Photo
- - - - -

Which team had/has a stronger forecheck Anaheim or Chicago?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 russianfive

russianfive

Jr. Prospect

• 17 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:01 AM

Just a question in order to try and gauge our chances versus the Hawks and the upcoming series. Since we had trouble with the Ducks and their forecheck but overcame it (barely).

What are our main obstacles with the Hawks? Their ability to score? Goaltending?

#2 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:15 AM

Anaheim's forecheck is the best I've seen in a long time. If anything gives Detroit trouble, it will be their pure firepower.

Stalberg is fast, but the Ducks had some young guys with blazing speed (especially Cogliano and Etem)

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

#3 Hiei

Hiei

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:36 AM

Chicago is harder to knock off the puck because they are trying to hold onto it more.  Anaheim could get rattled, and did.  Srsly, I thought Corey Perry's head was gonna explode at the end it was cherry red.

"Hit em with your purse, ya *****!" - Random Wings fans shouting at Franziska

#4 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:54 AM

Scoring zero goals in a seven-game playoff series is not the best follow-up to signing a massive contract.

#5 jthiel86

jthiel86

Rookie

• Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:19 AM

I will admit I wanted a shot at getting Perry on our team this offseason, and was somewhat disappointed he resigned in Anaheim.  However, after watching this series, I've come to realize he could never be a Wing.  His attitude makes me sick.

#6 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:22 PM

Very ifferent styles. Ducks play a power game Hawks play a speed game. Our D matches up better vs the Ducks. I expect them to really struggle with Chicago's speed.

#7 SDavis35

SDavis35

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:29 PM

The thing that scares me the most with the Hawks is their timely goal scoring. All season, when they needed a goal to tie the game they got it. Sure, they lost a few games and we played them tight, but they looked determined vs. Minnesota. 

#8 Danielsm

Danielsm

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:30 PM

Very ifferent styles. Ducks play a power game Hawks play a speed game. Our D matches up better vs the Ducks. I expect them to really struggle with Chicago's speed.

Anaheim's speed is very underrated though with their new young kids. I'm not worried with Chicago's speed as much as their fire power and ability to hold on to the puck.

#9 Louisville

Louisville

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:31 PM

Neutral zone play will be actually more important than defending their forecheck. Chicago likes to use long passes and their speed to create odd man rushes, not dissimilar to how the Wings used to play.

#10 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:36 PM

The big mismatch in this series are the 3rd and 4th lines. You saw what the Ducks 3rd and 4ths did to the Wings. Chicago's are better than the Ducks. Thats where the difference in this series will come from.

#11 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:23 AM

Chicago plays very well in the neutral zone. However, their forecheck is not to be overlooked. We had trouble handling Anaheim's forecheck, and something tells me we'll have trouble with Chicago's, as well.

"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#12 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:35 AM

Anaheim has the forecheck, Chicago has the speed and puck control. This will be an entirely different series in my estimation. Detroit and Chicago are 2 similar puck possession teams. While I do think the Red Wings have a legit shot in this series, Chicago is probably favored in their depth and defense. Detroit has the better goaltending and special teams.

#13 jthiel86

jthiel86

Rookie

• Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:16 AM

I haven't checked the stats, but I have a hard time believing our special teams are better than Chicago's.  You may be right Kylee, but I just have a hard time accepting that.

As far as the teams style, I think it will be interesting to see how to we work against Chicago's puck possession style.  It's not going to be as much dump and chase as Anaheim.  And after seeing what Cogliano and Etem did against us this last series I'm inclined to agree that their speed is probably their most scary asset in this series.  I don't see their 4th line doing more than Anaheim's 4th line did though.  I think Anaheim's 4th line had 11 or 12 points in the series against us, not many 4th lines produce that well in 7 games I don't think.