• Please log in to reply
178 replies to this topic

#161 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:15 PM

Morrow scores a goal with a distinct kicking motion. Ladies and gentle I give you, soccer on ice.

between McQuire screaming about Morrow not kicking the puck (saying it about 8 times) and him saying that there is a phantom call on Crosby who did LIGHTLY hook the defenseman causing a turnover I really don't think I can take this commentary. Usually I can tolerate it, when it's Pittsburgh and Crosby it really is that much worse

the TSN guys were shocked it counted

#162 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,460 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:06 PM

Morrow scores a goal with a distinct kicking motion. Ladies and gentle I give you, soccer on ice.

between McQuire screaming about Morrow not kicking the puck (saying it about 8 times) and him saying that there is a phantom call on Crosby who did LIGHTLY hook the defenseman causing a turnover I really don't think I can take this commentary. Usually I can tolerate it, when it's Pittsburgh and Crosby it really is that much worse

Only started watching half way through the 1st period and haven't seen a replay of that goal yet, so can't comment, but the call on Crosby, it was pretty awful.  How often do you see a hooking call on a player with one hand on his stick who doesn't lift it above knee level?

#163 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:18 PM

Wow, guess the Sens are done, eh? MacLean can't best his old boss just yet, but he did pretty well with this lineup.

#164 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,727 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:36 PM

Pens are the favorites to win the Cup for sure.

They score enough goals where they don't have to defend well or have great goaltending.  If Crosby and Shrek stay healthy, they'll be very hard to beat.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#165 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:44 PM

Pens are the favorites to win the Cup for sure.

They score enough goals where they don't have to defend well or have great goaltending.  If Crosby and Shrek stay healthy, they'll be very hard to beat.  

Chicago scores a lot of goals. Look what happened when they faced Howie. I agree that they're probably the favorites though

Neil doesn't take losing very well

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

#166 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,727 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:51 PM

I don't remember the Bruins and Pens playing each other in the playoffs yet with these rosters.  Seems like they always find a way to avoid each other.

Should be a great series.  

#167 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,460 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:58 PM

Did anyone catch what Conacher (sp?) just did?

Edited by toby91_ca, 24 May 2013 - 08:59 PM.

#168 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:16 PM

Karlsson is a joke on defense.

#169 Rhah

Rhah

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:23 PM

Man Crosby's lower jaw really got F'ed up. Looks like teeth all up in there where they aren't supposed to be located.

#170 RedLightGoesOn

RedLightGoesOn

Playoff Ice...if you know what I mean

• PipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:27 PM

Pens look good because they haven't been tested and faced a worthy opponent yet. The Bruins-Pens ECF would leave me thinking it would be a slobber-knocker of a series.

40 for life.

#171 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,727 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:07 PM

Pens look good because they haven't been tested and faced a worthy opponent yet. The Bruins-Pens ECF would leave me thinking it would be a slobber-knocker of a series.

They were tested by the Isles.  Much of it was because of Fleury, but they were still tested.  

One could say we're not being tested by the Hawks because we're up 3-1.  It's not that simple.  

#172 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:42 PM

I'll pick the Bruins just because they're more "battle ready", and as you said, the Pens haven't even faced a real threat yet. Bruins in 7. 

Pens if Rask pulls more stunts like last night, though. 

#173 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,912 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:04 PM

Karlsson is a joke on defense.

A joke might be overstating, but it's a joke he won the Norris.  He is young and can develop that aspect of his game but right now he's a great offensive defenseman who makes a lot of bad decisions defensively. 

The funny thing is when he turns out not to be the best defenseman of all time, Sens fans will likely blame Cooke.

#174 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 01:27 AM

as true as this may be, it's classless to point it out as the official twitter for the Penguins

Pittsburgh Penguins @penguins 2h

#Sens just couldn’t compete with #Pens' depth, talent & scoring power http://pens.pe/13ROy8k  It’s time to turn the lights out in Ottawa

#175 Cali-Wing-Nut

Cali-Wing-Nut

Guppie Hunter

• PipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 01:35 AM

Man Crosby's lower jaw really got F'ed up. Looks like teeth all up in there where they aren't supposed to be located.

Thats what we call "Slack Jaw".

I'M WRECKING SHOP!!!

#176 Rhah

Rhah

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 11:59 AM

After hearing that a radio guy had control of the twitter in SJ or was it LA? Not sure I trust any of these twitter feeds as being "official" anymore. Although I am sure the org will still get in trouble even if they handed over control to someone else, dumb to allow that and still claim its official. These franchises can't afford to have someone on staff handle social media? I find that hard to believe.

#177 RedLightGoesOn

RedLightGoesOn

Playoff Ice...if you know what I mean

• PipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 12:18 PM

They were tested by the Isles.  Much of it was because of Fleury, but they were still tested.  

One could say we're not being tested by the Hawks because we're up 3-1.  It's not that simple.  

I get where you are coming from, that being up in a series like this doesn't mean a team has it easy so far. I agree it isn't as simple.

The Isle's took advantage of shaky goal tending and a lazy Pens team that was relying on Crosby to do the work for them. They were slow but once they got going they chewed up the Islanders. Nabokov was terrible when he should not have been and teams somehow don't know how to defend against Pittsburgh's offensive play style. If the Isle's could have found another level they might have forced Game 7 and potentially risk upsetting the Pens, but they did not.

We are definitely being tested by the Blackhawks, but this is my opinion. They have a good team that can strike when we make mistakes. We won a very close game in Game 4 that was not our best game of the series by essentially hanging on to a 1 goal lead for half of the game. The Wings have a very bad record when they do not score 3 or more goals, but look how we shut them down at critical moments of the game (PK, last several minutes of the 3rd). Wings are being tested and we are coming up with some big answers to Chicago's game because we can take it to another level. We have finally broken through on the PP and have shutout a team that has not been shutout at all this season or playoffs.

40 for life.

#178 Resetti

Resetti

Rookie

• Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 01:19 PM

I don't think it's fair to compare Detroit vs Chicago when talking about playoff tests anyway.  Any rivalry matchup like that levels the playing field based purely on the hatred.  On paper Chicago should be killing Detroit, but the bad blood neutralizes any advantages Chicago would otherwise have.

As for the Penguins, the Islanders definitely challenged them with their speed.  New York was arguably the fastest team in the playoffs and that exposed the Penguins defense.  It's not as though they don't have some high-end talent.  As for Ottawa, they were the East's top-rated defense with a goalie that posted pretty incredible numbers this season.  It's a little weird to hold it against Pittsburgh instead of giving them any credit for making it a short series.

I understand the point that New York and Ottawa aren't particularly experienced teams, and that Boston has more veteran players than either of them, but it's hard not to have Pittsburgh as the favorite to come out of the East.  The Bruins are looking better than they did in their series against Toronto and compared to how they played the second half of the season in general but I'm still not sure about them; they have not seemed themselves since February or early March.

#179 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 02:02 PM

So, Alfredsson was right?

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.