• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
luvmnger

drinking game!

Rate this topic

alright...i have noticed this for a few years. most red wings interviews contain a key word that get said over, and over, and over and.....

is it a michigan thing? a wings thing? a hockey player thing?

i am from michigan, and dont remember this.

"YOU KNOW"

thats it. its in between sentences, everywhere...i dare someone to take shots during an interview of a wings player....and remember the rest of the night.

over 13 times....in a 1:25

over 12 in 1:20

cleary only got 9 in 1:20....hmmm slacking?

if you put it into perspective...apparently whomever is giving the interview already knows. :g:

Guest The Axe

"You know" = "ummm"

When youre smarter than "uhhhh" and "ummm", but not quite smart enough for minimal pauses while gathering your thoughts, you say "you know". Brian Hayward is the smartest guy in hockey. Listen to him a few times, and you'll see what an Ivy Leaguer sounds like.

To get an idea of what being interviewed after a game is like:

After watching a Wings game, sprint around the block a few times. Then have someone ask you questions about the hockey game you just watched. Make sure they videotape your answers.

When answering remember that you can't use profanity, you're trying not to sound like an idiot, you're trying not to say anything that might reflect poorly on the team or anything that will inflame your opponent and end up a motivational quote, and you're also trying just to catch your breath.

Also you probably never went to college and took public speaking courses.

It ain't easy.

After watching a Wings game, sprint around the block a few times. Then have someone ask you questions about the hockey game you just watched. Make sure they videotape your answers.

When answering remember that you can't use profanity, you're trying not to sound like an idiot, you're trying not to say anything that might reflect poorly on the team or anything that will inflame your opponent and end up a motivational quote, and you're also trying just to catch your breath.

It ain't easy.

Not to mention, if you just lost the game you are pissed off.

Guest The Axe

Im not saying they should be perfect. Im just saying that pauses like um, uh, you know, and ya'know what Im'sayin are signs of poor speech.

It ain't easy.

Exactly. That's why players usually sound a lot more comfortable in press conferences

I thought this was going to be about Daryl Reagh using 25 cent words that don't really sound like the belong in a hockey game.

But I guess drinking every time and athlete uses a filler in an interview would get me smashed a hell of a lot quicker though!

Im not saying they should be perfect. Im just saying that pauses like um, uh, you know, and ya'know what Im'sayin are signs of poor speech.

Well, um, I guess they aren't being paid to speak, you know.

99.9% of sports interviews are boring and predictable.

Every now and then you'll have moments like Tyson saying he wanted to eat Lennox Lewis' children. But those are unfortunately rare.

I still use the quote "my defense is inpregnable". Mostly when playing NHL online.

I've noticed the same thing! In fact, just about a week ago FSN was interview Abby and he said "you know" well over 20 times (although I didn't exactly keep count). It was literally every single sentence and sometimes twice in a sentence. I actually started laughing near the end cause I truly think Abby has the all time "you know" record by far

Doc Rivers tried to implement a no "You know" or "Umm" rule the year after the championship, all that happened was instead of players saying fillers, and everyone moving on, everyone started pointing at each other like "oooohhhh gotcha" and cracking jokes at each other for saying fillers.

So Doc dropped the rule.

"You know" is the new "like".

No wonder I still say "like" every sentence and "you know" sometimes, but not as much. The youngsters say "I know, right", which I find really annoying when I'm training people at work.

Me: Don't tell me "I know", you know? I'm the one who knows, you know? You don't know, I do know, you know. That's why I'm teaching you, you know?

Them: I know, right?

As far as "um" goes, a pastor once told me that at the seminary they would practice giving sermons and when someone would say "um", everyone else would yell "UM UM UM UM UM" until they all got out of the habit. It was practice for public speaking, and since it was done in good fun, they all looked forward to that class.

I don't think most of the guys practice giving interviews, but I remember reading that Kopitar's grandmother taught him English by interviewing him in English after every game he played since he was a kid. She thought it would be good for him to learn the language, and that this was a fun way for him to do it. Good call, Grandma!

well they dont plan ahead on what they're going to say. its all off the top of their heads which is difficult. id rather hear them say "umm" and "you know" a bunch of times than hear them say "like" a million times sounding like a teenage girl

id rather hear them say "umm" and "you know" a bunch of times than hear them say "like" a million times sounding like a teenage girl

I almost think that "you know" sounds more retarded than "like" if you are saying it over and over, 20 times per reply...its close though, lol.