• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#21 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:47 PM

What has happened to him this year? Any other player in hockey, regardless of position, would have tried to stop that shot, regular season or playoffs with the game on the line. He should be stripped of his C for that. I wouldn't trust him if I were a teammates, regardless of offensive skill.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#22 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:04 PM

If we had ovi we would beat the ducks. Clearly you didn't watch the entire game.

And for the clowns who don't he is still ten times the player and ten times the effort as mule. Not to mention the fact look at where he was. He couldn't reach the guy anyways.

He was that far behind the play because he didn't bother backchecking at all. He didn't even have to go full speed, had he at least participated in the play and been skating back towards his own end he would've been there in time to at least try to stop the shot on the wide open net.

What has happened to him this year? Any other player in hockey, regardless of position, would have tried to stop that shot, regular season or playoffs with the game on the line. He should be stripped of his C for that. I wouldn't trust him if I were a teammates, regardless of offensive skill.

I forgot he was the captain. Good lord. I used to be a fan of Ovechkin when he came into the league.

So much talent but so little heart.

#23 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:19 PM

He was that far behind the play because he didn't bother backchecking at all. He didn't even have to go full speed, had he at least participated in the play and been skating back towards his own end he would've been there in time to at least try to stop the shot on the wide open net.I forgot he was the captain. Good lord. I used to be a fan of Ovechkin when he came into the league.So much talent but so little heart.

I'm sure it has to do with the atmosphere in Washington. I bet he be different on a different team. As was semin and I'd say the same the entire team.

Now him wearing the c yes he shouldve been back checking harder. But he has always been this way he istthe best offensive player in the league. But as stated earlier he is not a two way player like crosby malkin or DAT are. But he does fight and check where most elite two way platers don't.

And at the end of the day teams need a mix of everything. That's why a two way guy like backstrom paired with an offensive minded guy like ovi is OK.

But to sit at nitpick at guys because of one or two plays a game is stupid. Rake your blinders off and watch z. I do anything to have ovi over say z and quincey. That's about equal in cap hits.

#24 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:24 PM

I'm sure it has to do with the atmosphere in Washington. I bet he be different on a different team. As was semin and I'd say the same the entire team.

Now him wearing the c yes he shouldve been back checking harder. But he has always been this way he istthe best offensive player in the league. But as stated earlier he is not a two way player like crosby malkin or DAT are. But he does fight and check where most elite two way platers don't.

And at the end of the day teams need a mix of everything. That's why a two way guy like backstrom paired with an offensive minded guy like ovi is OK.

But to sit at nitpick at guys because of one or two plays a game is stupid. Rake your blinders off and watch z. I do anything to have ovi over say z and quincey. That's about equal in cap hits.

I'm not sure why you think I have blinders on but I've never seen Z do anything like that. I'm not expecting Ovie to be a selke candidate nor should he spend his time trying to be.

But this is not an isolated incident from him. Those kind of plays are what makes the difference between being a playoff contender and being a perennial playoff underachiever.

And that play people are nitpicking about was on the GWG for the Rangers.

It's like with Franzen. No one is arguing Ovechkin's talent. But crap like that speaks volumes about his leadership, heart, and commitment to winning.

#25 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:28 PM

I guess being paid more than $9m yearly and being given the captaincy isn't enough to motivate him. Give me a break.

#26 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:39 PM

For whatever the reasons, there has always been questions of effort with Russian players. yes datsyuk is an exception. But the list is very long. Kozlov and Fedorov both had their moumnets of watching the play and/or little effort. yashin is legandary for his lack of effort-and the Isles are still paying for him! Semin went through this the last couple of years with the caps, and yes Ovechkin has the same issue as well. The Bure's were another goup that had games where they simply didn't care while on the ice. Mogilney (spelling) another....

#27 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:49 PM

For whatever the reasons, there has always been questions of effort with Russian players. yes datsyuk is an exception. But the list is very long. Kozlov and Fedorov both had their moumnets of watching the play and/or little effort. yashin is legandary for his lack of effort-and the Isles are still paying for him! Semin went through this the last couple of years with the caps, and yes Ovechkin has the same issue as well. The Bure's were another goup that had games where they simply didn't care while on the ice. Mogilney (spelling) another....

It isn't very long actually.  People have created a stereotype based on a few star players.

When Brett Hull did it, it was just "Brett being brett."  When a Russian player does it, it's "look at that lazy Russian."

Datsyuk isn't the exception on the Wings.  With Fedorov I remember it being more moodiness than doing anything remotely close to what Ovie has done.  Larionov, Fetisov, Konstantinov.  Those guys weren't lazy.

• Nev likes this

#28 Resetti

Resetti

Rookie

• Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:55 PM

That's your captain?  Everybody in that organization should be embarrassed watching that play.  That kind of laziness isn't OK in the regular season.  It's downright pathetic in the playoffs.

But at least it yielded an awesome GIF.

#29 Nevermind

Nevermind

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:15 PM

Almost looked like it took effort on Ovechkin's part to try and glide that slow.

#30 Mitchmac33

Mitchmac33

Come on son!

• PipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:18 PM

makes me think of another russian

#31 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:20 PM

I'm not sure why you think I have blinders on but I've never seen Z do anything like that. I'm not expecting Ovie to be a selke candidate nor should he spend his time trying to be.But this is not an isolated incident from him. Those kind of plays are what makes the difference between being a playoff contender and being a perennial playoff underachiever.And that play people are nitpicking about was on the GWG for the Rangers.It's like with Franzen. No one is arguing Ovechkin's talent. But crap like that speaks volumes about his leadership, heart, and commitment to winning.

I do agree with the leadership statement and I know its not an isolated incident. That's my argument.

This guy can carry a team and win games offensively but defensively its the complete opposite. But every single player does stuff that makes you scratch your head every single game. Unfortunately for him it was the rangers gwg which rather he tried or not....it was going in.

Edited by DeGraa55, 09 May 2013 - 08:21 PM.

#32 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:23 PM

It isn't very long actually.  People have created a stereotype based on a few star players.

When Brett Hull did it, it was just "Brett being brett."  When a Russian player does it, it's "look at that lazy Russian."

Datsyuk isn't the exception on the Wings.  With Fedorov I remember it being more moodiness than doing anything remotely close to what Ovie has done.  Larionov, Fetisov, Konstantinov.  Those guys weren't lazy.

But the guys you are talking about were Red Army players. They didn't have the option of being lazy-they got shot if they were! very different era. LOL!

Yes Hull also was lazy. It is not just a Russian thing. But when such a large number of the "stars" from the same place act the same way, it does build a rep. This is part of the reason why there are so few russians in the NHL today. For the regular season there was 22 russian skaters and 6 G that played at least 1 game in the NHL. 28 total russians in the NHL. Hell not that long ago the RW's alone had 28 russian players.

Edited by Richdg, 09 May 2013 - 08:27 PM.

#33 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,245 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:37 PM

If we had ovi we would beat the ducks. Clearly you didn't watch the entire game.

And for the clowns who don't he is still ten times the player and ten times the effort as mule. Not to mention the fact look at where he was. He couldn't reach the guy anyways.

I think it's more indicative of his all-around effort rather than one play out of a game.  I don't care if the guy is 5 strides ahead of me, I'm busting my ass hoping against hope I can get my stick in there somehow.  It's all about attitude.

Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#34 ben_usmc

ben_usmc

Kenny Powers Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,829 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:50 PM

That is the one question  I had on the play.  Is he actually covering a man at the blue line or something, I do wish there was more context

There's no I in team, but there's a U in c***, so don't be little jealous c***s

#35 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:05 PM

Still, he put up a 41 goal/95 point performance this season. Hes not paid to play defense, hes there to put the biscuit in the basket. 

55-56 goals actually in 82 games

#36 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,519 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:13 PM

That is the one question  I had on the play.  Is he actually covering a man at the blue line or something, I do wish there was more context

I think it was pretty clear that he was covering nobody.

#37 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:19 PM

He's doing nothing. He's just lazy getting back into the zone. He could very easily have prevented that goal had he made the effort to backcheck properly.

#38 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:33 PM

I'm not sure why you think I have blinders on but I've never seen Z do anything like that. I'm not expecting Ovie to be a selke candidate nor should he spend his time trying to be.

But this is not an isolated incident from him. Those kind of plays are what makes the difference between being a playoff contender and being a perennial playoff underachiever.

And that play people are nitpicking about was on the GWG for the Rangers.

It's like with Franzen. No one is arguing Ovechkin's talent. But crap like that speaks volumes about his leadership, heart, and commitment to winning.

And people can say.Franzen is lazy but he has never hung his teammates out to dry like that. He's lacked hustle, but he's never been like that at such a crucial time that I can remember.

I think it's more indicative of his all-around effort rather than one play out of a game.  I don't care if the guy is 5 strides ahead of me, I'm busting my ass hoping against hope I can get my stick in there somehow.  It's all about attitude.

Exactly. What if the opponent whiffs on the shot? You've got to be there and I think 99% of players would try to stop that without even thinking.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#39 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 02:41 AM

So Ovie is done in DC?  Emmerton, Mursak and a 4th - Make it happen Kenny!

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#40 vangvace

vangvace

no such thing as overkill

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 02:42 AM

So the other four Capital skaters cannot clear the zone, get back into position (to the point of colliding with each other), and stop the three Rags putting on a clinic... but it is Ovenchin's fault? Got it.

I make 1 or 2 posts a week tops. Sometimes they're gold, sometimes they're crap, but the end weight is the same.

http://www.letsgowin...tion=boardrules