• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest L3T5G0W1NG5

WCQF Game 5 GDT: Red Wings 2 @ Ducks 3 (OT) - (ANA leads series 3-2)

Rate this topic

This was the most evenly matched game in this series so far. Both teams missed a lot of good opportunities and momentum was shifting frequently. Smith makes a ton of mistakes and his criticism is deserved, but might I remind everyone of Ericsson circa 2010-2011? There are inevitable growing pains with our rookie defense, but we shouldn't be so quick to write these guys off as evidenced by Ericsson's development over the past couple years and, to a lesser extent, Kindl's this year.

Realistically I just cannot see this team going deep this year even if we come out on top in the these last two games, but no one really considered this team a serious cup contender at any point during the season, so are we all actually that surprised that we may not make it out of the first round?

We need to be honest with ourselves. The Ducks had fire in the third period. The Wings didn't. The Ducks had tons of chances to end the game throughout the entire game. We got lucky they all kept missing the net. Outside of the middle part of the second period I thought the ducks were outplaying us most of the way. They seemed to want it and we didn't. I think it's interesting how we simultaneously we show the age of our veterans and the youth of our rookies.

My takeaways of the game:

Offense was virtually nonexistent. I feel both our goals were more luck oriented than skillful play. We still seem to be only taking shots from the corners or weak shots from the point. Never driving the puck to the net and there is rarely anyone in the slot.

Defense is showing it's inexperience. Made some good plays and made quite a bit of mistakes. Not much we can do about this other than play through it.

Howard was Howard. Nothing more to say about that.

Special teams are awful. The 5 minute major should have been a game ender. Instead if gave them the spark. Gonna have to seriously address this in the off season.

Also Quincey is still a bum and shouldn't be on this team.

Edited by CrimsonFlame

Smith was never hyped to be an All-Star. People hoped he would be but realistically his peak was set as a top 4 guy, wasn't he? Give him time.

The matchups will be in our favor in Game 6. Wings need to make a statement and seize momentum. Honestly, you can't put in Cola or White now. Definitely not in a Game 7. If Zetterberg can start producing like he should, that will make rookie mistakes hurt less.

Smith hasn't shown any flashes of brilliance his whole NHL career up til now. So much hype and he plays like a taller Lebda at best. Painful watching him play in the top 4

His whole NHL career to date has been 53 games spread over 2 seasons.

I expected him to progress more than he has, but it's too early to give up on him. He's still having positional problems at the NHL level but he's getting more physical and more confident in his offense.

That was Smith who made the nice stretch pass to Brunner catching the Ducks on a line change. I'd call that a flash of brilliance. Or at least Rafalski-like.

Edited by haroldsnepsts
cuz I typed power play but meant line change. me tired.

Wings lost that game and most likely the series off of the worst 5 minute PP i have ever seen in my life. Up 2-1 have a chance to really take control and they play it so bad that it completely turns around and they lose the game. Down 3-2 in the series and not looking good at all at least the rookies got some experience but when you look that bad on a 5 minute PP you deserve to lose the series that is not playoff hockey.

I thought it was a good game, other than the 1st period Wings played well enough to win. We had a chance when we were up 2-1, we hit 2 or 3 posts and had a 5 minute PP that we wasted. I thought the penalty to Smith there was extremely weak, leading to the 2-2 goal. After that it was a one shot game, we just weren't able to get it done this time. Should have killed the game much earlier.

This has been a great series and I'm not giving up. If we take Game 6 anything can happen in a Game 7. If we had Dekeyser and Helm I would be more confident but nothing is impossible.

If we end up losing, I'll just be happy we made the playoffs and got to see a great effort by this team against a very good opponent. The experience will be worth a lot for the young guys.

i don't know what all the hate is about. how can you guys not be disgusted by this team?

AHL garbage like lashoff on the ice, bumbling s*** left and right, while 2 legitimate NHL defensemen sit?

the effort on that 5min PP?

the captain floating around making blind passes like he's daydreaming of his vacation home in sweden?

the soft play from the softest team in the league?

sorry, this s*** is revolting. i stand by that.

Hahahahaha this post is so funny. I think you're just a little too upset, it's not over yet, buddy.

That said, I agree that the mental mistakes from Lashoff are damned frustrating, about as much as Smith's are. Look at this as just breaking in the rookies. The playoffs are unlike anything they've ever experienced. All excuses are gone next season, though!

The pathetic 5min PP was the worst part of the game, worse than losing. They could have gotten two easy goals there, if not ONE. Note To Wings: that requires actually trying.

Z gets some blame, yeah. Zero goals in the playoffs. Not sure how to excuse him there.

Not happy with Filppula...one farking point in the playoffs? Are you kidding me???? Yeah give him a raise, Kenny.

Kronner and Ericsson combine for a grand total of zero points. AWESOME!!

I wonder what kind of pathetic, sheepish display we'll see from the two of you if the Wings win the series.

Sorry, I guess that was misunderstood. I was thinking in more of a statistical manner. The whole "80%+ of the winners of Game 5 will win the series" is a very steep hill to climb. Add to that, Detroit would have to win Games 6 (Detroit) and 7 (Anaheim). I just don't think this team was built for anything past the first series this year (and the injuries were incredibly ridiculous). I think our team is moving in the right direction quite clearly and our depth is fantastic. The rooks have been great considering the situation. So little Playoff experience for about 1/3 of the team. I would easily eat crow if the Wings get to the second round because I would be so stoked because we get at minimum of 4 exciting Playoff games guaranteed. HOPE I'm wrong and the Wings overcome the odds. I mean, they have earned Playoff rights like the other 15 teams. Just an opinion of mine. :)

Hahahahaha this post is so funny. I think you're just a little too upset, it's not over yet, buddy.

That said, I agree that the mental mistakes from Lashoff are damned frustrating, about as much as Smith's are. Look at this as just breaking in the rookies. The playoffs are unlike anything they've ever experienced. All excuses are gone next season, though!

The pathetic 5min PP was the worst part of the game, worse than losing. They could have gotten two easy goals there, if not ONE. Note To Wings: that requires actually trying.

Z gets some blame, yeah. Zero goals in the playoffs. Not sure how to excuse him there.

Not happy with Filppula...one farking point in the playoffs? Are you kidding me???? Yeah give him a raise, Kenny.

Kronner and Ericsson combine for a grand total of zero points. AWESOME!!

Kronner/E have been great, who cares if they haven't gotten any points yet? Zetterberg is probably not 100% or even close to it. He's a warrior and is still involved in a lot, including both goals last night. Hopefully he can empty whatever he has left in his tank in Game 6 and if possible a game 7.

Filppula has to be better. His one point was a great one but overall he's not getting anything done offensively. He's doing okay on faceoffs and defense atleast.

The PP was terrible. It's unfortunate though that we couldn't have gotten a break on atleast one of our shots in the post. Most likely that would have meant a win for us and better outlook.

Very back and forth game, I think the Ducks played better than us as a whole though. Nyquist and Howard are the only two to have a great game. Zetterberg, Kronwall, Ericsson were ok.Fil's line stuggled, outside of a couple shifts.

Not a great game, but we still came extremely close, we had a ton of hit posts, with a little lucky we would have been able to hold on. Oh well series is far from over, get it to game 7 and anything can happen. We really need to be tougher in their zone, their forecheck is just tremendous compared to the pressure we put on them, I think that's been the main difference, every shift they seem to get it deep and get a good bodycheck, we don't.

Babcock got caught with a line full of inexperience on the ice and they couldn't get the puck out of their end. LOL at some blaming Quincey for crappy play, have you watched anyone else on the D? Turnover machines.

Very back and forth game, I think the Ducks played better than us as a whole though. Nyquist and Howard are the only two to have a great game. Zetterberg, Kronwall, Ericsson were ok.Fil's line stuggled, outside of a couple shifts.

Not a great game, but we still came extremely close, we had a ton of hit posts, with a little lucky we would have been able to hold on. Oh well series is far from over, get it to game 7 and anything can happen. We really need to be tougher in their zone, their forecheck is just tremendous compared to the pressure we put on them, I think that's been the main difference, every shift they seem to get it deep and get a good bodycheck, we don't.

What's making me angry is the pressure being applied when our guy is setting up a play, and no one is coming back to help out. Also when there is someone to help out, they pass it too late. Just mental mistakes that are killing them. It's been happening in every game, and it looks like nothing has been done to fix it.

This has been a great series, we have been fortunate to stay in it as the Ducks seemed to push and pull as we have been. It all came down to a best of three and they have 1. WE have Abby on the way back so Im sure he'll be back on 1 so with the thought of 4 strong centers in mind this is my thought...

Franzen Datsyuk Abdelkader

Sammy Zetterberg Brunner

Nyquist Filpulla Bert

Eaves Andersson Tatar (in for the injured Clear-fingers crossed)

The Wings are full of rookies and in a short season where you don't have nearly as much time to practice between games so the rookies have less time to mature and learn from their mistakes. They were basically thrown into the fire. To have 5 guys out there at once that are rookies, the only actual bad play there was Andersson not being on his guy in the first place and tying him up, or at the least getting down and blocking the shot. Aside from that, the line of Brunner-Andersson-Nyquist has been far and away our most consistent and exciting line to watch. They hustle and create chances and they have chemistry. That line should stick together through next year for sure. They'll mature together and will hopefully turn into the best 3rd line in the NHL. The only thing we need to do now is beef up the top 6 with 2 more legit scorers.

This has been a great series, we have been fortunate to stay in it as the Ducks seemed to push and pull as we have been. It all came down to a best of three and they have 1. WE have Abby on the way back so Im sure he'll be back on 1 so with the thought of 4 strong centers in mind this is my thought...

Franzen Datsyuk Abdelkader

Sammy Zetterberg Brunner

Nyquist Filpulla Bert

Eaves Andersson Tatar (in for the injured Clear-fingers crossed)

Man I wish Tatar was in the line up so bad. Ice the best team you can with the players you have....that would include Tatar.

Win or lose, I've learned more about this team in the last 5 games than in the first 40+.

It's been a great series to watch and it's awesome seeing all the kids play at this high level. A major reason this series isn't a rout is due to the effort of the young guys and Howard, so seeing that is quite reassuring moving forward into next year. Obviously there are changes/additions required, but these young guys are hanging tough with one of the grittiest teams in the playoffs.

Oh, and the Wings get their grittiest player back for next game. Can't wait for Friday.

f*** this! I don't usually make bold predictions but Wings are taking this s*** 4-2.

While I like the energy, unfortunately your prediction was wrong

I still think we can take this. Last nights MVP for the ducks was the goal posts. One of those goes in and its a totally different game.

However on a side note when ever the Wings lose I do really well in my games. 2 goals and an assist this morning.

Edited by WINGS TILL DEATH

Tough loss. Could have went the Wings way. Really hurts not scoring on the 5 minute pp, Wings score 1 or even 2 on that pp and it's game over. Oh well, Wings going back to the Joe and will win to force a game 7!!

Tough loss. Could have went the Wings way. Really hurts not scoring on the 5 minute pp, Wings score 1 or even 2 on that pp and it's game over. Oh well, Wings going back to the Joe and will win to force a game 7!!

Wings hit twine instead of three posts games over. Sometimes the bounces don't go your way.