• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
unsaddleddonald

Need to break Anaheim's 3-man forecheck.

Rate this topic

Ducks' forecheck continued to give the Wings issues. Everytime Kindl or Quincey were in behind the net, I held my breath.

Break the forecheck by quick outlets which requires your D to be able to recognize and make quick and correct decisions.

Anaheim has been able to keep this strategy up due to our lack of overall team speed I think. We can't get up the ice quick enough to really make them pay for being so agressive.

On the flip side, we don't offer up much of a forecheck. Again, due to lack of overall team speed to be able to get back into the play.

Agreed.

That kind of forecheck has given the Wings fits for the last couple seasons now. And with our current defensive corps they're even more likely to get rattled.

Against the Kings the Blues have been leaving someone like Oshie out at center ice cherry picking and tried long stretch passes to try to capitalize on the forecheck. I almost wonder if the Wings should try some of that. If it even leads to one breakaway it might back the Ducks off a bit.

Otherwise it doesn't seem like they have a lot of set plays for breaking out of the zone under forecheck so it requires the Dmen to make a quick decision, probably take a big hit, and make a good pass.

Against the Kings the Blues have been leaving someone like Oshie out at center ice cherry picking and tried long stretch passes to try to capitalize on the forecheck. I almost wonder if the Wings should try some of that. If it even leads to one breakaway it might back the Ducks off a bit.

I've thought about that as well. I think the Blues can afford to do that as they have a more stable D at this point. Those long stretch passes are a huge part of breaking a forecheck.

For us, it is a matter of can our guys execute that play? I was at the game last night and Quincey in particular, when he had the puck it was almost as if Anaheim smelled blood and sent two guys at him everytime to force him into a mistake.

Here's the key to breaking their forcheck. Finally score on the countless odd man rushes we get out of it. We have yet to pot one of those so they can deam the high risk forcheck worth I because we aren't making them pay by putting it in the net.

I don't personally think we've had a lot of odd man rushes in this series. That's part of what I was talking about with overall team speed.

I believe it was game 2 but might hve been game 3... Detroit was doing the long stretch pass. Problem was it was to guys like Abdelkader and cleary. If it was to a guy with speed like Nyquist or helm (sigh) it could have made a bigger difference I think

I believe it was game 2 but might hve been game 3... Detroit was doing the long stretch pass. Problem was it was to guys like Abdelkader and cleary. If it was to a guy with speed like Nyquist or helm (sigh) it could have made a bigger difference I think

Totally agree.

There were a bunch of times this season where Abby would be the recipient of a stretch pass and, god bless him, he couldn't control it (because that isn't the type of player he is).

I've thought about that as well. I think the Blues can afford to do that as they have a more stable D at this point. Those long stretch passes are a huge part of breaking a forecheck.

For us, it is a matter of can our guys execute that play? I was at the game last night and Quincey in particular, when he had the puck it was almost as if Anaheim smelled blood and sent two guys at him everytime to force him into a mistake.

I've seen Ericsson do it. I think it was just a few games ago actually. Kindl and Smith are capable of it but it depends on how rattled they are under the forecheck. Quincey, honestly I don't know. He's got a decent first pass but I can't remember him making a big stretch pass like that.

Honestly though I can't remember Kronwall having one and it seems like he should have the skills to do it, so maybe it's just my failing memory. :lol:

Agreed.

That kind of forecheck has given the Wings fits for the last couple seasons now. And with our current defensive corps they're even more likely to get rattled.

Otherwise it doesn't seem like they have a lot of set plays for breaking out of the zone under forecheck so it requires the Dmen to make a quick decision, probably take a big hit, and make a good pass.

This is also why we miss guys like helmer so much. He gets that outlet pass even a half step ahead of their D men, and he's gone. He doesn't have the hands yet to finish most likely, but having him constantly rushing their goalie by himself will make them think twice before forechecking that hard the whole time.

Agreed.

That's why losing DeKeyser was so huge. He's our calm, cool, collected guy back there.

Guest The Axe

I'm more concerned about forwards like Brunner and Nyquist not trying up guys on the back check. Ducks second goal was all about 14 and 24 watching instead ofplaying gritty defense.