• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
kickazz

Zetterberg's Slap shot

Rate this topic

Anyone notice how Z shot like a 50 goal scorer in last night's game 6 while almost every other game he just shoots the puck from random corners or ends up going for the pass.. I remember a few years ago, he was rated as having one of the best slap shots among active players game next to Chara, Ovetchkin, Weber. This was during his prime after they won the cup.

Why do you think that is? I mean, he clearly has the ability to shoot the puck with great aim and its a bullet of a shot, but almost 90% of the games now, the past 3 years, his shots have been really weak unless it's a key game.

Has anyone else noticed this? Might be confidence level or age?

Guest irishock

He's aging and the league has figured him out a little. Just get up to him and force him to go wide. He either takes a shot from the corner that has no chance of going in or passes to a team mate.

Which is also why the" bandwagoners", as some here call 'em, are criticizing Kenny for not being able to fish anything after the Marian Hossa debacle. We need goalscorers that can attract attention for D and Z to do what they used to be able to do.

Edited by irishock

He's aging and the league has figured him out a little. Just get up to him and force him to go wide. He either takes a shot from the corner that has no chance of going in or passes to a team mate.

Which is also why the" bandwagoners", as some here call 'em, are criticizing Kenny for not being able to fish anything after the Marian Hossa debacle. We need goalscorers that can attract attention for D and Z to do what they used to be able to do.

Makes sense, that's what happened to Ovie as well, until this season. Fortunately for Ovie he's still young and able to change his game up more. I feel like Z doesn't have a choice but to become more of an "assist" guy now. But man the two goals from last nights game were incredible, not many players have that good of a shot especially on the our roster. I think if the wings could get themselves, either goal scorers or even players who can set up good plays, we can have D and Z shoot more often. (In Z's case it would be shoot more quality shots rather than weak shots). Z's slapshot is incredible while Datsyuks wrist shot is also incredible. Too bad we don't get to see as much.

Edited by kickazz

Zetterberg had one season where he scored almost 50 goals, but I don't remember anyone rating his slapshot up there with Weber or Chara.

He scored many of his goals by going to areas in front of the net and having a knack for being in the right place.

Zetterberg had one season where he scored almost 50 goals, but I don't remember anyone rating his slapshot up there with Weber or Chara.

He scored many of his goals by going to areas in front of the net and having a knack for being in the right place.

Only one I can find that was rated as one of the "filthiest slap shots in NHL history" from bleacher report. Still though, compare that shot the most of what he does now...

Only one I can find that was rated as one of the "filthiest slap shots in NHL history" from bleacher report. Still though, compare that shot the most of what he does now...

Meh. Bleacherreport is a fun read, but many of their writers don't know s*** about NHL history. I once read a "greatest enforcer" article on there that made me fall out of my chair because of its idiocy.

I like Zetterberg, but he never had one of the "filthiest slapshots in NHL history".

But in general, I agree with you that his shot used to be much more potent and dangerous than it is now. But that's why a player's prime is usually in their mid to late 20's, and not mid 30's.

Meh. Bleacherreport is a fun read, but many of their writers don't know s*** about NHL history. I once read a "greatest enforcer" article on there that made me fall out of my chair because of its idiocy.

I like Zetterberg, but he never had one of the "filthiest slapshots in NHL history".

But in general, I agree with you that his shot used to be much more potent and dangerous than it is now. But that's why a player's prime is usually in their mid to late 20's, and not mid 30's.

Don't think we'll be seeing him as a 30+ goal scorer unless they add more playmakers to the team. Who knows

Don't think we'll be seeing him as a 30+ goal scorer unless they add more playmakers to the team. Who knows

He is a playmaker at this point.

We need a big, scoring winger to play with him. It would raise both of their numbers in both goals and assists.

But those players are hard to find.

I feel like in certain seasons certain players just get in a groove. For the last few seasons Z's groove has been assists over goals and has played that kind of hockey. But some players develop a knack for the net that lasts for a season then fades. Think Brad Boyes, Nick Backstrom etc.. If you aren't a pure goalscorer but you get hot early on (and have the tools to score) you can put up monster numbers for a year. I think it is entirely possible that if Z got hot early next season playing on Datsyuk's wing he could get above 30 goals again easily. Its just about habit and hitting that perfect habit early.

Did you just watch that one? Gave me "goose" bumps ;)

I feel like in certain seasons certain players just get in a groove. For the last few seasons Z's groove has been assists over goals and has played that kind of hockey. But some players develop a knack for the net that lasts for a season then fades. Think Brad Boyes, Nick Backstrom etc.. If you aren't a pure goalscorer but you get hot early on (and have the tools to score) you can put up monster numbers for a year. I think it is entirely possible that if Z got hot early next season playing on Datsyuk's wing he could get above 30 goals again easily. Its just about habit and hitting that perfect habit early.

Mr. Cheechoo agrees

I think it is entirely possible that if Z got hot early next season playing on Datsyuk's wing he could get above 30 goals again easily. Its just about habit and hitting that perfect habit early.

I agree, I was watching some of him and Pavs 07 and 08 plays and it seems as though Z just knows where to be at the right place at the right time. He definitely has the goal scoring hockey IQ, it seems as though due to his lack of speed as of last few years, he's been forced to make the pass rather than crash the net. The past three seasons where he's hovered around 20+ goals were mostly not playing with Pav. I believe last year most of the year he played with Filp and the year before that (10-11) he played with Cleary towards the middle and end (I think). I believe the injuries set in during and after 09 season which was the last time he scored 30+ goals. At this point i'd say his back is better and the way he played this season I do believe he has his strength enough to score 30+ is he plays with Pav. Abdelkader has reprised his role as the somewhat new holmstrom so I can see more opportunity for both Pav and Z next season. Of course, those 30+ won't come unless he plays with Pav.

Man Z and Dats have combined for some dirty goals. I still remember the pass that I believe it was again Dats to Z where he was going around the net and passed it off before he got half way around leaving Z a wide open net with a blushing goalie. Someone's gotta remember that one...

And to the OP, Z's clapper is more accurate than his wrister apparently. It's a complete anomaly. He's still be getting 30+ goals a year if his wrister could just hit the net.

And to the OP, Z's clapper is more accurate than his wrister apparently. It's a complete anomaly. He's still be getting 30+ goals a year if his wrister could just hit the net.

I do agree, his slap used to be very accurate, this season it was atrocious though.. Pavs the opposite. He's got a terrible slap shot accuracy but an amazing wrist shot. Don't blame him, he's not much of a shooter and wrist shot usually complements you're stick handling ability, which makes sense in Pavs case. As for Z, I do believe it's confidence and speed, if he can get in the groove of shooting some mean shots, he can definitely achieve 30+ goals. I like our first line and I think next season can be a good one for both Pav and Z's point production. It already improved this season hopefully they maintain next season.

I do agree, his slap used to be very accurate, this season it was atrocious though.. Pavs the opposite. He's got a terrible slap shot accuracy but an amazing wrist shot. Don't blame him, he's not much of a shooter and wrist shot usually complements you're stick handling ability, which makes sense in Pavs case. As for Z, I do believe it's confidence and speed, if he can get in the groove of shooting some mean shots, he can definitely achieve 30+ goals. I like our first line and I think next season can be a good one for both Pav and Z's point production. It already improved this season hopefully they maintain next season.

I agree that Pav has a better wrister than slap shot and vice versa for Hank.

But Pav's shot, in general, is fairly inaccurate (in my opinion). I know that he can absolutely pick a corner sometimes (see game 4), but many times Pav will have an open shot and blast it wide and/or high. Then again, he is not a sniper.

Ah, it was Z to Dats. Nice find dude. That was such an awesome goal. Those 2 have more than a top 10 together, and that's a good reason why they should never be split up. Make some other guys step up. If we don't have enough point getters to fill a top 6 with Dats and Z on the same line, that needs to be remedied.

I agree that Pav has a better wrister than slap shot and vice versa for Hank.

But Pav's shot, in general, is fairly inaccurate (in my opinion). I know that he can absolutely pick a corner sometimes (see game 4), but many times Pav will have an open shot and blast it wide and/or high. Then again, he is not a sniper.

he isn't a goal scorer, I don't know if you knew that. But have you seen the guy stick handle? some people call him the magician

Guest The Axe

Pavel is deadly accurate. Best shooter on the team. He just spends all his time digging pucks off the boards, out of the corners, and away from opponents. Put him with St. Louis, and he'll snipe like a mofo.

Pavel is deadly accurate. Best shooter on the team. He just spends all his time digging pucks off the boards, out of the corners, and away from opponents. Put him with St. Louis, and he'll snipe like a mofo.

Agreed in principle. The guy can absolutely do it all. But if you put my middle aged arse on a line with St. Loui, I'd pot 25. He's amazing. Stamkos has all the skills, not looking to take away from him, but I'm interested to see what he does once Marty hangs them up.

Edited by Uncle Danny

No he's not an accurate shooter. He has the best wrist shot on the team but he has terrible slap shot accuracy. It's a known fact and he's admitted it himself. Said, he didn't shoot much when he was younger cuz he didn't like breaking his sticks and having to buy a new one. It's on his personal twitter if you need proof. There's been times where Mickey Redmonds joked around and said "Pav should probably stay away from the slap shot" after he missed one or two wide, I believe it was the phoenix game end of season.

Hardest slap shot : Franzen

Most accurate slap shot: Zetterberg? (maybe.. not so much anymore)

Best wrist shot: Datsyuk (probably top 10 in the league)

Best backhanded shot: Zetterberg (probably one of the best in the league)