Photo
* - - - - 11 votes

Should Howard be benched?

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

Poll: Should Howard be benched?

Should we bench Jimmy Howard?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Sabaton617

Sabaton617

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:38 PM

No but very short-leash and if its even just to light a fire under them, there is nothing to lose.

A short leash from his left ankle tied to the crossbar.  Lately I get  nervous when he leaves the crease to play the puck. While the Calgary game was the worst I've seen by far, he sure made it far too easy for Getzlaff to score the second goal last night.  Brunner made the initial mistake by turning it over but Howard seemed a little slow in deciding to leave the crease and try to knock the puck away from Getzlaff.  I voted no to pulling Howard but his decision making playing the puck worries me.

#42 joshy207

joshy207

Black Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:13 PM

They didn't trust Gustavsson to play in regular season games, what makes you think they trust him in the playoffs?????  The only way Howard comes out is if he dies.  Even then, he might be better than Gustavsson.

#43 Number19

Number19

I like our team

• PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:32 PM

And replace him with who? Look I'm always been on the we can't win it all with Howard bus but there is no realistic option behind him right now. "Monster" is a joke and our other goalies don't have more than a couple games of NHL experience. None of the goals last night were his fault either. 3 players left open in front of the net/slot and a turnover right in front of the net.

Edited by Number19, 05 May 2013 - 09:33 PM.

#44 HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

Hi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,079 posts
  • Location:Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 762.20 miles from the Joe Louis Arena

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:35 PM

And who the hell would we put in? Howard has kept us in so many games this year, it's our offense that can't score if there life depended on it.

hadthomasvokounonfortst.jpg
Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

#45 redwings15

redwings15

Rookie

• Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:14 PM

No. Gustavsson is not the answer.

#46 sjr2012

sjr2012

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:15 PM

as a goalie i always blame myself for my team going out but thids is not jimmy our Scoring sucks 4-0 llast night im pretty sure goalies don't come out and score either so how is it immy? if we would have lost 1-0 last night it would have been the same NO GOALS!

try to get something by me i dare you

:goalie:

#47 SaCkaveli20

SaCkaveli20

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:25 PM

Every game he lets in 1-2 soft goals, after awhile it's time to make a change. I think he's what is holding us back right now. 

You want him to score too?

Horrible thread..

#48 Wing-in-avs-town

Wing-in-avs-town

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:30 PM

Howard IS the reason we even made the playoffs. As it's all ready been stated, the Wings have scored 1 goal total in the 2 games they've lost. Yep, that's a goal tending issue.  So I think you gotta "Dance with the one that brought you"

The early bird may get the worm, but it's the 2nd mouse that gets the cheese.

#49 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,224 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:32 PM

Should your account be benched?

Posted Image

#50 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:41 PM

Every game he lets in 1-2 soft goals, after awhile it's time to make a change. I think he's what is holding us back right now. 

Sure, we've got lots of backup goalies who can score goals.

Might as well. 

Correct, because coming back from a 1-2 hole in a series is something that no team has ever done. Are you for real?

No but very short-leash and if its even just to light a fire under them, there is nothing to lose.

Nothing to lose? In a 2-1 series?

The problem is there is no rallying when we're behind, so if he lets in 1 soft goal and we're losing it's over. We can't come back in games and we can't afford to be behind.

Besides the fact that that doesn't make any sense at all, exactly why would it then be better to bench him in favor of an inferior goaltender who is more likely to let in bad goals?

Edited by Crymson, 05 May 2013 - 10:42 PM.

#51 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:05 PM

I wasn't serious tbh. I'd bench him for real if we had 08 Ozzie backing up

bringit.jpg

#52 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:20 PM

When a poll is this lopsided, shouldn't it just be deleted? It's annoying that I keep seeing it bumped up to the top when there's more interesting and relevant threads below it

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

#53 Ally

Ally

just figured out how to change my title

• PipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:21 PM

Whoopsie. Did I wander into a Canucks forum?

"Everything he does is exciting to watch.” -Holmstrom describes Datsyuk

#54 Solidus

Solidus

Jr. Prospect

• 19 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:28 AM

Maybe if we still had Joey Mac. 

#55 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,621 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:42 AM

Should Howard be benched?

Can you drive to Hawaii? 

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#56 Resetti

Resetti

Rookie

• Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:59 AM

Howard isn't the problem.  Making a goaltending change for Game 4 would smack of desperation, and not the good kind.  The Red Wings can beat the Ducks but the defense has to start playing better.

#57 cupforwings

cupforwings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:19 AM

lol :facepalm:...  I'm not trying to be mean, but It seems you seriously lack knowledge of the game of hockey.

#58 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:39 AM

They didn't trust Gustavsson to play in regular season games, what makes you think they trust him in the playoffs?????  The only way Howard comes out is if he dies.  Even then, he might be better than Gustavsson.

Well, Perry DID try to slice Howards head off in game one...maybe there is a conspiracy going on? Hmmmm.....

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#59 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,601 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:01 AM

The guy has been our best player all year.  He needs to be better for us to win this series, putting the Monster in isn't even an option at this point.  We live with Jimmy and we will die with Jimmy.  He could make 80 saves next game and it wont mean anything if we can't put the puck in the net.

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

LGW after 1 loss is irrational, after a few in a row it becomes quite comical, 22 playoff appearances in a row and 4 cups in that time and still going strong. Relaxxxxx !!

#60 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,937 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:03 AM

Why are the Ducks allowed to crash the crease? Where is the defense? The Ducks should not be that close to the net and certainly not be allowed to take a pass in that area. Has nothing to do with Howard.
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate