is downhill from there.
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#102 matt198913

matt198913

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 03:06 PM

Abby has been playing his heart out... The only one forechecking out there last night!!!!
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#103 Dirty Dangle

Dirty Dangle

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 03:12 PM

We'll find out soon enough here. 

#104 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,936 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 03:13 PM

Does anyone have one of those tweety things that lets people text you about stuff like this?  I'm waiting and checking here for the news.

#105 Dirty Dangle

Dirty Dangle

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 03:14 PM

Does anyone have one of those tweety things that lets people text you about stuff like this?  I'm waiting and checking here for the news.

Nothing as of yet.  Watching closely though. 

#106 matt198913

matt198913

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 03:14 PM

I do but the best thing is to follow Khan on twitter

#107 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,936 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 03:17 PM

I do but the best thing is to follow Khan on twitter

That's the thing I'm talking about!  Let us know!  I added $5 to my Money on the Board pledge if he escapes the Shanaban. 

#108 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 03:18 PM

I just want to know why the ref standing right next to the hit didn't raise his arm.  He was staring directly at it from 2 feet away and didn't make a call.  None of this 'he waited to talk to the other officials' stuff, because if there is a penalty, they put their arm up at the time of the infraction and they can discuss it afterwards to determine severity.  They called it charging and threw him out because Lydman didn't get up.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

#109 Dirty Dangle

Dirty Dangle

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 03:20 PM

I just want to know why the ref standing right next to the hit didn't raise his arm.  He was staring directly at it from 2 feet away and didn't make a call.  None of this 'he waited to talk to the other officials' stuff, because if there is a penalty, they put their arm up at the time of the infraction and they can discuss it afterwards to determine severity.  They called it charging and threw him out because Lydman didn't get up.

The trailing official made the call from about center ice. 

#110 matt198913

matt198913

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 03:22 PM

The trailing official made the call from about center ice. 

Which is real curious to me because how in the world can one see that as charging?

#111 Dirty Dangle

Dirty Dangle

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 03:26 PM

Hearing underway for #RedWings F Justin Abdelkader for hit on Ducks Toni Lydman. Decision expected later tonight.

https://twitter.com/...142357036703745

#112 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,936 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 03:28 PM

Tonight?  I thought he was doing it over the phone.  Doesn't that usually mean that Shanny will just deliver the news to the person?

#113 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 03:29 PM

Not trying to sound mean, but have you ever played before? There isn't exactly time to always calculate where you need to hit people and how to adjust due to other people's movements.  There are times when a hit to the head is unavoidable, short of not making the hit at all.  

This is exactly what I think every time I read a post on this thread.
I wouldn't be surprised if he got suspended because every expert seems to think he will, but I think It's a borderline play. Hopefully he gets no more than 2 games

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

#114 matt198913

matt198913

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 03:29 PM

Is this an in person hearing!!!? If so not good. Shanaban will have to wear a helmet in Detroit on his next visit!

#115 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 03:31 PM

Is this an in person hearing!!!? If so not good. Shanaban will have to wear a helmet in Detroit on his next visit!

phone hearing

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

#116 loutswings

loutswings

Rookie

• Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 03:44 PM

i just wish they let these guys play more. It was a tough hit and it looked bad. But everyone that has played hockey knows that you have to keep your head up at all times. The NFL is starting to do this crap and they put it in the hands of the refs. Most times calls like these can change the game. 

#117 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,139 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 03:47 PM

Not trying to sound mean, but have you ever played before? There isn't exactly time to always calculate where you need to hit people and how to adjust due to other people's movements.  There are times when a hit to the head is unavoidable, short of not making the hit at all.  

Which is why hits to the head are not inherently illegal.  The NHL has a video demonstrating legal and illegal hits that involve contact to the head.

They also account for whether or not a player moved just prior to contact being made.

The game is fast and there's always going to be grey areas, which is where I think this hit lies.  But players also need to recognize when what they're attempting is a high risk hit and make sure they contact the body solidly.  That's ultimately what checking is supposed to be and if they can manage to get back to more of that, I'm all for it.

Unfortunately there's going to be some questionable calls and suspensions as the league and players adjust.  These refs can't even manage to make a simple hooking call consistently.  I'm not surprised they're all over the map regarding hits they have to evaluate at full speed.

For those worrying that there's no hitting in the game anymore, watch the Kings-Blues series.

#118 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 03:52 PM

Best of luck Abs, but I'm not sure he's getting out of this one without a sentence.

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#119 Resetti

Resetti

Rookie

• Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 03:53 PM

I don't think there's any chance that Abby doesn't get suspended.  The bar was set pretty low after the Gryba hit resulted in a suspension, and this hit was much worse because of the upward explosion.  It seems pretty clear to me that his skates leave the ice going into the hit (rather than after the hit) and it looks like he makes contact with the head.

I guess we'll all know soon enough.

#120 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,646 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:00 PM

And then this:

@reallisa: More Selanne:"It's interesting to see what Shanny's gonna do. He played here too. I think everybody is following close. It's a tough job too

LOL already playing the preemptive "Shanny played here" card...

If I were Shanny and read this s*** I would definitely NOT give Abby the suspension.