• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#41 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

GooZe! Z Jr. ~ Acting Captain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,034 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:46 PM

I would like to see the following changes (without naming any UFA names to acquire, we all know we need some more scoring and a possibly via trade a #1 Defender.)

I know I will get flamed for mentioning Franzen, but I think Holland should try to find a team that would take on that long contract. I still think Vancouver is the logical place and considering there horrific dump thus far in the playoffs, they will be looking for some changes as well. So after the season, possibly at the draft I trade Franzen. For this scenario, I am trading Franzen for Burrows. (just hypothetical)

If Filppula also will not come down from his $5M demand, I also trade his rights at the draft or at least before he becomes a UFA.  Not sure what he would bring being a pending UFA, but the prices have been pretty high around the league for pending UFA's, so he may bring more than expected... for this scenario I am trading him to Dallas for Erik Cole. (hypothetical)

Ok, flame on with those two, but I think the rest of what I think we need to do will garner more support from you guys.

Ian White - leaves as a UFA.  Obviuosly there is no room for him and Babcock has no intention of playing him anyhow...

Drew Miller - leaves as a UFA.  He would be missed, but roster spots are scarce and Patrick Eaves is already signed for another year, so unless there is a trade that involves Eaves, I think Miller will not be here next season...

Daniel Cleary - leaves as a UFA.  Thank you Dan for the years and heart, but again, roster spots are scarce and its time to move on to youth.

Todd Bertuzzi - Either an amnesty buyout or LTIR.  Either way, his roster spot and cap hit is needed.  Again, it's obviously Babcock has no interest in playing him, or he just isn't healthy enough.

Mikael Samuelsson - Amnesty Buyout. Period.  He has no place on this team, no matter what he does in the remaining playoff games, his spot is needed and so is his cap hit.

Carlo Coliaicovo - Either amnesty buyout or sent to the minors (if buyouts are used on Bert and Sammy) and if he happens to clear waivers his "buried" cap hit will only be $1.575M instead of his full $2.5M.  Sure its valuable cap space, but with the emergence of Jakub Kindl and the sign of Danny Dekeyser, there just is no room for him, unless the Wings want to carry 8 defensemen, but that $925K in cap relief could come in handy. If we are lucky someone claims him and we lose the entire $2.5M.

We obviously re-sign Damien Brunner, Joakim Andersson, Gustav Nyquist, Brenden Smith & Jakub Kindl.  Then all season long you work on getting Danny D re-signed long term and try to convince Datsyuk to re-sign for a couple more seasons...

So that leaves me with a roster like this:

Burrows - Datsyuk - Tatar

Cole - Zetterberg - Brunner

Andersson - Helm - Nyquist

Tootoo - Emmerton - Abdelkader

Eaves

Kronwall - Ericsson

Dekeyser - Kindl

Quincey - Smith

Lashoff

Howard

Monster

...this is just me, I really don't see Holland trading Franzen, but if any team calls about him, it'll be Vancouver and it's my opinion that Burrows is a much more consistent player, and a completely different type of player than Franzen.  It is likely that Filppula is not a Red Wing next year if he doesn't come down from $5M, to more like $4M.  But still, its time to change and Val just doesn't add up to what we need in the East.

Like I said, I don't even want to drop any UFA names because I too think the UFA crop this year will get WAY overpaid... I do like the idea of Clowe and/or Penner on this team for size.  The possibilities are endless. I just hope Holland doesn't "like this team" and keep it the same for his virgin voyage in to the Eastern Conference...changes are needed.

$4.5M too much for Val...and no way Frk, Sheahan or Nestrosil are ready for the NHL, especially the East.  They may get some time, but they need to get gradual time...Tootoo also needs to stay for our journey East.

I agree with all but 2 things.  I hate Burrows, though I like your idea of Cole.  He has value even when not scoring, which is a good start.  And the other thing is minor, Nestrasil is terrible, and judging by his WJ hissy fit way back when, he'd be a good fit for Vancouver or Montreal.  They can have him for free.  Frk needs at least the tweener season in GR.  He's got a boomer of a shot and he's smart, but just like Jarnkrok, he needs to trasition his game before taking that huge leap to the NHL.  DeKeyser is our future #1.  Kid's a stud to say the least.  Apparently the announcers were drooling over Sproul in GR, so he's looking good moving forward and Ouellet will no doubt be awesome.  I wouldn't want Kenny to spend too much time on D, rather him go after a guy like Cole as you mentioned to beef up our top 6/3rd line and add some more much needed toughness.

This offseason will determine whether Ken Holland should still be employed with the Wings organization.

Please put Smith on the Power Play!

#42 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,269 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:47 PM

I am with you! This team needs a pure goal scorer for sure. Except I still Franzen is still too inconsistent. I would love to see Burrows here in his place as I think Vancouver would take Franzen from us considering their playoff poop out this year...they need change as do we. Franzen would be marvelous with the Sedins....

Franzen for Burrows...

Filppula for Cole

Minny buysout Heatley and Wings sign him at a barain!

:lol: How is that for a fantasy mock up!

Laugh it up, delete it all, I'll be laughing when it happens! -4/17/14

Money on the board: $30.00 plus immunity.

Franzen = 0.333 PPG

#43 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,034 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:52 PM

using a buyout on sammy-1 year left on his contract is a waste of a buyout. use those on guys that are signed and hitting our cap untill they are 40. wasting 3 million in cap space for 1 season is not that big of a deal. wasting 4+ million on a guy for 3, 4, 5 years after he is retired is a HUGE deal. Ref: Kronwall 32 w/ 6 more seasons of cap hit, Franzen 34 with 7 more seasons of cap hit, and Zetterberg 33 with 8 more seasons of cap hit. ages as of dec 31, 2013.

Those signings are all under 35 and if they retire before their contracts are up, they come off the books.

And a side note, we don't need to re-sign Miller, Cleary, Eaves...any of those type guys, even though I still like Eaves, when we have guys like Callahan, Ferraro and Sheahan to name a few coming up when their contracts are up.  No more time for bridge contracts for guys that are easily replaceable.

This offseason will determine whether Ken Holland should still be employed with the Wings organization.

#44 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:56 PM

We can teach Dustin Penner to be the next Tomas holmstrom

Sure, if he weren't soft, lazy, and so fragile that pancakes can injure him.

#45 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:13 PM

Those signings are all under 35 and if they retire before their contracts are up, they come off the books.

And a side note, we don't need to re-sign Miller, Cleary, Eaves...any of those type guys, even though I still like Eaves, when we have guys like Callahan, Ferraro and Sheahan to name a few coming up when their contracts are up.  No more time for bridge contracts for guys that are easily replaceable.

I don't think that is correct anymore, that is why the buyouts were added as an option to the new CBA. So you could remove guys from your cap.

#46 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,787 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:23 PM

Smith and Tatar for Yandle.  Sign Horton or Clarkson, or potentially Christ Stewart (he might be an RFA though, I'm too lazy to look) and we're all set. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#47 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,034 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:40 PM

I don't think that is correct anymore, that is why the buyouts were added as an option to the new CBA. So you could remove guys from your cap.

Even though they were signed under the old CBA?  I think we need a rule book thrown at us on this one.  A direct quote can settle this up.  One would think that contracts like Z, Mule and Kronner would fall under the old CBA cause that's what's written in the actual contract themselves, but I could be wrong. 

#48 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,592 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:56 PM

I forgot Abby, too. Remove Sheahan and put Abby there. I just don't like the crop of UFA's this year.

I don't know how many times this year i've seen you post a roster and completely miss a player who will clearly be on the team..it makes whatever credibility you have around here even less.

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

LGW after 1 loss is irrational, after a few in a row it becomes quite comical, 22 playoff appearances in a row and 4 cups in that time and still going strong. Relaxxxxx !!

#49 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:14 PM

Even though they were signed under the old CBA?  I think we need a rule book thrown at us on this one.  A direct quote can settle this up.  One would think that contracts like Z, Mule and Kronner would fall under the old CBA cause that's what's written in the actual contract themselves, but I could be wrong. 

It's referred to as the Roberto Luongo Rule:

http://prohockeytalk...in-the-new-cba/

If a player who signed a back diving contract retires before the end of it, the cap advantage (salary above the cap hit in the early years of the contract) are recovered in the remaining, post retirement years until the original contract is up. 

Edit: It should go without saying that since it's nicknamed the Roberto Luongo Rule that it applies to contacts signed before the new CBA, but I'll say it anyway so there's zero debate.

Couple of other thoughts on some things mentioned earlier:

• I would be highly surprised if Kenny bought out any of the Wings' existing long term contracts i.e. Hank, Mule, or Kronner.  Those mentioning that, you do realize that means they're gone right?  No re-signing them after a contract buy out.
  • On trading for Heatley.  Doubt Kenny will have to give up assets if he wants him.  Minny only has 17 players on contract next year & a little over $9m to build out their roster.  Heatley is pretty much guaranteed to be bought out.

Edited by ogreslayer, 08 May 2013 - 02:23 PM.

Money on the Board 2014: $5 per series, $5 per sweep, $5 per Kronwalling, $10 per Marchand Kronwalling, $1 per Zetterberg game, $1 per 2013 Calder Cup roster player goal

#50 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,269 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 03:38 PM

If Heatley gets bought out, I wouldn't mind inking the All-Star up to play with Dats.  Still ironic if it happens since he was the one who Suter called to get the guarantee that they have a good enough team to win it all.  Nothing personal Mary Kate, just business... With the buyout, Heatley would be WAY less expensive to sign, so we wouldn't have to worry about his cap hit being $7M+.  Not telling how much he would cost, but he could give a team a HUGE discount for a year to come in and earn his next big contract...

Franzen = 0.333 PPG

#51 Mitchmac33

Mitchmac33

Come on son!

• PipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 04:19 PM

Honestly, I think out of your list, Michael Ryder would be a perfect fit here.  Dude can snipe and he's right handed as a bonus.  If we got him and didn't re-sign guys like Cleary and maybe even let Flip go if he wants too much, then we can still have the Nyquist's and Tatar's in the line up and acquire a guy like Ryder. 

I like the looks of:

Z-Dats-Abby

Mule-Helm-Ryder

Brunner-Andersson-Goose

Tootoo-Emmerton-Tatar

Miller/Tuzzi

Kronwall-Ericsson

DeKeyser-Smith

Lashoff-Kindl

Quincey

I wish Quincey wasn't here and Almqvist could come up and play half the games, but 1 more year and Q should be gone.  Buyout Colo and Sammy.

Yes, I like the Ryder idea.  That was my first thought when I saw that list.

#52 matt198913

matt198913

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,889 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 04:28 PM

You all that put Abby on the 4th line are dreaming. He is finally developing into that top 6 guy. He is only going to get better too. Let the team develop please!!!!

This playoff year is huge because of that reason. Andersson is our new 3rd line center. Possibly 4th line if Helm returns.
Dekeyser and Smith will be our shutdown pair for the next 5 years.
Look at what development has done for Big Rig.... He looks great out there poised and ready. No need to rush Sproul or Oulette let them cook.
Frk is not ready, you have to be able to play D on this team as well as O.
Sheahan will get his shot next year Tartar will be a regular next year, and I will even say Mrazek will back up Howie other than that. We need to fill with decent free agents and signing Pavel is a must!!!
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#53 shaunlang

shaunlang

Prospect

• 32 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 05:23 PM

Flip ain't worth 2.5 m. Time to get rid of him sick of one hand on stick and falling all over.Doesnt hit at all ,too many give aways .CANT FINISH

#54 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,269 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 05:35 PM

You all that put Abby on the 4th line are dreaming. He is finally developing into that top 6 guy. He is only going to get better too. Let the team develop please!!!!

This playoff year is huge because of that reason. Andersson is our new 3rd line center. Possibly 4th line if Helm returns.
Dekeyser and Smith will be our shutdown pair for the next 5 years.
Look at what development has done for Big Rig.... He looks great out there poised and ready. No need to rush Sproul or Oulette let them cook.
Frk is not ready, you have to be able to play D on this team as well as O.
Sheahan will get his shot next year Tartar will be a regular next year, and I will even say Mrazek will back up Howie other than that. We need to fill with decent free agents and signing Pavel is a must!!!

Honestly I am seeing Andersson staying the 3rd line center with the emergence of Emmerton....

Datsyuk, Helm, Andersson, Emmerton... That keeps Hank and Pav together and it also keeps the kid line together on the 3rd.  I like Emmerton, Abby and Tootoo for a 4th line with Eaves rotating in and out. If we can acquire someone like Erik Cole to play next to Helm on the 2nd line that would a pretty sizeable line to play against...

Franzen = 0.333 PPG

#55 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 05:46 PM

erik cole is finished ... theres a reason montreal got rid of him and why he continued sucking ass in dallas so NO THANKS

ryder has a shot but thats all he has he doesnt bring anything else , doesnt play 2 way and doesnt show up in the playoffs babcock would hate him .... again no thanks

burrows for franzen? no thanks ... mule is inconsistent yes but he shows up in the playoffs when it counts ... besides i dont think anyone would take him

#56 blgillett

blgillett

Stevie the one and only Captian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:46 PM

Is Mrazek ready?

I don't think he will be for 2 or 3 years yet but maybe he will surprise us
"He was standing there like a cigar store Indian" Mickey Redmond
"Holmstrom gets more attention around the net than a pretty girl around closing time!" Mickey Redmond
IPB Image

#57 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:52 PM

I don't think he will be for 2 or 3 years yet but maybe he will surprise us

hes young , let him play another 2 full years in the ahl before backing up for one year and taking over the nhl

#58 MasterPavel

MasterPavel

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:14 PM

A name nobody has mentioned is Viktor Stalberg. I would take him in a heartbeat...

#59 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Beat Boston!

• Gold Booster
  • 5,014 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:41 AM

In order of need, IMO:

1. A goal-scoring winger

2. Top four d-man

3. A reliable backup for Jimmy

#60 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,269 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:47 AM

In order of need, IMO:

1. A goal-scoring winger

2. Top four d-man

3. A reliable backup for Jimmy

#2 and #3 probably will not happen unless someone like Weber becomes available and I think Monster will be fine given an entire season...

I think we need 2 top 6 winger on this team...

Trade Val to Dallas for Erik Cole

Trade Franzen to Vancouver for Alexandre Burrows

Draft one of: Anthony Mantha, Kirby Rychel, Valentin Zykov, Frederik Gauthier, Ryan Pulock, Steve Santini or Madison Bowey...

Franzen = 0.333 PPG