Sign in to follow this  
Guest Crymson

Ovechkin -- Laziest Play Ever

Rate this topic

Guest Crymson

This was last night's GWG:

With a bit of a twist (I didn't make this gif):

20130509136808541567205.gif

Can you imagine Datsyuk or Zetterberg ever doing anything like this? Bear in mind, too, that this is the highest-paid player in the NHL. Yikes!

Edited by Crymson

Can you imagine Datsyuk or Zetterberg ever doing anything like this? Bear in mind, too, that this is the highest-paid player in the NHL. Yikes!

Highest cap hit* not highest paid, but ya that was disgustingly lazy, and people hard on mule

Ovie is lazy and he sucks

I hope you're kidding

You look at the video of the wings losing in OT...every skater the Wings had on the ice were standing around the crease when the puck went in

I hope you're kidding

You look at the video of the wings losing in OT...every skater the Wings had on the ice were standing around the crease when the puck went in

Some of them were out of position maybe, but they were at least trying to make a play.

That is nothing like what Ovechkin is doing here. Literally coasting towards the guy about to score a goal. He had the best seat in the house.

The YT clip shows the best angle. I thought he came off the bench but he was on the ice the whole time, coasting from center ice.

Still, he put up a 41 goal/95 point performance this season. Hes not paid to play defense, hes there to put the biscuit in the basket.

When you're paid $9.5 million a year you're expected to be a star player. And a star player doesn't coast towards the net like that.

That was the game winner. In the playoffs.

Do you guys seriously see nothing wrong with his play there?

I wonder how his teammates feel about his effort ? Yeah, Semin was clearly the problem in Washington.

That's just a blatant lack of effort right there. Players standing around the crease at least look like they're doing something. Ovie is slow coming off the bench and takes maybe 2 strides towards the play before completely giving up.

That kind of attitude is what allows a team to come back from down 0 - 2 in a series.

Guest Crymson

Still, he put up a 41 goal/95 point performance this season. Hes not paid to play defense, hes there to put the biscuit in the basket.

... and this makes it OK for him to lazily coast through the defensive zone while the rest of the team plays defense, and in doing so blow an easy opportunity to cancel what ended up being the game-winning goal for the Rangers.

Ovechkin, as with every other player on the ice on any NHL team, is there to play hockey. This was not a hockey play, and no coach on the planet would use your reason to excuse such behavior.

Edited by Crymson

That's just a blatant lack of effort right there. Players standing around the crease at least look like they're doing something. Ovie is slow coming off the bench and takes maybe 2 strides towards the play before completely giving up.

That kind of attitude is what allows a team to come back from down 0 - 2 in a series.

He wasn't actually coming off the bench. (I thought he was too initially). If you watch the Youtube clip you can see he's been on the ice. He's just so far behind the play and coasting it looked like he must've been coming off the bench.

Which is exactly the reason the comparison between him and Sid stopped long ago, Sid works hard all over the ice and love him or hate him there is absolutely no question who the better player is.

But hockey you have to play both sides at certain points. Obviously you can be terrible and they still could have scored, but people are complaining about the lack of effort.

Guest DeGraa55

If we had ovi we would beat the ducks. Clearly you didn't watch the entire game.

And for the clowns who don't he is still ten times the player and ten times the effort as mule. Not to mention the fact look at where he was. He couldn't reach the guy anyways.

Guest irishock

Tbh he was simply fed up with the crappy team around him for choking a 2-0 series lead. Nothing wrong with a star captain doing that imo

Guest Crymson

Tbh he was simply fed up with the crappy team around him for choking a 2-0 series lead. Nothing wrong with a star captain doing that imo

If only there were a facetiousness smiley on this board.

What has happened to him this year? Any other player in hockey, regardless of position, would have tried to stop that shot, regular season or playoffs with the game on the line. He should be stripped of his C for that. I wouldn't trust him if I were a teammates, regardless of offensive skill.

If we had ovi we would beat the ducks. Clearly you didn't watch the entire game.

And for the clowns who don't he is still ten times the player and ten times the effort as mule. Not to mention the fact look at where he was. He couldn't reach the guy anyways.

He was that far behind the play because he didn't bother backchecking at all. He didn't even have to go full speed, had he at least participated in the play and been skating back towards his own end he would've been there in time to at least try to stop the shot on the wide open net.

What has happened to him this year? Any other player in hockey, regardless of position, would have tried to stop that shot, regular season or playoffs with the game on the line. He should be stripped of his C for that. I wouldn't trust him if I were a teammates, regardless of offensive skill.

I forgot he was the captain. Good lord. I used to be a fan of Ovechkin when he came into the league.

So much talent but so little heart.

Guest DeGraa55

He was that far behind the play because he didn't bother backchecking at all. He didn't even have to go full speed, had he at least participated in the play and been skating back towards his own end he would've been there in time to at least try to stop the shot on the wide open net.I forgot he was the captain. Good lord. I used to be a fan of Ovechkin when he came into the league.So much talent but so little heart.

I'm sure it has to do with the atmosphere in Washington. I bet he be different on a different team. As was semin and I'd say the same the entire team.

Now him wearing the c yes he shouldve been back checking harder. But he has always been this way he istthe best offensive player in the league. But as stated earlier he is not a two way player like crosby malkin or DAT are. But he does fight and check where most elite two way platers don't.

And at the end of the day teams need a mix of everything. That's why a two way guy like backstrom paired with an offensive minded guy like ovi is OK.

But to sit at nitpick at guys because of one or two plays a game is stupid. Rake your blinders off and watch z. I do anything to have ovi over say z and quincey. That's about equal in cap hits.

I'm sure it has to do with the atmosphere in Washington. I bet he be different on a different team. As was semin and I'd say the same the entire team.

Now him wearing the c yes he shouldve been back checking harder. But he has always been this way he istthe best offensive player in the league. But as stated earlier he is not a two way player like crosby malkin or DAT are. But he does fight and check where most elite two way platers don't.

And at the end of the day teams need a mix of everything. That's why a two way guy like backstrom paired with an offensive minded guy like ovi is OK.

But to sit at nitpick at guys because of one or two plays a game is stupid. Rake your blinders off and watch z. I do anything to have ovi over say z and quincey. That's about equal in cap hits.

I'm not sure why you think I have blinders on but I've never seen Z do anything like that. I'm not expecting Ovie to be a selke candidate nor should he spend his time trying to be.

But this is not an isolated incident from him. Those kind of plays are what makes the difference between being a playoff contender and being a perennial playoff underachiever.

And that play people are nitpicking about was on the GWG for the Rangers.

It's like with Franzen. No one is arguing Ovechkin's talent. But crap like that speaks volumes about his leadership, heart, and commitment to winning.

Guest Crymson

I guess being paid more than $9m yearly and being given the captaincy isn't enough to motivate him. Give me a break.