• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
haroldsnepsts

Norris Finalists announced: Letang, Subban, Suter

Rate this topic

Guest The Axe

What about Quincey

Its the defensive side that hurt Quincey. His offense was there.

:-)

They are lucky Karlsson got injured or he would run away with it because of his point total. Not the best group of finalists I've ever had to choose between.

Jesus....didn't the Norris trophy used to have nominees that were actually incredible defensive players?

This list seems so ridiculous compared to what we saw just a few years ago.

Perhaps, but offense has always been a pretty big component as well. In that last 45 years, there has only been one player that has won the award while scoring less than 50 points (Rod Langway). Actually, other than Rod Langway, in the last 45 years, there has only been 2 instances of less than 59 points (50 and 54). I didn't bother checking where those lined up against other defensemen for those years though...the 50 and 54 may have been very close to leading

But that's because the Norris Trophy is for the defenceman who has "demonstrated the greatest all-around ability" at the position. Hence why defensive defencemen like Derian Hatcher and Scott Stevens never won it.

That said, its a pretty paltry list this year. Would lol hard though if Subban wins it after all the frothing at the mouth in some parts when there was speculation earlier in the season that we could trade for him :D

But that's because the Norris Trophy is for the defenceman who has "demonstrated the greatest all-around ability" at the position. Hence why defensive defencemen like Derian Hatcher and Scott Stevens never won it.

That said, its a pretty paltry list this year. Would lol hard though if Subban wins it after all the frothing at the mouth in some parts when there was speculation earlier in the season that we could trade for him :D

But on the flipside Karlsson just won it and he doesn't have the greatest all around ability at the position either. He's an amazing offensive defenseman but still has to develop his game in the defensive end.

Last nights game was more evidence of Karlsson's suspect decision making. After the game Maclean made comments about how they'd go over the mistakes Karlsson made and talk to him, and that sometimes he plays for the other team, but when he plays for their team he makes them better.

Stevens actually used to be more of an offensive defenseman. He has the skillset, they just reigned that in in Jersey under Lemaire's system.

Subban. Easy pick

He'd be my 3rd pick from that list. I think Letang is better both offensively and defensively, so Subban wouldn't even be a choice for me. So, between Letang and Suter, some would probably discount Letang's offensive numbers because of his teammates and then they'd consider Suter to be better defensively + he had the highest ice time = win for Suter. I haven't seen them all play all that often though, so the assumption that Suter is better defensively might not be a valid one.

Perhaps, but offense has always been a pretty big component as well. In that last 45 years, there has only been one player that has won the award while scoring less than 50 points (Rod Langway). Actually, other than Rod Langway, in the last 45 years, there has only been 2 instances of less than 59 points (50 and 54). I didn't bother checking where those lined up against other defensemen for those years though...the 50 and 54 may have been very close to leading

Of course it is, but my point was in regards to defensive play. The calibre of guys nominated this year pale in comparison to those just 2-3 years ago.

I guess I give it to Subban, though I haven't watched enough full Montreal games to know what his defense is like. Then again, NOBODY has actually watched enough hockey to vote authoritatively on all the candidates. The Norris isn't supposed to be the "reverse Selke trophy". It tends to go the defenseman with the best offensive numbers, so long as they are considered passable on defense, which is just backwards in my opinion.

A lot of Minnesota fans think that Suter is a front runner because of his defense and the minutes he plays. I guess I'm fine with him being a finalist, but it seems to be forgotten that he was downright TERRIBLE for about 15 games with the Wild. He looked completely out of place, and no goals until about halfway through the season, and wasn't even assisting much back when the Parise-Koivu-Heatley line was actually starting off on fire. If his first half had been like his second half, I could see it, but Subban came back from that contract dispute and was awesome from Day 1.

Guest Johnz96

Should be a huge win for Suter the guy locks up big minutes, is elite and rarefly makes mistakes just look at Weber without him.

You mean the defenseman that lead his team in scoring?

Edited by Johnz96

He'd be my 3rd pick from that list. I think Letang is better both offensively and defensively, so Subban wouldn't even be a choice for me. So, between Letang and Suter, some would probably discount Letang's offensive numbers because of his teammates and then they'd consider Suter to be better defensively + he had the highest ice time = win for Suter. I haven't seen them all play all that often though, so the assumption that Suter is better defensively might not be a valid one.

if it means anything to you suter had the lowest +/- out of the three

if it means anything to you suter had the lowest +/- out of the three

+/- means absolutely nothing at all to me....that's a team stat more than anything. The only time it would mean something to me is if you had a stat that was far in excess of anyone else on the team. You can be the best defensive player in the world and never get a + if your team isn't able to score.

Heard a discussion today on these 3 where it was suggested that Letang's production be discounted because he gets so much from playing the powerplay with Malkin and Crosby and I thought to myself that Subban probably gets most of his points on the PP....turns out I was correct. There is no comparison between these 3 when it comes to even strength points. Letang had 25, Suter had 17 and Subban had 12 (26 of his 38 pts on the PP).

Guest The Axe

Heard a discussion today on these 3 where it was suggested that Letang's production be discounted because he gets so much from playing the powerplay with Malkin and Crosby and I thought to myself that Subban probably gets most of his points on the PP....turns out I was correct. There is no comparison between these 3 when it comes to even strength points. Letang had 25, Suter had 17 and Subban had 12 (26 of his 38 pts on the PP).

Hard to have a "who makes who better" argument. Is it Oates or Hull that makes the line? Stamkos or St. Louis? I think that defense is what needs to be considered first. So start with the +/- of these guys. Who's the Larry Robinson of the bunch?