• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Red Wings Addict

Valtteri Filppula's Value?

Rate this topic

after giving him so much time and so many chances to see what kind of player he could develop into, I just hope the Wings don't end up losing him for nothing.

I wish we traded him for something at the deadline. Maybe a sign and trade this offseason? (if only it was the NBA!)

Edited by Number19

Guest Playmaker

I've always tried to defend Filppula, but when you consider he's 29, and we have Tomas Tatar ready to go in GR, it just doesn't make sense to pay him 4-5 million. We may lose a little defensively with TT, but I think he can easily score as many points as Flip.

Filppula's best season came because of playing with Henrik Zetterberg. The argument works both ways.

And Zetterberg scored 40 because he played with Datsyuk. Not any player would have the season Filppula did with Zetterberg. But frankly, I doubt even pav or Z would have very good numbers saddled with Franzen and Cleary at even strength and Nyquist and Cleary on the PP. I'm not saying Z and Pav should be split up (and one of the reasons I think we need Filppula is to allow them to play on the same line, without Filppula, who centers the second line?), but I'm saying Filppula's play wouldn't seem so bad if he had competent linemates.

6 years, 25.5 million. Take it or leave it.

About 1 million per year too much, let him walk. Helm can center the 2nd, Anderson the 3rd, and Emmy the 4th. Plus Jarnkrok is gonna get some time with the big club next year, and will only be a two hour ride to the Joe in case of an emergency.

Edited by MasterPavel

After that giveaway that lead to the 2nd goal of game 6, plus the consistent lack of productivity... 3-3.5 mil at the very most. We need a center that can and will play in the center of the ice. Flip is good defensively, but shies away from the rough stuff and isn't great in the corners. He's a perimeter player that doesn't shoot, which is exactly what the Red Wings have an abundance of. If Helm comes back ever, plus Andersson...There's no room for a guy like Flip.

I keep reading about how we should trade him. Can we? His contract is up after the playoffs, if I understand correctly, we can't trade UFA rights, only RFA?

Edited by MibJab

Guest Playmaker

3.5 a year + a performance based bonus.

I'm not positive on this, but I don't think they have performance based bonuses in the NHL.

In regard to trading his rights, you can until his contract has officially expired, like we did with Brad Stuart last year. It gives that club the chance to sign him first, if they so choose.

I'm not positive on this, but I don't think they have performance based bonuses in the NHL.

In regard to trading his rights, you can until his contract has officially expired, like we did with Brad Stuart last year. It gives that club the chance to sign him first, if they so choose.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26366

PERFORMANCE BONUSES

What players may earn in performance bonuses?

Performance bonuses will only be permissible for the following types of players: (1) players on entry-level contracts; (2) players signing one-year contracts after returning from long-term injuries (players with 400 or more games who spent 100 or more days on injured reserve in the last year of their most recent contract); and senior veteran players who sign a one-year contract after the age of 35.

I guess that's why I've only seen a handful of them.

GWG or not...anything over $4M is too much. Heck $4M is too much...trade him before he becomes a UFA to a team that will give him $5M...Dallas.

Although they were still lamenting last night how Anaheim still needs a #2 center...I know you guys don't like Bobby Ryan and he did disappear in the playoffs (he wasn't the only one) but maybe there is someone out there Flip is worth in a trade...or maybe just their 1st rounder...

Edited by LeftWinger

About 1 million per year too much, let him walk. Helm can center the 2nd, Anderson the 3rd, and Emmy the 4th. Plus Jarnkrok is gonna get some time with the big club next year, and will only be a two hour ride to the Joe in case of an emergency.

I worry about Helm's ability to center the second line. He's a great third line center, but I'd hate to see them lose his advantage by playing him up on the second line.

Also, I'd be really surprised if Jarnkrok sees much time in Detroit next season.

GWG or not...anything over $4M is too much. Heck $4M is too much...trade him before he becomes a UFA to a team that will give him $5M...Dallas.

Although they were still lamenting last night how Anaheim still needs a #2 center...I know you guys don't like Bobby Ryan and he did disappear in the playoffs (he wasn't the only one) but maybe there is someone out there Flip is worth in a trade...or maybe just their 1st rounder...

If I had a dollar for every player you wanted to be traded, I'd have enough money to start my own NHL team, make it really good, make you a fan of it and piss you off every time I don't trade a player.

I can't help but cringe when reading some of these comments... Filppula hasn't had a very productive year point wise but to say he isn't worth the money to resign him is flat out ridiculous. He doesn't always put up points but he is a very valuable player on both sides of the puck, whether he is pick-pocketing an opponent or spending valuable time in the offensive zone wearing down the other team. To say Val isn't hard on the puck is crazy, I would have agreed with this statement two years ago but the past year and a half he has been a force in all three zones and extremely hard to strip off the puck.

He is worth anywhere between the $4 - 4.25 mil he WILL receive. Just ask any other team that would love to have a dependible guy like Val on their team, almost every GM in the league would love for him to become available to throw upwards of $5 mil easy his way. He is the type of player every coach loves to have on their team, the guy you know plays hard every shift and backchecks on every play. The points will come, I'm very confident in that, just like the entire Red Wing brass. Filppula WILL be resigned so accept it and move on. Just like all the Ericsson haters on here just one year ago you will eat your words. Count on it.

There is so much negativity on here, I can't help but laugh at times... We are now going into the second round of the Playoffs (thanks to Filppula's game winner) to play against the Blackhawks. It's sad that so many "fans" (and I use that word loosely) counted us out of even making the playoffs halfway through the season. Sad...

Go Wings!!

Guest The Axe

I can't help but cringe when reading some of these comments... Filppula hasn't had a very productive year point wise but to say he isn't worth the money to resign him is flat out ridiculous. He doesn't always put up points but he is a very valuable player on both sides of the puck, whether he is pick-pocketing an opponent or spending valuable time in the offensive zone wearing down the other team. To say Val isn't hard on the puck is crazy, I would have agreed with this statement two years ago but the past year and a half he has been a force in all three zones and extremely hard to strip off the puck.

He is worth anywhere between the $4 - 4.25 mil he WILL receive. Just ask any other team that would love to have a dependible guy like Val on their team, almost every GM in the league would love for him to become available to throw upwards of $5 mil easy his way. He is the type of player every coach loves to have on their team, the guy you know plays hard every shift and backchecks on every play. The points will come, I'm very confident in that, just like the entire Red Wing brass. Filppula WILL be resigned so accept it and move on. Just like all the Ericsson haters on here just one year ago you will eat your words. Count on it.

There is so much negativity on here, I can't help but laugh at times... We are now going into the second round of the Playoffs (thanks to Filppula's game winner) to play against the Blackhawks. It's sad that so many "fans" (and I use that word loosely) counted us out of even making the playoffs halfway through the season. Sad...

Go Wings!!

Yah!

I hate Filppula. He sucks.

I cant stand Smith. Trade him.

Quincey is so worthless.

God, Cleary. You are aweful.

Nyquist isnt ready.

Kindl, youre the worst.

What? We won the Stanley Cup? Really? Hold on, I gotta get my jersey on. Wooooooooo!!!!!!

Yah!

I hate Filppula. He sucks.

I cant stand Smith. Trade him.

Quincey is so worthless.

God, Cleary. You are aweful.

Nyquist isnt ready.

Kindl, youre the worst.

What? We won the Stanley Cup? Really? Hold on, I gotta get my jersey on. Wooooooooo!!!!!!

can't tell if you're serious or not, cause that is the stuff you usually say...

Guest The Axe

can't tell if you're serious or not, cause that is the stuff you usually say...

Not true. Old, slow, past prime. These are the characteristics of players I dont like (Holmstrom, Samuelsson, Bertuzzi). And even when they are playing old and slow, I still blame the GM for it.

If I had a dollar for every player you wanted to be traded, I'd have enough money to start my own NHL team, make it really good, make you a fan of it and piss you off every time I don't trade a player.

You'd have about $5.00....that isn't a very good team. Plus with the players you keep, you would lose more than you win.

I get the joke, but this is a business too. When it comes down to it, you have $11M in cap space next year. You HAVE to re-sign Brunner, Nyquist, Smith, Andersson, Kindl, possibly Miller AND find a #1 Scorer to put with Dats and you want to give $5M of that to Filppula. That leaves you $6M to re-sign those kids and get that sniper.... Good luck with your team.

Guest The Axe

You'd have about $5.00....that isn't a very good team. Plus with the players you keep, you would lose more than you win.

I get the joke, but this is a business too. When it comes down to it, you have $11M in cap space next year. You HAVE to re-sign Brunner, Nyquist, Smith, Andersson, Kindl, possibly Miller AND find a #1 Scorer to put with Dats and you want to give $5M of that to Filppula. That leaves you $6M to re-sign those kids and get that sniper.... Good luck with your team.

Does buying out sammy and bert hurt us cap-wise? No, right?

Does buying out sammy and bert hurt us cap-wise? No, right?

Oh, I agree and that would be in my perfect plan as well! But my response was to his complaining about me trading players and not keeping our team together PLUS re-signing Val...there just isn't enough money to give Val $5M, re-sign all the kids AND improve this team's scoring...

People can be delusional, they want to improve this team but they do not want to make changes in order to do so. Go ahead Z and D, give Val $5M, give all your kids raises and then try to improve this team to turn it into a Stanley Cup contender, I will even give you the $5.00 you earned from me as a start.

edit: Problem is, you have to ask yourself (not you personally Axe) do you want to same team moving forward in the East or do you want a better team? Same team gets you nowhere. A better team involves trades, buyouts and demotions. You trade Franzen and Filppula, buyout Sammy and Bert, bury Coliaicovo in GR. They only way you are going to get a #1 scorer is via trade, unless you can nab someone off the buyout list. If that happens then you wouldn't have to trade both Franz and Fil. But people want assets without giving up assets. The 90's are over, you cannot just sign players every year and keep all your favorites on the team. You want this team better, you need to make sacrifices...and giving Val $5M does NOT make this better, it makes it worse because now you are giving Brunner at least $3M and leaves you $3M to re-sign Kindl, Nyquist, Smith, Andersson AND a scorer...Please Z and D, let me know how you manage that and I will stop requesting to trade Franz and Fil.

Edited by LeftWinger

Oh, I agree and that would be in my perfect plan as well! But my response was to his complaining about me trading players and not keeping our team together PLUS re-signing Val...there just isn't enough money to give Val $5M, re-sign all the kids AND improve this team's scoring...

People can be delusional, they want to improve this team but they do not want to make changes in order to do so. Go ahead Z and D, give Val $5M, give all your kids raises and then try to improve this team to turn it into a Stanley Cup contender, I will even give you the $5.00 you earned from me as a start.

edit: Problem is, you have to ask yourself (not you personally Axe) do you want to same team moving forward in the East or do you want a better team? Same team gets you nowhere. A better team involves trades, buyouts and demotions. You trade Franzen and Filppula, buyout Sammy and Bert, bury Coliaicovo in GR. They only way you are going to get a #1 scorer is via trade, unless you can nab someone off the buyout list. If that happens then you wouldn't have to trade both Franz and Fil. But people want assets without giving up assets. The 90's are over, you cannot just sign players every year and keep all your favorites on the team. You want this team better, you need to make sacrifices...and giving Val $5M does NOT make this better, it makes it worse because now you are giving Brunner at least $3M and leaves you $3M to re-sign Kindl, Nyquist, Smith, Andersson AND a scorer...Please Z and D, let me know how you manage that and I will stop requesting to trade Franz and Fil.

Buyout Samuelson and Bertuzzi, let Filps walk. If Filps is going into Hollands office asking for a caphit of 4,5 or even more (which he will get at the open market because teams are stupid), let him walk and wish him luck. Sign Clarkson for an equal amount.