• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
haroldsnepsts

Norris Finalists announced: Letang, Subban, Suter

Rate this topic

Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie 1h

Letang, Subban and Suter named finalists for the Norris Trophy.

Not surprising. These days you can guess who'll be nominated by picking the 3 defensemen with the most points.

Predictions for the winner?

I haven't seen enough of these guys to have an informed opinion comparing them. Not that that's ever stopped the voters. :P

Jesus....didn't the Norris trophy used to have nominees that were actually incredible defensive players?

This list seems so ridiculous compared to what we saw even just a few years ago.

Agreed. And the nominees are literally the top three point getting defenseman.

Here's the likely 2013 Norris winner showing why he deserves the award!

(I'm not talking about Boyle. Note the pylon he blows past)

Guest Johnz96

Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie 1h

Letang, Subban and Suter named finalists for the Norris Trophy.

Not surprising. These days you can guess who'll be nominated by picking the 3 defensemen with the most points.

Predictions for the winner?

I haven't seen enough of these guys to have an informed opinion comparing them. Not that that's ever stopped the voters. :P

Chara and Weber both weren't among the top 3 scorers last year but were finalists for the award.

Edited by Johnz96

Chara and Weber both weren't among the top 3 scorers last year but were finalists for the award.

True, but the other two in the top three were Byfuglien and Campbell. Fugly is not a very good defenseman and if memory serves spent part of the season literally playing as a forward, not just as a defenseman who essentially acts as another forward. Campbell only had 4 goals and got 30 of his assists on the PP.

I was obviously exaggerating in that it's not always literally 1,2,3 like this season, but it seems to be getting closer to that. And if you pick the top 3 "name" defenseman with the most points you have a great chance of being right about the nominees, regardless of whether they actually had a solid year defensively as well.

Jesus....didn't the Norris trophy used to have nominees that were actually incredible defensive players?

This list seems so ridiculous compared to what we saw even just a few years ago.

Exactly. I hope a guy like Brent Seabrook wins the Norris one day, cause he's one of the best "overall defensemen" in the league and doesn't get the credit cause he doesn't rack up points on D, cause HE'S PLAYING DEFENSE!

Anybody but Suter, I like that Subban kid, he had enough and threw down last night, can't see Lidstrom ever doing that but one's a HOFer and a perfect human, the other is just a pretty good defenseman.

Guest The Axe

so two trophies to the top scoring dman? :P

It probably would happen frequently! You're right. But it would allow the NHL to not jam the Lidstroms out of Norris trophies because of the Brian Leech's and Rob Blake's of the league. Give those guys the Orr so they don't gripe, big save the prestige of recognizing all around skill for the Norris.

I really can't comment on Subban and Letang because I don't watch much East stuff, but as one living in the Wild area, I watch quite a few Wild games. If anything Suter should get the "most improved" award. He's looking good right now, but at the beginning, he wasn't anything to write home about.

I have to say that the quality of Norris candidates has dropped without Nick in the lineup.

Exactly. I hope a guy like Brent Seabrook wins the Norris one day, cause he's one of the best "overall defensemen" in the league and doesn't get the credit cause he doesn't rack up points on D, cause HE'S PLAYING DEFENSE!

Exactly what I'm talking about. Seriously, what happened to this award? Why has the criteria completely changed the past 2-3 seasons?

It's kind of like how the Heisman has become an offensive award in college football. Ridiculous.....and this is coming from a guy that played Center his whole career and pinched way too often for my teams' own good. ;)

Guest The Axe

I really can't comment on Subban and Letang because I don't watch much East stuff, but as one living in the Wild area, I watch quite a few Wild games. If anything Suter should get the "most improved" award. He's looking good right now, but at the beginning, he wasn't anything to write home about.

I have to say that the quality of Norris candidates has dropped without Nick in the lineup.

I wonder what we'd look like right now if we had Parise and Suter.

Guest The Axe

We wouldn't be talking about nyqust or lashoff that's for sure

I know! Part of me is glad they went to Minn.

It probably would happen frequently! You're right. But it would allow the NHL to not jam the Lidstroms out of Norris trophies because of the Brian Leech's and Rob Blake's of the league. Give those guys the Orr so they don't gripe, big save the prestige of recognizing all around skill for the Norris.

Lidstroms?? :confused1: