• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 ben_usmc

ben_usmc

Kenny Powers Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:31 AM

I don't think we deserve answers, I think people should accept it and move on. Shanahan is always going to be hit or miss with these calls (more recently they've been misses), but it is what it is.

exactly.  He is in a position that can't please everyone.  

There's no I in team, but there's a U in c***, so don't be little jealous c***s

#22 barabbas16

barabbas16

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:18 AM

The only answer we'll get is none... Bettman said it best when the league rescinded the Malkin instigator.  "We need our stars playing, we don't need them suspended."  Weber is far more important to the NHL than Abby...without Malkin, the Pens would have gone down 3 games to nil and probably lost the series in 09.  Without Weber, the Wings may have extended the series a bit longer or won it of they had gained momentum...

Shanahan definitely has a thankless job and it is impossible for him to please everyone.  I don't know if we deserve answers, but I think the above post leans toward what the answer is..... If you're not a star player - "We're cracking down on head shots.  Here is the rule book."  If you're a star player - "Well, you sell tickets and we want to see you on the ice.  Plus, we can't find the rule book at the moment."  It is a double standard and it is hypocrisy.  It is also the world we live in.

#23 jeff48109

jeff48109

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,522 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:33 AM

How about the butt ends Henrik Sedin and Bourque dished out in yesterday's games? those were shots to the head

#24 Mitchmac33

Mitchmac33

Come on son!

• PipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:46 AM

How about the butt ends Henrik Sedin and Bourque dished out in yesterday's games? those were shots to the head

Ya no joke, I just posted the vid of Bourque in the other Abby thread.

#25 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:34 PM

It's too bad you can't square up anymore in this league. The second one guy lets go of the other guys jersey the bettman striped buttholes swarm in.

This league is really starting to suck. I know its been in the works for awhile, but it's getting to that point where I'm not excited to watch playoff hockey anymore.

Ballet is a huge exagreration mang, try Soccer. They should change the name of the league to ENHL. (European No Hitting League) Gone are the days of Scott Stevens.

That's what I was aiming for.  I went to an extreme because the NHL is such extreme BS these days.  Make equipment out of the crock material and you'll have less roadkill on the ice.  I'm gonna look it up and get back to you guys on it, cause I think it's really worth while to have the NHL implement proper equipment for not just goalies but players too.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#26 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:47 PM

After watching last night's train wreck between Montreal and Ottawa, and nothing being done to any of those guys, I call bat guano on Abby's punishment.  And I'm being as polite as I dare to be.

Posted Image

#27 Kmahrle83

Kmahrle83

Wings 4 Life!

• Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:57 PM

In reference to non-suspensions of Malkin and Weber, I can't agree more, but I think the reason that Abby got two, other than two games being par for the course this playoff season for suspendable hits; is mainly because this ( being "blindsided hits" ) was an issue that the league has addressed and stated over and over again through disciplinary measures that they will not tolerate it. Believe me I'm just as pissed as the next guy about to new NHL tuning soft and that Abby's hit was pretty borderline and etc etc. Bottom line is you have to adapt, especially when it comes to "blindside" hits. IMO. I just think that this particular type of hit has been addressed for several years now and that is why Abby got suspended for it.

Also the Weber incident was such a joke non-call that it received national media attention, so you know that's just a total ball dropping by the league.

I don't recall which weber incident you guys are referring to.  Could one of you please gimmie a video so I can see it again?

Lets go RED WINGS!!!

#28 Manny>Ozzie(by a long shot)

Manny>Ozzie(by a long shot)

Starting Goaltender

• PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:14 PM

I want to see #FireShanny trend on Twitter!!
[ Image violated Forum Guidelines. Please use images sixed 400x100 pixels or smaller. ]

Just playin Chris, you know I love you!

lilja is an icelandic pony
lilja is an average high girl with blond hair and very sexy
lilja is about the sweetest kitten we have raised here
lilja is the comatose victim of a questionable accident

#29 Rhah

Rhah

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:17 PM

#30 Kmahrle83

Kmahrle83

Wings 4 Life!

• Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:19 PM

ohhh yeah, thanks.  That was some pure bull pucky.

Lets go RED WINGS!!!

#31 Smite

Smite

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:16 PM

the most dangerous about that play just missed. It was the haymaker that missed Z's head before he turn buckled him.  

Ask Bert what happens when you punch someone in the back of the head. I still laugh when I hear the Nashville organization try to defend what he did. 

"When the cast comes off, I ask my doctor, 'Have I recovered so I can play the violin?' The doctor says, 'But of course you can play the violin.' I say, 'Wow, this is great. Before this injury, I could never play violin at all. I must break the other hand so I can play guitar.'" –Pavel Datsuk on breaking his hand

#32 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,695 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:26 PM

All y'all need to stop living in the past with demanding retribution/explanation/etc. for the Weber hit.

Yes, it was a bad non-call, non-suspension, Shannywithhisheadinhisass kind of situation.

...and I love PainTrain as much as the next guy, but he gone.  He ain't coming back.

I'm pissed at Abby.  He's been playing well, been a good presence on the ice and then crosses the line and does something REALLY unnecessary.

Abby's hit was questionable and he compounded the issue by both exploding upwards into the hit (and in turn leaving his feet during impact) and extending his arms.  Keep your s*** in tight and rock the body, you got yourself a clean hit...

OR DO YOU?

More than anything else:

I want a more coherent explanation of the Gryba on Eller hit. It's topical.  It's current. 

It's going to be a video comparison we see over and over and over moving forward.  ...and I still think it's clean as a bar of Irish Spring.

The video shown in the Shanaban explanation shows that initial point of contact is the chest and shoulder area. To me, it's clear. Impact is chest/sternum, glancing head, glancing right shoulder. It's unfortunate that hitting the ice opened up Eller's precious face, but c'mon Shanny this is grasping...

You say Eller is eligible to be hit, but then quantify it with nonsense!! 

I don't even understand what "taking the wrong route" means or "enough of a full body check." 

He doesn't explode upwards.  He doesn't extend a shoulder, elbow, or fore-arm. 

Get out your protactor, t-squares, and level to measure the angle of body checks folks...  This is what it's come to.

Agreed.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#33 Yeti

Yeti

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:37 PM

I raise.

08663332db6c9a877d7ce8e829735a039d414492

and i will raise you...

corey-perry-pavel-datsyuk-2010-10-8-23-0

#34 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:38 PM

That Orpick hit is perfect. Lateral force. Exploding up is dumb.

#35 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,695 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:43 PM

That Orpick hit is perfect. Lateral force. Exploding up is dumb.

I'm trying to tell ya.  And the thing to take from it is, it accomplished everything it was supposed to WHILE AT THE SAME TIME not injuring anyone.  He imposed himself physically, he separated the man from the puck, he broke up the rush AND he didn't injure anyone.  That's exactly how you should be hitting in any era, past or present. 

Edited by kipwinger, 06 May 2013 - 02:47 PM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#36 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:44 PM

OP: your answer is the star player rule. For purposes of supplementary punishment, star players are treated differently from all others. This is why Weber got no suspension. This is also why Pronger got two one-game suspensions in 2007 for his two ridiculous hits rather than being kicked out of the playoffs after the second one, as any non-star player would have.

Sad but true. I was hoping that Shanahan would bring greater integrity, backbone, and consistency to the discipline scene, but he lost all credibility within one season of starting at the job. Now he's a farce just like Campbell was.

#37 OhioWing

OhioWing

Jr. Prospect

• 16 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:08 PM

When I saw the hit I figured one or two games.  He left his feet after skating across the rink and popped him high with a shoulder and then the arm came out like a swing as he bounced off.  It looked worse than it was the the Duck laid on the ice long enough to get the additional pity added to a 2 minute penalty to make it a 5.

All of that said, if that was done to Dats none of us would be defending it as a clean hit and unworthy or suspension.  We would be screaming for at least 2 if not more and some of us would be looking for capital punishment.

Based on the rules in place now, that was not a clean hit and Abby should have known it was going to end bad.

unworthy of suspension - damn fat fingers

#38 BuckeyeWingsfan80

BuckeyeWingsfan80

The more the better

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:24 PM

LOL good luck getting "answers", as if the NHL's disciplinary actions are or were ever considered answerable to the fans.

Just get over it already and focus on the game at hand - it's over and done with.  Mistakes were made.  It happens.  One doesn't lead into another, this isn't the WWE.

Don't take it from fans on LGW, take it from his peers. NHL players have spoken and they think Tootoo is the dirtiest player in the league.

Get a clue already.

#39 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,086 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:03 AM

1. Weber is a star. Abdelkader is not.

2. The Predators unequivocally need Weber. We don't unequivocally need Abdelkader.

3. Physics. And stuff.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#40 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:58 AM

What really got me was watching the Montreal - Ottawa free for all the other night, and absolutely nothing was handed down to any of them, including the Montreal guy (I forget who) who took his stick and whacked the Ottawa guy in the back of the legs with a two-hander.  They made 3/26/97 look like a Boy Scout campout.  And nothing was done to them - not one thing.  I am sad now I didn't watch the whole thing, and I'll be interested to see what happens tonight.  But even one of the Montreal players skated by the Ottawa bench and was yelling at the players and coach.  Come on, really?

I smell double standard...and it's rank.

Posted Image