55 replies to this topic

#41 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,498 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:40 AM

Subban. Easy pick

He'd be my 3rd pick from that list.  I think Letang is better both offensively and defensively, so Subban wouldn't even be a choice for me.  So, between Letang and Suter, some would probably discount Letang's offensive numbers because of his teammates and then they'd consider Suter to be better defensively + he had the highest ice time = win for Suter.  I haven't seen them all play all that often though, so the assumption that Suter is better defensively might not be a valid one.

#42 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:54 PM

id give it to weber, seabrook or chara, due to their defensive skills

That's what I've been saying.  Those guys still put up respectable points and they are leagues above the other guys aside form Suter on D, thus out of the 3 nominees, Suter gets my vote. 

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#43 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:52 PM

Perhaps, but offense has always been a pretty big component as well.  In that last 45 years, there has only been one player that has won the award while scoring less than 50 points (Rod Langway).  Actually, other than Rod Langway, in the last 45 years, there has only been 2 instances of less than 59 points (50 and 54).  I didn't bother checking where those lined up against other defensemen for those years though...the 50 and 54 may have been very close to leading

Of course it is, but my point was in regards to defensive play.  The calibre of guys nominated this year pale in comparison to those just 2-3 years ago. 

It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#44 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,682 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:11 PM

Of course it is, but my point was in regards to defensive play.  The calibre of guys nominated this year pale in comparison to those just 2-3 years ago. 

I seem to recall some years ago the league gave some thought to the idea of introducing a new award for the best defensive minded Dman.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#45 Behind Enemy Lines in CO

Behind Enemy Lines in CO

Rookie

• HoF Booster
  • 146 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:42 PM

And we have one of our Norris finalists cross checking a referee at the end of the Pens-Isles game last night. Stay classy NHL.

#46 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:57 PM

I guess I give it to Subban, though I haven't watched enough full Montreal games to know what his defense is like.  Then again, NOBODY has actually watched enough hockey to vote authoritatively on all the candidates.  The Norris isn't supposed to be the "reverse Selke trophy".  It tends to go the defenseman with the best offensive numbers, so long as they are considered passable on defense, which is just backwards in my opinion.

A lot of Minnesota fans think that Suter is a front runner because of his defense and the minutes he plays.  I guess I'm fine with him being a finalist, but it seems to be forgotten that he was downright TERRIBLE for about 15 games with the Wild.  He looked completely out of place, and no goals until about halfway through the season, and wasn't even assisting much back when the Parise-Koivu-Heatley line was actually starting off on fire.  If his first half had been like his second half, I could see it, but Subban came back from that contract dispute and was awesome from Day 1.

#47 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:38 PM

Should be a huge win for Suter the guy locks up big minutes, is elite and rarefly makes mistakes just look at Weber without him.

You mean the defenseman that lead his team in scoring?

Edited by Johnz96, 09 May 2013 - 12:38 PM.

#48 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:21 PM

And we have one of our Norris finalists cross checking a referee at the end of the Pens-Isles game last night. Stay classy NHL.

Yeah, but referee's suck.

#49 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:29 PM

He'd be my 3rd pick from that list.  I think Letang is better both offensively and defensively, so Subban wouldn't even be a choice for me.  So, between Letang and Suter, some would probably discount Letang's offensive numbers because of his teammates and then they'd consider Suter to be better defensively + he had the highest ice time = win for Suter.  I haven't seen them all play all that often though, so the assumption that Suter is better defensively might not be a valid one.

if it means anything to you suter had the lowest +/- out of the three

#50 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,498 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:04 PM

if it means anything to you suter had the lowest +/- out of the three

+/- means absolutely nothing at all to me....that's a team stat more than anything.  The only time it would mean something to me is if you had a stat that was far in excess of anyone else on the team.  You can be the best defensive player in the world and never get a + if your team isn't able to score.

#51 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,498 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:17 PM

Heard a discussion today on these 3 where it was suggested that Letang's production be discounted because he gets so much from playing the powerplay with Malkin and Crosby and I thought to myself that Subban probably gets most of his points on the PP....turns out I was correct.  There is no comparison between these 3 when it comes to even strength points.  Letang had 25, Suter had 17 and Subban had 12 (26 of his 38 pts on the PP).

#52 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:30 PM

Heard a discussion today on these 3 where it was suggested that Letang's production be discounted because he gets so much from playing the powerplay with Malkin and Crosby and I thought to myself that Subban probably gets most of his points on the PP....turns out I was correct.  There is no comparison between these 3 when it comes to even strength points.  Letang had 25, Suter had 17 and Subban had 12 (26 of his 38 pts on the PP).

Hard to have a "who makes who better" argument. Is it Oates or Hull that makes the line? Stamkos or St. Louis? I think that defense is what needs to be considered first. So start with the +/- of these guys. Who's the Larry Robinson of the bunch?

#53 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,498 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:40 PM

Hard to have a "who makes who better" argument. Is it Oates or Hull that makes the line? Stamkos or St. Louis? I think that defense is what needs to be considered first. So start with the +/- of these guys. Who's the Larry Robinson of the bunch?

Well...like I said, +/- means nothing to me.  Letang has the best amongst the 3, but that doesn't make him the best defensively.  If he was, I think he wins the Norris easily.

#54 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:00 AM

Well...like I said, +/- means nothing to me.  Letang has the best amongst the 3, but that doesn't make him the best defensively.  If he was, I think he wins the Norris easily.

Best +/- and most points = Norris. Wanna bet on it?

#55 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:21 AM

Suban wins. How much of season did he miss?

#56 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,498 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:46 AM

Suban wins. How much of season did he miss?

I can't find a single reason to think Subban should win