• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Red Wings Addict

Valtteri Filppula's Value?

Rate this topic

There's two things that makes me think that Kenny will re-sign him. First is the status of Helm. At this point nobody knows if we will play again, and if he does, how effective he will be. He may come back only to need surgery, and never return to 2009 WCF penalty kill Helm. And I really doubt he'll make a career on his scoring touch.

Two, is the rumour of Datsyuk leaving at the end of next season. With that being held over Kenny's head, I have a feeling that he goes the safe route and re-signs Fil to somewhere between 4-4.5 mil at 4-6 years. Kenny is a boy scout and tries to always play it safe. I don't expect to see him let Fil and Dats walk away in consecutive years. He already learned that lesson with Raffi and Nick.

Just my thoughts.

Guest The Axe

There's two things that makes me think that Kenny will re-sign him. First is the status of Helm. At this point nobody knows if we will play again, and if he does, how effective he will be. He may come back only to need surgery, and never return to 2009 WCF penalty kill Helm. And I really doubt he'll make a career on his scoring touch.

Two, is the rumour of Datsyuk leaving at the end of next season. With that being held over Kenny's head, I have a feeling that he goes the safe route and re-signs Fil to somewhere between 4-4.5 mil at 4-6 years. Kenny is a boy scout and tries to always play it safe. I don't expect to see him let Fil and Dats walk away in consecutive years. He already learned that lesson with Raffi and Nick.

Just my thoughts.

I think we need to start letting fowards go who make over 2 mil and arent on the top line. Realistically, we are going to need to spend 30 mil on or D and goalies, and another 20 mil on our top line. That reality will sneak up fast when Ericsson is the top UFA dman in 2 years and is commanding 6.5 mil. In todays NHL, forwards 4 thru 12 gotta be scappers at minimum wage looking to stay up with the big club. You cant tie up 3 mil in Sammy and have him ride the pine half the game.

I'm so very, very, very glad that no one on this board (myself included) is GM of this team. We'd make Millbury and Millen look like the greatest sports brain trust that ever lived.

Fil not worth more than $3.5m?

Helm as our second line center?

Tatar ready to step into a second line role for a full season?

Eesh.

Oh, hi Filppula with GWG and major assist now that he plays with competent linemate.

"It is an impressively arrogant move to conclude that just because you don’t like something, it is empirically not good. I don’t like Chinese food, but I don’t write articles trying to prove it doesn’t exist." -Tina Fey

Guest The Axe

Flips worth 4 mil per. Just give him 7 years at 4.3 mil per and call it a day on your #5 spot.

Oh, I agree and that would be in my perfect plan as well! But my response was to his complaining about me trading players and not keeping our team together PLUS re-signing Val...there just isn't enough money to give Val $5M, re-sign all the kids AND improve this team's scoring...

People can be delusional, they want to improve this team but they do not want to make changes in order to do so. Go ahead Z and D, give Val $5M, give all your kids raises and then try to improve this team to turn it into a Stanley Cup contender, I will even give you the $5.00 you earned from me as a start.

edit: Problem is, you have to ask yourself (not you personally Axe) do you want to same team moving forward in the East or do you want a better team? Same team gets you nowhere. A better team involves trades, buyouts and demotions. You trade Franzen and Filppula, buyout Sammy and Bert, bury Coliaicovo in GR. They only way you are going to get a #1 scorer is via trade, unless you can nab someone off the buyout list. If that happens then you wouldn't have to trade both Franz and Fil. But people want assets without giving up assets. The 90's are over, you cannot just sign players every year and keep all your favorites on the team. You want this team better, you need to make sacrifices...and giving Val $5M does NOT make this better, it makes it worse because now you are giving Brunner at least $3M and leaves you $3M to re-sign Kindl, Nyquist, Smith, Andersson AND a scorer...Please Z and D, let me know how you manage that and I will stop requesting to trade Franz and Fil.

That's not really accurate. You're trying to pay for 15 forwards, 8 defensemen, and 3 goalies. Obviously, if we want to keep all the players you mention, and add someone new, some other guys have to go. Depending on how we make the roster room, it could clear enough cap space to pay Flip and add someone, potentially someone in the $3-6M range. Furthermore, "moving forward" is more than just next summer. Even if we can't add anyone for next season, we may still be better off holding onto Flip and trying to improve the following year.

Of course, upgrading Flip is an option we should look in to, but keeping him should be too.