• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#61 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:56 PM

Are you seriously telling me you have never seen mule float through either offensive or the defensive zone?

It doesn't have to be as obvious as with Ovie, but Mule floats his way around the ice very very often!

I can show you countless examples of him floating all around the ice, I just have a hard time believing you have never seen it!?

Let's see them

#62 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,418 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:37 PM

Let's see them

Watch the last game, watch him enter the zone standing up, both zones not just the offensive zone. Watch him as he floats between face off dot and blueline in both zones. Standing straight up, not defending a passing lane, just coasting around the zone.

Sure it is not as severe as Ovies play but I said plays similar to that, if I was not clear that I meant floating then I apologize.

Mule is playing very hard hockey most of the time but still floats too much for me. 

The point of my post was that players of all nationalities float, whether it is the game winning play or not or as obvious as Ovie's.

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#63 GoOzzieGo

GoOzzieGo

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:38 PM

I'd strip him of the C. This isn't the first time.

You'd risk upsetting the apple cart of what may very well soon become the most marketable hockey player in the world?  (Given that it's Crosby's title now).  Hockey is still a business, so I don't see him losing the 'C' anytime soon. 

#64 RedWingCraig

RedWingCraig

Rookie

• Pip
  • 155 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 03:38 PM

You'd risk upsetting the apple cart of what may very well soon become the most marketable hockey player in the world?  (Given that it's Crosby's title now).  Hockey is still a business, so I don't see him losing the 'C' anytime soon. 

I see Ovechkin on TV more than Crosby

He could have prevented the goal if he tried

I'd strip him of the C. This isn't the first time.

That will never happen

#65 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 04:17 PM

Are you seriously telling me you have never seen mule float through either offensive or the defensive zone?

It doesn't have to be as obvious as with Ovie, but Mule floats his way around the ice very very often!

I can show you countless examples of him floating all around the ice, I just have a hard time believing you have never seen it!?

Please do provide us with a comparable example.

#66 number9

number9

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 04:32 PM

I see Ovechkin on TV more than Crosby

If the great one can be traded, Ovie can lose his C. But yes, it probably won't happen

#67 Wings_Toledo

Wings_Toledo

Seeing Red

• PipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:50 PM

Ovechkin with a nice dive tonight that caught the Rangers' and announcers' attention.  The guy makes me sick.  He has all the talent in the world and acts like a spoiled brat.  

#68 Resetti

Resetti

Rookie

• Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 12:13 AM

Ovechkin may be the worst Captain in the league.  I haven't done an exhaustive check through the NHL but I can't imagine that there's anyone as uninspired as a leader.  Is he talented?  Is he exciting?  Does he put up points?  The answer to all of these things is a resounding yes, but none of that qualifies him as a captain.  There are many good ways to be a leader but none of them include standing idly by and watching your teammates do all the work.

With some of his performances this year, including one of the most ridiculous dives I've ever seen, I've lost a ton of respect for Ovechkin.  I've always enjoyed watching him play because he flies like a train off its tracks but, lately, he reminds me more of just a train wreck.

Edited by Resetti, 11 May 2013 - 12:14 AM.

#69 Dabura

Dabura

Cake Eater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,062 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 02:31 AM

Can you imagine Datsyuk or Zetterberg ever doing anything like this? Bear in mind, too, that this is the highest-paid player in the NHL. Yikes!

Why are we comparing Datsyuk and Zetterberg's D-game to Ovechkin's (or his lack thereof)? Datsyuk and Zetterberg are among the most defensively responsible forwards in the game today. They're two-way types, Selke material. On the other hand, it's no secret that Ovechkin is a lazy sonsabitch, possibly the least defensively responsible forward in the game today.

Ovechkin gets paid what he gets paid because he's a marketable star; he puts butts in the seats, he sells The Brand (Caps product, NHL product, ice hockey in general). And, more importantly (maybe) - when he's on, he's the single most dangerous, electrifying goal-scorer in the world. Scotty Bowman could turn him into the greatest player to ever play the game, but he's retired.

Crosby's the white knight. Ovechkin's the dark one. Very Sexy.

Edited by Dabura, 12 May 2013 - 02:03 AM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#70 lwing

lwing

Prospect

• 47 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:39 AM

Still, he put up a 41 goal/95 point performance this season. Hes not paid to play defense, hes there to put the biscuit in the basket. 

And that's why he will never hoist the Cup!

#71 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:49 AM

And this guy gets the nod for Hart and Lindsay trophies, while a guy like Pasha works his ass off and gets nothing.  Is it just me or does this not compute???

Posted Image

#72 freshy

freshy

Freshy

• PipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:12 AM

It would be really interesting to see how Ovi would operate being on the Wings with guys like Z and especially Pavs as his mentors. Then again Mule had Stevie, Z, Nick, Pavs, Drapes, Malts as examples and he only turns it on in the playoffs.

You gotta be the QB to win the MVP baby! You can't be the punter.

#73 anthonyn66

anthonyn66

Wings fan in Leaf Nation

• PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 11:14 AM

It doesn't matter if he's a scoring winger or not you don't give up on the play, EVER, especially with the game tied in the playoffs. He's the captain of the team too, doesn't show any kind of effort. That would be annoying to look at in the regular season with a 3-0 lead let alone a playoff game.

If you look at our captain Z last night, when he fell and the play looked pretty bad he got up off his ass and backchecked like you've never seen him before. That's how a captain plays, he sets an example for the rest of the team with his intensity, Ovechkin obviously did not.

#74 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,971 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 11:21 AM

And this guy gets the nod for Hart and Lindsay trophies, while a guy like Pasha works his ass off and gets nothing.  Is it just me or does this not compute???

Be interesting to see if he gets a bit more love when we move to the East.  11 of the 15 nominees for the major trophies announced are from the East.  Even TSN panellists are admitting there's an east coast bias.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#75 Serratoni

Serratoni

Rookie

• Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 04:52 PM

So the other four Capital skaters cannot clear the zone, get back into position (to the point of colliding with each other), and stop the three Rags putting on a clinic... but it is Ovenchin's fault? Got it.

Apologist.

#76 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 05:05 PM

And yet 95% of the game he still is skating hard. Try watching and entire game and not just a min of highlights.

#77 Dabura

Dabura

Cake Eater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,062 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 02:07 AM

You guys are pretty silly.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#78 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:45 AM

Be interesting to see if he gets a bit more love when we move to the East.  11 of the 15 nominees for the major trophies announced are from the East.  Even TSN panellists are admitting there's an east coast bias.

Gee, ya think???

Posted Image

#79 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:24 PM

I would guess you could probably find a clip of many NHL hockey players looking like they "gave up" on a play.  He was far enough away that I don't think it would have made a difference.  Also, if you're at the end of a shift and out of gas, not much you can do about it.

Lazy plays from Franzen?  Right before Flip gave up the puck, Franzen had the puck with an easy opportunity to clear and kind of floated and gave a weak flick of the puck and the Ducks kept it in.  The last few breakaways that Franzen has had, he's looked like he's not giving effort at all.

#80 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,550 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 05:41 PM

It's surprising to me how many people are defending this awful play on what turned out to be the GWG. 

If this were Crosby it would be a 500 page thread about it.  Something about Crosby's whiny personality that gets him more grief than he probably deserves, whereas Ovechkins allows him to get away with a lot less criticism than he deserves.

There's no need for quotes around it, he clearly gave up on this play.  Even coasting from center ice he managed to get within 10 feet of the guy taking the winning shot.  Can you imagine if he even skated at half speed back into his zone?  He very likely could've broken up the play or at least gotten a stick on the puck to challenge the shooter.

If the Caps don't advance and people are trying to figure out what their issue is, they  should just play that clip in an endless loop.  Even if he gives maximum effort 95% of the time, it's the 5% that's the difference between winning and losing in the postseason.  That that happened with the captain makes it even more of a joke.

EDIT: and it's not like he's scoring to make up for, which according to some people is apparently his only job? 

He has 1 goal and 1 assist in 6 games.  Mikael Samuelsson has 1 goal and 1 assist in 4 games, makes $6.5 million less than Ovie, and actually backchecks.