• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Red Wings Addict

Valtteri Filppula's Value?

Rate this topic

Inspired by the article in the DetNews: Red Wings still trying to figure future of Valtteri Filppula

What has Filppula really shown the Wings here in a contract year? And what's he showing them here in these playoffs, where the request was the same before Game 1 as it is on the eve of Game 7?

Play hard, produce and you just might stick around a while. If not, it's probably time to go.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130512/OPINION03/305120315#ixzz2T3XFnFAq

My personal opinion considering this season and playoffs, $3.2-$3.8 is what he should be making and I think that's slightly generous. Gotta show me more than one season like he had last year before i'm convinced.

17 Points in the regular season, 2 points in the 6 game series so far? Not that impressed this year.

Guest DeGraa55

Regardless of what we think he is worth. I'd say 4.5m is his minimum next year. Now I personally think given the fact he isn't a goal scorer. Nor can he carry a team like DAT. I say he is worth no more 3.5m. Maybe 4m.

But since GMs are dumb and contract cost are going up. Ya I say 4.5m prolly even more.

Regardless of what we think he is worth. I'd say 4.5m is his minimum next year. Now I personally think given the fact he isn't a goal scorer. Nor can he carry a team like DAT. I say he is worth no more 3.5m. Maybe 4m.

But since GMs are dumb and contract cost are going up. Ya I say 4.5m prolly even more.

Yes exactly, don't mistake what I said he should make as what I think he will make. When it comes to realistic terms DeGraa hit the nail on the head for about how much he's gonna pull in, 4.5 is what he will most likely earn whether we agree or not.

I think it's pretty much Filppula's choice:

1) Take a hometown discount and stay in Detroit for well under $5 million/year, or

2) get overpaid elsewhere because of a thin free-agent market

Guest Johnz96

Before this season started, his agent reportedly was asking for $5m/season but I think that was a starting point for negotiations. Because of his production this year, I think Fil, his agent and Kenny all realize he isn't going to get as much as if he signed an extension before the season started. I think they are going to hammer out a 1yr deal at around $3.5 to see if this year was a fluke for whatever reason and then work on an extension from there depending on his production next year.

Guest Playmaker

I think it's pretty much Filppula's choice:

1) Take a hometown discount and stay in Detroit for well under $5 million/year, or

2) get overpaid elsewhere because of a thin free-agent market

I think this is accurate. It will all depend on whether Flip is set on staying in Detroit or he wants to make more elsewhere. He's frustrating, to be sure. You see the flashes of talent there like on the Nyquist goal, but other times, he's just so invisible. I'm not judging him on the one bad play. That really could and does happen to most players. Getzlaf gave it away to Zetterberg and he almost ended it in regulation.

17 Points in the regular season, 2 points in the 6 game series so far? Not that impressed this year.

Im subtracting a point for that terrible turnover in game 6 that lead directly to a goal

For his production/impact on a game 3.5 million at least. On the open market probably 4.5-5. If so let him walk. That money can be used plenty of other places. Fil has had many many chances to prove his worth on this team over the years. My prediction: Holland does and Holland does and will pay 5 million for him.

Im subtracting a point for that terrible turnover in game 6 that lead directly to a goal

For his production/impact on a game 3.5 million at least. On the open market probably 4.5-5. If so let him walk. That money can be used plenty of other places. Fil has had many many chances to prove his worth on this team over the years. My prediction: Holland does and Holland does and will pay 5 million for him.

Not necessarily. Holland will just wait until he is 35 and then resign him to an overpaying contract. (This is sarcasm for those of you without a sense of humor)

Fil is a good player but he can go. He is a play maker not a scorer and he does not play well in a game with any kind of physical play in it. The Wings need somebody who can put the puck in the net for 4m+ and that's not Fil. I think Kenny should have dealt him at the deadline. Holland will over pay him though because Holland won't change this team.

Tough issue for me personally because I am a fan of Filppula. Last year I was pretty happy when he had his breakout year. I was also happy with the way my "Fil is 'too nice'" thread turned out. If you don't remember, the thread had a poll that asked how we fans here at LGW defined a 'breakout year' for him and he actually ended up producing as much as we irrationally/rationally wanted him to for 2011-2012. I took that as a sign that maybe he's turned a corner.

Obviously this year is nothing like last year. When I read those reports that his agent wants around 5+ million a year, I couldn't help but hope that Kenny and Co. were exploring the idea of trading him for an expiring contract or draft picks or both. I just didn't want the Wings to lose him for nothing. I considered myself one of the bigger advocates for a Filppula trade.

Plus at that time it seemed that we had him exclusively at the wing position. We ourselves saw how well Tatar played and now how well Nyquist played. If the Wings didn't have Filppula then it's possible that one of those two would step into his spot. In a general sense, the Wings had able replacements for him. That in itself only exacerbated my desire to trade him so that the Wings don't lose him for nothing.

On the other hand, the Wings had to fight for a playoff spot and they needed as many solid players as possible. Even though I thought to myself, "Well, why don't they just trade Filppula and replace him with either Tatar or Nyquist?" I noticed a pretty significant difference between Fil and the two young prospects. I'm sure it'll sound ridiculous to some but Fil is stronger on the puck than those two. He was simply stronger when it came to puck battles while you had Tatar and Nyquist either too slow or still picking themselves up off the ice. When you're a team fighting for a playoff spot and every second of puck possession matters you can't hastily trade away that kind of effectiveness no matter how average if your potential replacements are relatively below average.

I guess overall I understand why they felt that had to keep him and didn't just move him to avoid losing him for nothing, which sucks because it's very possible that will happen.

Like the grains through the hour glass and Jiri Piddler before him, adios Val Filppula...

$5M can be used in some many better ways this year instead of on one guy who has already peaked. We only have $11M in cap available next year (if we don't trade anyone or cut ties with Bert/Sammy/Cola) and giving a below average player $5M of it and still having to re-sign Brunner, Nyquist, Andersson, Smith and most likely Kindl, that leaves next to nothing to improve the scoring of this team...If Ken Holland folds and gives Val more than $4M TOPS, and thinks that this exact same team (albeit they have given it great heart this season) can get further into the playoffs and challenge for a Cup (especially in our new conference) he is setting himself up for failure. Even at $4M, if they don't buyout or trade some salary, its still gonna be hard to make this team better...besides $4M IMO is still too much. For what he brings to the table, he is better off somewhere else, we have more needs elsewhere...

The only thing that concerns me is the idea of Pavel leaving after next season, although I am confident in our 4 remaining centers (Zetterberg, Helm, Andersson, Emmerton) Holland may freak out and give Filppula what he wants because "he knows our system" (ie Quincey.) I honestly think that if Holland addresses our more pressing need of getting bigger and more scoring, that if Pavel does indeed leave (let it be known that you cannot REPLACE Datsyuk) Pav's scoring could possibly be absorbed by that legit #1 sniper that Holland spends $7M on this off season. Of course even that $7M player would be hard to attain without trading away or cutting salary unless he finds some deals on the buyout market (ie Heatley.)

I say, when our season ends, call Val's agent, offer multiple years @ $3.5M and if he doesn't accept, then start the trade calls. I had said before that Erik Cole would fit in very nice here playing on the 2nd line and is only a year removed from 35 goals among 61 points. If Holland could land someone like Heatley on the buyout market that would solidify our top 2 lines even without Val. Dallas is for sure looking for change after this season and with Jim Nill taking over, he will be expected to make those changes soon. Acquiring someone like Val would be a step in the right direction. I still trade Val's rights for Cole, buyout Sammy, Bert and bury Cola in the minors (unless someone claims him.) That would give us way enough cash to re-sign our kids and still acquire that #1 scorer...

Last season was evidently not a breakout year but an anomaly.

He's 29 years old on his 7th season in the NHL. Most other seasons he ends up around 15 goals and a 35-40 point guy, and will likely continue to be that at best.

The screw up on the goal the other night is especially irritating because one of the positives of Flip's otherwise unremarkable play is that he's a dependable two way forward who doesn't do dumb things like that.

its tough, i would compare him to jordan staal. hes getting 6mil next year. but since the cap is going down i would say 4 mil. he could probably get 5-6 with another team long term. if thats what hes after then tootaloo

Valtteri Filppula will want more than 4 million next year, and will no doubt look actually quite nice in a Flames jersey centring Hudler on the "I want more than I'm worth line". I'm still working on line names, but that one seems fitting so far.

I was a big Filppula fan until he s*** the bed in his contract year after getting paid for potential in his 5 year 15 million contract he's on now. I still like him, but at 3.5 max.

Fil's two points in six games looks a lot worse until you consider that he plays with the laziest player on the team (who only gets points from playing with Datsyuk and Zetterberg on the powerplay) and Dan "let the puck hit me on the way into the net" Cleary. I'm not saying he's been great, but he hasn't been that bad for having so few points. He still played a major role to getting us this far on a sick play and we still had a lead after his turnover.

If he is resigned it'll be for around 3.5-4m I'm guessing. Maybe a little over 4.

Edited by Z and D for the C

I predict he resigns with The Wings for 4.5. The Wings clearly want him or they would have traded him at the deadline, so they will pay up to keep him. I do not agree with this, just giving my prediction.

The new CBA may have helped us out a lot on this actually. We could realistically give Flip a five or six year contract, start high, and slowly decrease down to the 30% mark. He'd get more money in his prime years, and it would taper off as he ages. Start him at 4.5 and taper down to 3.5 as the contract goes on. It would be a reasonable contract that could be moved in the future if necessary.

Fil's two points in six games looks a lot worse until you consider that he plays with the laziest player on the team (who only gets points from playing with Datsyuk and Zetterberg on the powerplay) and Dan "let the puck hit me on the way into the net" Cleary. I'm not saying he's been great, but he hasn't been that bad for having so few points. He still played a major role to getting us this far on a sick play and we still had a lead after his turnover.

If he is resigned it'll be for around 3.5-4m I'm guessing. Maybe a little over 4.

Filppula's best season came because of playing with Henrik Zetterberg. The argument works both ways.