• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 RedLightGoesOn

RedLightGoesOn

Playoff Ice...if you know what I mean

• PipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:23 AM

Cleary is fading, there is no denying it. He still works hard and battles but he isn't as fast and is racking up the injuries. I like his attitude and work ethic at times, but his mental lapses and confidnece level (at times) can be a real minus. Nobody is going to replace him so we have to live with it for now. If anything he is just a body to get out there while other players get rest (same as Smith).

Flip is off his game. Hopefully that goal in Game 7 against the Dicks is the first step in the right direction. However, I keep saying this about Franzen too. There was a time I thought those two guys on a line would mature and be just as unstoppable as the ZDH line (and we did see it). All I can do is just watch the total opposite of that right now.

40 for life.

#42 Uncle Danny

Uncle Danny

2nd Line Scorer

• HoF Booster
  • 678 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:19 PM

On Cleary, the fact that he scored on "flukes" wasn't flukey at all.  He was doing exactly what he should be doing: going to the net and being in the right place at the right time.  I'll grant you that his body is breaking down some, however, he is EXACTLY the type of guy I want playing for us right now.  He knows his role, he digs and works harder than anyone else on the ice every single shift, and has been to a few rodeos before... oh, and he's scoring.  Grit, determination, hard work and experience.  That sounds like a playoff warrior to me.  He's playing beyond what his body should allow at this point, showing the kids how it's supposed to be done, and that's beyond admirable.

• Nev likes this
If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph:
THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED
FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD
WAS MUSIC
-- Kurt Vonnegut

#43 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:38 PM

On Cleary, the fact that he scored on "flukes" wasn't flukey at all.  He was doing exactly what he should be doing: going to the net and being in the right place at the right time.  I'll grant you that his body is breaking down some, however, he is EXACTLY the type of guy I want playing for us right now.  He knows his role, he digs and works harder than anyone else on the ice every single shift, and has been to a few rodeos before... oh, and he's scoring.  Grit, determination, hard work and experience.  That sounds like a playoff warrior to me.  He's playing beyond what his body should allow at this point, showing the kids how it's supposed to be done, and that's beyond admirable.

I would tend to agree that Cleary has been up to snuff so far.

#44 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,904 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:44 AM

C isn't that bad, he has his role and hes playing it adequately. Hes getting points, they are flukey, but hes getting them so I won't complain, but to say hes above a C is a very homerish assessment.

No, it isn't.

I guess I'm confused. Are we handing out grades based on ability or performance?

If it's ability then I understand the C for Cleary.  If it's for performance then he's apparently being knocked down a full grade because he's the LGW whipping boy this season.

#45 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:53 AM

Well said, aside from his 5 points, there were a fair few other goals we scored this series where Cleary was screening the goalie and didn't get an assist.  And as was pointed out in the game 7 GDT he was talking a lot to the rookies on the bench too.

Sure the guys's body is breaking down, but why is it breaking down?  Because this MAN has put his body on the line time after time after time for this team.  Cleary is going to suffer for the rest of his life for what he has put his body through, a little more gratitude and respect from certain keyboard warriors would not be out of place, instead of the graceless, thankless running out of town that seems de rigeur.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#46 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:19 PM

Remember back when Cleary was good at defense?

#47 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,711 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:56 PM

Remember back when Cleary was good at defense?

Yeah, that was a bad mistake by him on the 2nd goal.

His report card for this series isn't off to a good start. 

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#48 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:12 AM

Yeah, that was a bad mistake by him on the 2nd goal.

His report card for this series isn't off to a good start. 

His defensive blunders involved themselves in Etem's goal in game seven and in Chicago's second goal today.

#49 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:28 AM

His defensive blunders involved themselves in Etem's goal in game seven and in Chicago's second goal today.

I think the problem isn't Cleary, per se, its how hes used. If he were a 4th line energy/depth player, he would be one of the best in the league. But he is currently expected to match up against some of the best young talent in the NHL, and he doesn't have the physical ability to compete at that level anymore. This isn't a knock on him, his job is to be on the ice when is number is called. 

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt