• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 luvmnger

luvmnger

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:33 PM

alright...i have noticed this for a few years. most red wings interviews contain a key word that get said over, and over, and over and.....

is it a michigan thing? a wings thing? a hockey player thing?

i am from michigan, and dont remember this.

"YOU KNOW"

thats it. its in between sentences, everywhere...i dare someone to take shots during an interview of a wings player....and remember the rest of the night.

over 13 times....in a 1:25

over 12 in 1:20

http://youtu.be/1StDie1_bsc

cleary only got 9 in 1:20....hmmm slacking?

if you put it into perspective...apparently whomever is giving the interview already knows. :g:

Dino Ciccarelli will always be #1

#2 PavelValerievichDatsyuk

PavelValerievichDatsyuk

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:16 PM

How about a drink for every time Howard sniffs in an interview. You'd think the guy was a coke addict.

#3 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:45 PM

"You know" = "ummm"

When youre smarter than "uhhhh" and "ummm", but not quite smart enough for minimal pauses while gathering your thoughts, you say "you know". Brian Hayward is the smartest guy in hockey. Listen to him a few times, and you'll see what an Ivy Leaguer sounds like.

#4 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,608 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:16 AM

These tics have nothing to do with intelligence. It has to do with comfort talking. And clearly they are asked stupid questions frequently and they're not focused on the interview.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#5 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,140 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:22 PM

To get an idea of what being interviewed after a game is like:

After watching a Wings game, sprint around the block a few times.  Then have someone ask you questions about the hockey game you just watched.  Make sure they videotape your answers.

When answering remember that you can't use profanity, you're trying not to sound like an idiot, you're trying not to say anything that might reflect poorly on the team or anything that will inflame your opponent and end up a motivational quote, and you're also trying just to catch your breath.  

Also you probably never went to college and took public speaking courses.

It ain't easy.

#6 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,983 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:29 PM

After watching a Wings game, sprint around the block a few times.  Then have someone ask you questions about the hockey game you just watched.  Make sure they videotape your answers.

When answering remember that you can't use profanity, you're trying not to sound like an idiot, you're trying not to say anything that might reflect poorly on the team or anything that will inflame your opponent and end up a motivational quote, and you're also trying just to catch your breath.  

It ain't easy.

Not to mention, if you just lost the game you are pissed off.

#7 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,954 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:32 PM

99.9% of sports interviews are boring and predictable.

Every now and then you'll have moments like Tyson saying he wanted to eat Lennox Lewis' children.  But those are unfortunately rare.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#8 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:35 PM

Im not saying they should be perfect. Im just saying that pauses like um, uh, you know, and ya'know what Im'sayin are signs of poor speech.

#9 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:34 PM

It ain't easy.

Exactly. That's why players usually sound a lot more comfortable in press conferences

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

#10 Phil Lesh

Phil Lesh

Silver apples in the sun.

• PipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:03 PM

How about a drink for every time Howard sniffs in an interview. You'd think the guy was a coke addict.

He's not addicted, he just likes the way it smells.

#11 luvmnger

luvmnger

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:14 AM

He's not addicted, he just likes the way it smells.

thats the best possible answer i have ever heard....im stealing that!

thanks phil!

Dino Ciccarelli will always be #1

#12 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:34 AM

I thought this was going to be about Daryl Reagh using 25 cent words that don't really sound like the belong in a hockey game.

But I guess drinking every time and athlete uses a filler in an interview would get me smashed a hell of a lot quicker though!

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#13 Peadydog

Peadydog

Rookie

• HoF Booster
  • 109 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:39 AM

Im not saying they should be perfect. Im just saying that pauses like um, uh, you know, and ya'know what Im'sayin are signs of poor speech.

Well, um, I guess they aren't being paid to speak, you know.

#14 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:18 AM

"You know" is the new "like".

#15 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:08 PM

99.9% of sports interviews are boring and predictable.

Every now and then you'll have moments like Tyson saying he wanted to eat Lennox Lewis' children.  But those are unfortunately rare.  

I still use the quote "my defense is inpregnable".  Mostly when playing NHL online. 

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#16 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:43 PM

I've noticed the same thing! In fact, just about a week ago FSN was interview Abby and he said "you know" well over 20 times (although I didn't exactly keep count). It was literally every single sentence and sometimes twice in a sentence. I actually started laughing near the end cause I truly think Abby has the all time "you know" record by far

12041887825_d4b1d5c02f_o.jpg

#17 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:48 PM

Doc Rivers tried to implement a no "You know" or "Umm" rule the year after the championship, all that happened was instead of players saying fillers, and everyone moving on, everyone started pointing at each other like "oooohhhh gotcha" and cracking jokes at each other for saying fillers.

So Doc dropped the rule.

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#18 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,936 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 02:10 PM

"You know" is the new "like".

No wonder I still say "like" every sentence and "you know" sometimes, but not as much.  The youngsters say "I know, right", which I find really annoying when I'm training people at work. 

Me:  Don't tell me "I know", you know?  I'm the one who knows, you know?  You don't know, I do know, you know.  That's why I'm teaching you, you know?
Them:  I know, right?

As far as "um" goes, a pastor once told me that at the seminary they would practice giving sermons and when someone would say "um", everyone else would yell "UM UM UM UM UM" until they all got out of the habit.  It was practice for public speaking, and since it was done in good fun, they all looked forward to that class.

I don't think most of the guys practice giving interviews, but I remember reading that Kopitar's grandmother taught him English by interviewing him in English after every game he played since he was a kid.  She thought it would be good for him to learn the language, and that this was a fun way for him to do it.  Good call, Grandma!

#19 martinezsvsu

martinezsvsu

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 02:43 PM

well they dont plan ahead on what they're going to say. its all off the top of their heads which is difficult. id rather hear them say "umm" and "you know" a bunch of times than hear them say "like" a million times sounding like a teenage girl

#20 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 03:40 PM

id rather hear them say "umm" and "you know" a bunch of times than hear them say "like" a million times sounding like a teenage girl

I almost think that "you know" sounds more retarded than "like" if you are saying it over and over, 20 times per reply...its close though, lol.