72 replies to this topic

#21 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,647 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:52 PM

waynerooney--415x415.jpg

Seriously, we need a big, top 6 winger and a top 4 defenseman. And of course, an enforcer to punch people in the face.

Edited by GMRwings1983, 07 May 2013 - 08:59 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#22 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,175 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:22 AM

I think we should either go for a proven scorer who isn't a superstar, or a better version of abdelkader to make room for the superstars.
Nothing else, unless someone jumps out at us (like Hossa in 2008).
Free agents that jump out to me:
ribiero
morrow
Horton
clowe
gagne
Ryder
penner
Roy
Some of those guys might be a little pricey, but if we could get 1-2 of those guys I would be extatic
I love our core right now, and with our young guys only getting better I think we're just a couple pieces away from greatness once again

Honestly, I think out of your list, Michael Ryder would be a perfect fit here.  Dude can snipe and he's right handed as a bonus.  If we got him and didn't re-sign guys like Cleary and maybe even let Flip go if he wants too much, then we can still have the Nyquist's and Tatar's in the line up and acquire a guy like Ryder. 

I like the looks of:

Z-Dats-Abby

Mule-Helm-Ryder

Brunner-Andersson-Goose

Tootoo-Emmerton-Tatar

Miller/Tuzzi

Kronwall-Ericsson

DeKeyser-Smith

Lashoff-Kindl

Quincey

I wish Quincey wasn't here and Almqvist could come up and play half the games, but 1 more year and Q should be gone.  Buyout Colo and Sammy.

Free darkmanx!

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

#23 AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk

Nobody rules these streets at night like me...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:26 AM

We need a reality check. Get rid of some floaters and free agent mistakes and get players about to reach their prime, with heart, grit, and who can stay healthy. I would rather not limit this to free agents, make some trades, get creative, not just checking names off a list.

I am a victim of the science age...the underground.

Feed the Swede! - RETIRED 2012

#24 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:52 AM

We need a reality check. Get rid of some floaters and free agent mistakes and get players about to reach their prime, with heart, grit, and who can stay healthy. I would rather not limit this to free agents, make some trades, get creative, not just checking names off a list.

You realize our GM doesnt do these things, right?

#25 Matt

Matt

D<[[[| x11

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,070 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:03 AM

Is there... is there another Suter laying around?

#26 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:22 AM

Is there... is there another Suter laying around?

Yup. His name is Brendan Smith. Just wait 3 or 4 years. He will be Suter, but with an edge.

#27 kickazz

kickazz

Rookie

• Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:26 AM

The reality of it is, if they don't resign Filpula, we're stuck with Zetterberg being a center for the 2nd line which is no good. Z has been terrible as a center these past few years, his faceoff percent is dwindling. Z is a natural winger and should stay as one. Another option is for Mule to center the second line if we didn't resign Filpula, but would Babs really go through with that? Probably not. He's tried mule as center and mule's actually a good center but not sure if Babs wants it to be a permanent thing.

Hopefully Helm can be 100% by next season and center the second line. Can you imagine that? Our second line would be sooo fast and dominant against opposing teams. You would have a lot of finesse and shooting with Pav and Z on first line and a lot of speed on the second line. That's a great combo for a team if you ask me.

#28 RedWingCraig

RedWingCraig

Rookie

• Pip
  • 155 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:34 AM

Is Mrazek ready?

No

Holland has these things to do:

1) extend Days thru 18/19 = 7 mil per.
2) sign Flip = 7 years, 4.5 per.
3) Get rid of Cleary, White, Colo, Bert, Sammy, Miller, Eaves, Gustavsson, and Tootoo one way or the other.

Zetterbrrg-Datsyuk-Franzen
Filppula-Helm-Tatar
Nyquist-Andersson-Brunner
Sheahan+Emmerton-Frk

Nestrosil

Ericsson-Kronwall
DeKeyser-Kindl
Quincey-Smith

Lashoff, Almquist

Howard
Mrazek

Keep the youth movement trucking!

If he signs Fil at 4.5 for 7 years he needs to be fired on the spot...and Almquist won't be on this team next season and neither will Frk

The reality of it is, if they don't resign Filpula, we're stuck with Zetterberg being a center for the 2nd line which is no good. Z has been terrible as a center these past few years, his faceoff percent is dwindling. Z is a natural winger and should stay as one. Another option is for Mule to center the second line if we didn't resign Filpula, but would Babs really go through with that? Probably not. He's tried mule as center and mule's actually a good center but not sure if Babs wants it to be a permanent thing.

Hopefully Helm can be 100% by next season and center the second line. Can you imagine that? Our second line would be sooo fast and dominant against opposing teams. You would have a lot of finesse and shooting with Pav and Z on first line and a lot of speed on the second line. That's a great combo for a team if you ask me.

Andersson could easily be a 2nd line center

#29 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:34 AM

I really like the idea of:

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Horton
Filppula-Helm-Franzen
Brunner-Andersson-Nyquist
Abdelkader-Emmerton-Tatar

I think its going to be difficult for Kenny to get Horton, but I think we are one top line forward away from being legit. We have to throw away our garbage this offseason, though.

#30 Yzerfan1999

Yzerfan1999

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:28 AM

Here is my mock-up.  Its a dream, and I know I will get s*** for the Heatley thing but I bet he could be had for pretty cheap from Minnesota due to his high cap hit and only 1 year remaining.  The guy can still score and needs a bit of a push to get his game back on track.  I think Detroit could easily turn him into a 35+ goal scorer again on a line with Dats or Zetter.  Don't really know who we'd have to give up...

My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Johan Franzen ($3.955m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Dany Heatley ($7.500m)
Gustav Nyquist ($0.788m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Damien Brunner ($1.350m)
Valtteri Filppula ($3.737m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m)
Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m) / Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) / Joakim Andersson ($0.605m)
Patrick Eaves ($1.200m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m) / Tomas Tatar ($0.840m)
DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)
Danny DeKeyser ($1.350m) / Jakub Kindl ($1.050m)
Kyle Quincey ($3.775m) / Brendan Smith ($0.827m)
Brian Lashoff ($0.725m)
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)
Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m)
OTHER
Buyout: Mikael Samuelsson ($1.000m)
Buyout: Carlo Colaiacovo ($0.600m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $65,309,254; BONUSES: $1,010,000
CAP SPACE (24-man roster): $746

When you lose, say little. When you win, say less.

--Thanks for the Sig. Offsides--

#31 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:30 AM

Buyout Sammy and Colo.  Let White and Cleary walk.  Flip will probly price himself out of a Wings sweater.

Only problem with that is it exacerbates our 2 biggest problems - lack of size up front and lack of puck moving skill on the rear end.

Thing is, there are going to be a lot of buyouts and salary dumps this off-season, we just don't know who they will be yet.  We have a logjam of small, skilled forwards available for salary dumps and there will be some good but overpaid players who get bought out.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#32 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,575 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:44 AM

Here is my mock-up.  Its a dream, and I know I will get s*** for the Heatley thing but I bet he could be had for pretty cheap from Minnesota due to his high cap hit and only 1 year remaining.  The guy can still score and needs a bit of a push to get his game back on track.  I think Detroit could easily turn him into a 35+ goal scorer again on a line with Dats or Zetter.  Don't really know who we'd have to give up...

My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Johan Franzen ($3.955m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Dany Heatley ($7.500m)
Gustav Nyquist ($0.788m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Damien Brunner ($1.350m)
Valtteri Filppula ($3.737m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m)
Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m) / Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) / Joakim Andersson ($0.605m)
Patrick Eaves ($1.200m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m) / Tomas Tatar ($0.840m)
DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)
Danny DeKeyser ($1.350m) / Jakub Kindl ($1.050m)
Kyle Quincey ($3.775m) / Brendan Smith ($0.827m)
Brian Lashoff ($0.725m)
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)
Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m)
OTHER
Buyout: Mikael Samuelsson ($1.000m)
Buyout: Carlo Colaiacovo ($0.600m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $65,309,254; BONUSES: $1,010,000
CAP SPACE (24-man roster): $746

With the injury experience Detroit had this year, if they into the season with only $746 available Cap space, they are screwed...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

#33 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:50 AM

we need to dump the garbage on this site that is holding it back, you know the ones that every three or four days start a new thread saying the same thing as their last thread... 

#34 redwings15

redwings15

Rookie

• Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:52 AM

You guys really think Holland will get rid of Flip, Bertuzzi, Sammy, Cleary, Miller, White, and Colo? This would be clearing house for Holland, and Holland just doesn't do that to players with whom he's had a relationship--even if they're UFAs. 

#35 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:00 AM

If all of our UFA's left, would we really miss any of them? Maybe brunner, but even he has issues-but still young enough to make improvements. But really, Miller, Cleary, White, Filppula? What did these guys really give us this year? Not much. Combined they make around 9 million. Do they even have 9 goals between them? JK on that point. But let them all walk. Maybe even Brunner if it means we can sign a Clarkson and Horton.

#36 MasterPavel

MasterPavel

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:06 AM

I don't know why people think Holland won't use his buyouts. Colo is gone, especially since there isn't a long term relationship with him. Sammy could be axed as well, more unlikely but still possible.

#37 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:14 AM

I don't know why people think Holland won't use his buyouts. Colo is gone, especially since there isn't a long term relationship with him. Sammy could be axed as well, more unlikely but still possible.

using a buyout on sammy-1 year left on his contract is a waste of a buyout. use those on guys that are signed and hitting our cap untill they are 40. wasting 3 million in cap space for 1 season is not that big of a deal. wasting 4+ million on a guy for 3, 4, 5 years after he is retired is a HUGE deal. Ref: Kronwall 32 w/ 6 more seasons of cap hit, Franzen 34 with 7 more seasons of cap hit, and Zetterberg 33 with 8 more seasons of cap hit. ages as of dec 31, 2013.

#38 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,575 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:24 AM

using a buyout on sammy-1 year left on his contract is a waste of a buyout. use those on guys that are signed and hitting our cap untill they are 40. wasting 3 million in cap space for 1 season is not that big of a deal. wasting 4+ million on a guy for 3, 4, 5 years after he is retired is a HUGE deal. Ref: Kronwall 32 w/ 6 more seasons of cap hit, Franzen 34 with 7 more seasons of cap hit, and Zetterberg 33 with 8 more seasons of cap hit. ages as of dec 31, 2013.

IF you think that Holland will buy any of those three, then whew! That is some big changes!

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

#39 MasterPavel

MasterPavel

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:35 AM

IF you think that Holland will buy any of those three, then whew! That is some big changes!

This, and I thought that as long as the contracts were signed under the old cba when said player retires it doesn't effect the current cap.

#40 Yzerfan1999

Yzerfan1999

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:41 AM

With the injury experience Detroit had this year, if they into the season with only $746 available Cap space, they are screwed...

That is very true.  I've got 5 full lines on the board there though, I didn't send anything back to the Wild in return for Heatley, I was just going on the assumption that a million or two in players would be sent back.  Either way, just a mock-up.  I'd love to see a pure goal scorer on each of the top two lines. I think Franzen and a guy like Heatley would work.

When you lose, say little. When you win, say less.

--Thanks for the Sig. Offsides--