• Please log in to reply
178 replies to this topic

#41 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:31 PM

True, their current core will eventually be separated. But you'll see guys like Karlsson, Nugent-Hopkins, Shea Weber demand their trade to Pittsburgh.. it's going to be a 1970 Montreal Canadiens level dynasty.

bringit.jpg

#42 beachwing

beachwing

Reader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:34 PM

I loathe Sid but he has looked like a man amongst boys out there. hate to admit how good he is and the dude flys around every second of his shifts.

#43 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:38 PM

I loathe Sid but he has looked like a man amongst boys out there. hate to admit how good he is and the dude flys around every second of his shifts.

He has Lemeuix's skill, Gretzky's brain and Yzerman's backchecking.

bringit.jpg

#44 beachwing

beachwing

Reader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:41 PM

He has found a different gear thus far in the playoffs...im glad the Wings dont have the firepwor to make it to the finals because getting beat by Sid again would ruin me...can barely bring myself to mention 09:(

#45 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,536 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:45 PM

He looked like that because it was the Islanders...plus no one can touch him with drawing a penalty. That is the ONLY thing he has in common with Gretzky and Lemieux....when he gets some Selke talk, then he can be considered anywhere NEAR Yzerman or Fedorov when it comes to complete forwards...

Blah,Blah,Blah....Trade Pav...Blah, Blah...Trade Z...Yadda, Yadda, Blah...

#46 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,194 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:48 PM

Are you Carmen's twin?

#47 matt198913

matt198913

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Go Sens
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#48 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,536 posts

True, their current core will eventually be separated. But you'll see guys like Karlsson, Nugent-Hopkins, Shea Weber demand their trade to Pittsburgh.. it's going to be a 1970 Montreal Canadiens level dynasty.

Uh....if Shea Weber ever wanted to be a Penguin, he would have signed the offer sheet with them last summer instead of Philly... I am willing to bet that NONE of those guys you mentioned will EVER be a Penguin....

There will never be a 1970 Montreal-like Dynasty ever again, not in a Salary Cap era along with UFA status. Back then you had a team and they stayed together forever.  Never again. Too many teams, too many opportunities to make money, BIG money...

#49 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,147 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:50 PM

Seriously?  Is this your honest-to God-opinion or are you trolling again?

Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#50 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,536 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:56 PM

The Next One...remember him? Remember all the points he put up in his first 8 years, his early playoffs...he won a Hart too. He was said to be the one to take over all records in the NHL...one too many hits. Oops...oh well. One more big hit and Sid could be done. It happened to Lindros, The Next One...fast forward to now, The Kid. One more hit.

#51 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:56 PM

Seriously?  Is this your honest-to God-opinion or are you trolling again?

Honest to god. When I watch Sid play that's how I feel. And I hate him.

It's similar to the LeBron James deal in the NBA. He has Magic Johnson's passing skills, Wilt's physical build, MJ's leaping ability and Kobe's footwork. Some say he may end up better than Michael Jordan. Michaelf****** Jordan. MJ is the best athlete in Sports history, and if LBJ can stand up to him, Crosby can do Gretzky.

Edited by irishock, 12 May 2013 - 09:12 PM.

bringit.jpg

#52 Resetti

Resetti

Rookie

• Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:19 PM

Wow, this thread features way, way, way too much overrating Crosby and way, way, way too much underrating Crosby.  There's some places it's just not even worth having a discussion about him... which is a shame because, honestly, if you cut away all the undue hatred and the undue media hype that surrounds him, there's a pretty unique player that deserves a fair shake.

#53 Hiei

Hiei

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:01 AM

If Anderson stays hot and Ottawa plays like a team....It could go 7.  The Islanders showed Pittsburgh's blood (in more ways than 1) in round 1.  The other eastern teams can smell blood in the water

"Hit em with your purse, ya *****!" - Random Wings fans shouting at Franziska

#54 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:50 AM

He looked like that because it was the Islanders...

Exactly.  The Isles aren't exactly the '77 Canadiens here.  The Islanders are... well, the Islanders.  A team that made their first postseason appearance in 6 years and hasn't gone beyond the first round in 20 years.  This was supposed to be like a bye round for the Pens and it almost went 7 games.

This round they'll be up against the 2nd best defensive team in the NHL that just shutdown and destroyed one of the better offensive teams in the league in Montreal.  I wouldn't expect Crosby to have a highlight reel round again.  The Pens will need to win close, low scoring games in this round if they want to advance.

#55 Resetti

Resetti

Rookie

• Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:12 AM

I don't think I'd describe Montreal as one of the better offensive teams in the league if you watched how they played to close the season: they were the #2 seed but they fell in ass-backwards.

By the same token, the Islanders were probably the fastest team in the playoffs, and that clearly created a matchup problem.  It's always about matchups.  Just because a team has a low seed doesn't mean they won't have some advantages.

#56 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,429 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:24 AM

I don't think I'd describe Montreal as one of the better offensive teams in the league if you watched how they played to close the season: they were the #2 seed but they fell in ass-backwards.

By the same token, the Islanders were probably the fastest team in the playoffs, and that clearly created a matchup problem.  It's always about matchups.  Just because a team has a low seed doesn't mean they won't have some advantages.

The days of having huge differences between #1 and #8 are over as well.  Back in the 80s, the top seed would have 100+ points and they'd be going up a team that had about 50 points.  big difference these days.  Also, consider that the 8th seed teams are usually coming in pretty hot because they had to play so well to squeak in at the end.  Not surprising at all that there would be challenges for top seeds.  The NYI were coming into the playoffs pretty hot.

To the comment that 60pts in the playoffs wouldn't be that big of a deal.....where the hell is that coming from?  If it was done, it would be about 30% better than any other player in the history of the game has been able to do.  30% is a lot (to put in perspective, if you look at Gretzky's 215 point season, it would be like putting up 280 points).

#57 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,536 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:46 PM

Which is why no one will get 60 points in the playoffs...

#58 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,585 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:41 PM

Honest to god. When I watch Sid play that's how I feel. And I hate him.

It's similar to the LeBron James deal in the NBA. He has Magic Johnson's passing skills, Wilt's physical build, MJ's leaping ability and Kobe's footwork. Some say he may end up better than Michael Jordan. Michaelf****** Jordan. MJ is the best athlete in Sports history, and if LBJ can stand up to him, Crosby can do Gretzky.

Crosby needs a few more rings for that to happen. 

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#59 Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:03 AM

All I can do is laugh... Crosby is good but 60 I'm what 20 some games in playoffs??? When he can't even pull that in the regular season against a bad Atlantic division. Crosby is one of the best current players in the NHL but seriously lol

Please off the top of your head name the Islanders D... And then name the islanders dman you would honestly want in our top 4??? Streit (old)... Hamonic... Yes but he is probably the only one... Vis, no thinks almost all isles fans were shredding him. Then look at their goaltending, Nabby has always been a playoff choke artist and once again failed... There's a reason we wanted him as a backup and sharks didnt want him lol. Capuano can't coach to save his life and I'm sorry a team consisting of Crosby, Mallkn, Neal, Iginla. Kunitz, Letang, Fluery, Morrow. Took 6 games, 2 Ot's (which one was hand fed to the Pens) to bounce Tavares, and ummmm Moulson, okposo, Nielsen??? Lol

Ps... I hate myself for feeding the self proclaimed non troll unless he says tbh, tbqh and so on lol

Edited by Crashnburnluder, 14 May 2013 - 12:10 AM.

#60 Bettman

Bettman

Draftee

• 6 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:44 AM

Crosby needs a few more rings for that to happen. 

True, true. Of course I'm assuming that the Pens will attract players like Iginla, Hossa, and Murray all the damn time so they'd have lots of chances at winning the cup. And he has to healthy as well.

Ps... I hate myself for feeding the self proclaimed non troll unless he says tbh, tbqh and so on lol