• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:13 AM

Henrik Zetterberg (3G, 5A): A+!! Put the team on his back do!! Haha he might not have controlled the outcome of every game but Z is one of the most clutch players we have. He doesn't score the most goals ever or anything but he scores when it counts!

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#22 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,170 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:16 AM

Great write up Cryms, sometimes we do not see eye to eye, but I agree with about 90% of your well articulated assessment, the other 10% is just the difference of maybe a +/-

I do think though that Cleary deserves a slightly better grade, I have been harping on him all year (deservedly so) but he really left everything he had on the ice on every shift this series, and racked up 5 points in 7 games to go with that determination. Nyquist and Brunner look awesome together, now that bruns has his "rookie" season gone we will see a much better player out of him next year.

As soon as babs put fil and z back togetherf he got immediate results, which is how fil got his 66 points last year, him and z have a great chemistry together 

#23 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:37 AM

I dont think Datsyuk gets graded anymore. He pretty much has earned Arch Mage status in my book. He made Getzlaf invisible last night, which many people did not notice.

#24 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:16 PM

Anyone grading Howard less than an A is out of there mind. In terms of top notch grade A scoring chances the Ducks doubled the Wings up on in them basically every game except game 7. His play is a big reason why the Wings moved on. 

#25 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:18 PM

Anyone grading Howard less than an A is out of there mind. In terms of top notch grade A scoring chances the Ducks doubled the Wings up on in them basically every game except game 7. His play is a big reason why the Wings moved on. 

Agreed.

#26 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:41 PM

I'm a big Howard fan, but he had a tough time in the first three games.

#27 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:28 PM

I'm a big Howard fan, but he had a tough time in the first three games.

I dont see how you can say he had a tough three games. With the chances that the Ducks were creating early in this series Howard was pretty darn good. He was Detroits best player in games 1 to 3. 

I agree that Nyquist played darn well along with the rest of the line but with the amount of pestering an chances he created he really should have produced more. The kid could have been a point a game player this series with the chances he got but he just couldnt finish with a good shot or the right pass. Swap him and Jimmy's grades and Id say your pretty accurate on everything else. 

#28 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,727 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:34 PM

How does Cleary get a C+?

He scored 5 points in the series. You gave him a slightly better grade than Smith, who looked like he was trying to sabotage our efforts on every other shift. Smith is a D at best.

Crymson, you need to wake up and smell the Cleary coffee. It's a brewing.  

Edited by GMRwings1983, 13 May 2013 - 06:36 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#29 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:34 PM

Abdelkader B-, His production on a line that had was averaging a ppg still shows hes a plug, he made some dangerous plays that had he not been with Z and D would have burned the team, but, he was still effective enough.

Cleary: D+ Worthless 90% of the time

Brunner: B+ For a rookie, adjusting to the NA system, playing the most games of any season in his career, and playing on a 3rd line, he was great. A couple defensive problems keeps him from an A in my mind.

Other than that I agree. 

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#30 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,727 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:37 PM

Abdelkader B-, His production on a line that had was averaging a ppg still shows hes a plug, he made some dangerous plays that had he not been with Z and D would have burned the team, but, he was still effective enough.

Cleary: D+ Worthless 90% of the time

Brunner: B+ For a rookie, adjusting to the NA system, playing the most games of any season in his career, and playing on a 3rd line, he was great. A couple defensive problems keeps him from an A in my mind.

Other than that I agree. 

You're even worse than Crymson.

A guy who scored 5 points is a D+?  

I agree that his regular season was comatose, but he's been very good in the playoffs and was instrumental in actually winning battles down low and fighting for pucks.  

#31 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,912 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:46 PM

You're even worse than Crymson.

A guy who scored 5 points is a D+?  

I agree that his regular season was comatose, but he's been very good in the playoffs and was instrumental in actually winning battles down low and fighting for pucks.

No kidding.

It's funny how once someone becomes a whipping boy here, they keep getting bashed regardless of how they actually play. His 5 points has him tied with Brunner for third in scoring on the Wings.

Cleary is a warrior and it shows this time of year.

#32 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:50 PM

No kidding.It's funny how once someone becomes a whipping boy here, they keep getting bashed regardless of how they actually play. His 5 points has him tied with Brunner for third in scoring on the Wings.Cleary is a warrior and it shows this time of year.

I agree. I mean the dude is always giving 100%. And now the bounces are going his way.

But with that said I don't want him back next year. He will block the young guys. But I'm sure he will get two years and a ntc.

#33 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:59 PM

No kidding.

It's funny how once someone becomes a whipping boy here, they keep getting bashed regardless of how they actually play. His 5 points has him tied with Brunner for third in scoring on the Wings.

Cleary is a warrior and it shows this time of year.

It shows, yes; but in contrast to previous years, his body is now actively failing him, and he now also seems more prone to mental mistakes than he was in the past.

There's only so much an athlete can do when his body is not cooperative.

How does Cleary get a C+?

He scored 5 points in the series. You gave him a slightly better grade than Smith, who looked like he was trying to sabotage our efforts on every other shift. Smith is a D at best.

Crymson, you need to wake up and smell the Cleary coffee. It's a brewing.  

His two goals came from random deflections off of his body, and none of his three assists were passes to the scorer.

Cleary was, until this season, one of my favorite players in the league. As I've said, his body is simply failing him.

#34 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,912 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:06 PM

It shows, yes; but in contrast to previous years, his body is now actively failing him, and he now also seems more prone to mental mistakes than he was in the past.

I agree, except maybe about the mental mistakes. Babcock has him out there in high pressure situations. But I don't see what his failing body has to do with his grade.

In spite of all his injuries catching up with him, Cleary has 2 goals and 3 assists. That's third on the Wings in playoff scoring. He also battles in front of the net and does the dirty work retrieving the puck in the corners. But to you he was "he was unable to contribute much else" and gets the same grade as Flip, who other than a few brief great moments last night was brutal this series? I don't get it.

#35 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:16 PM

I agree, except maybe about the mental mistakes. Babcock has him out there in high pressure situations. But I don't see what his failing body has to do with his grade.

In spite of all his injuries catching up with him, Cleary has 2 goals and 3 assists. That's third on the Wings in playoff scoring. He also battles in front of the net and does the dirty work retrieving the puck in the corners. But to you he was "he was unable to contribute much else" and gets the same grade as Flip, who other than a few brief great moments last night was brutal this series? I don't get it.

Cleary's capabilities are very limited, and I think that his presence on the 2nd line has been a minus. He's slow and not very capable, and this dragged the rest of his line down. He's just not the player he used to be.

As I've noted, Cleary's production was more incidental than anything.

Edited by Crymson, 13 May 2013 - 07:24 PM.

#36 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,912 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:26 PM

Cleary's capabilities are very limited, and I think that his presence on the 2nd line has been a minus. He's slow and not very capable. He's just not the player he used to be.

As I've noted, Cleary's production is more incidental than anything.

Right. Digging the puck out of the corners, battling in front of the net and generally playing in the tough areas of the ice is incidental.

Got it.

Your assessment sounds more like a generic criticism people have repeated all season rather than reflecting anything Cleary has actually done in the last 7 games.

If we're handing out grades, there's no way Cleary and Flip deserve the same one.

#37 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:29 PM

Right. Digging the puck out of the corners, battling in front of the net and generally playing in the tough areas of the ice is incidental.

Got it.

Your assessment sounds more like a generic criticism people have repeated all season rather than reflecting anything Cleary has actually done in the last 7 games.

If we're handing out grades, there's no way Cleary and Flip deserve the same one.

Then we disagree.

#38 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,727 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:45 PM

His two goals came from random deflections off of his body, and none of his three assists were passes to the scorer.

Cleary was, until this season, one of my favorite players in the league. As I've said, his body is simply failing him.

He's been going to the net all series, hence more random deflections that go in.  That net presence from him, Franzen and Abby is what won us the series.

Maybe the assists aren't Gretzky like passes, but he wasn't scoring at all in the regular season, so I'll take it.  

His talent is no better than a C, but I think he was very effective at his role in the last series.  I still think he should be gone in the offseason, though, but that's for a different thread.  

#39 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:23 PM

He's been going to the net all series, hence more random deflections that go in.  That net presence from him, Franzen and Abby is what won us the series.

Maybe the assists aren't Gretzky like passes, but he wasn't scoring at all in the regular season, so I'll take it.  

His talent is no better than a C, but I think he was very effective at his role in the last series.  I still think he should be gone in the offseason, though, but that's for a different thread.  

C isn't that bad, he has his role and hes playing it adequately. Hes getting points, they are flukey, but hes getting them so I won't complain, but to say hes above a C is a very homerish assessment.

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#40 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:31 PM

I like how people rag Flip despite the fact that he covers twice the ice his linemates do, shuts down the other teams offense, and scores pretty damn consistently. Filppula gets a B from me as a starting grade for allowing crappy backcheckers like Franzen and Cleary to coast blueline to blueline. If they put trackers in the equipment of players to show the distances each player skates every game, I guarantee Flip would either be #1 or #2.