Photo
- - - - -

Any tips on ways to tolerate the NBC media?

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#21 Dave

Dave

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:51 AM

Or you can justf****** deal with it. it's not that bad.

#22 Ram

Ram

Tots

• Bronze Booster
  • 787 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:51 AM

Not completely NBC related, but annoying that they don't release the schedule for next round immediately. They obviously know it already. What is the advantage in waiting until all series are done to release the schedule. :shout:

"Hey @Datsyuk13 really bro? On my bday...cmonnnn.. Someone fix that ice in the corner.." - @logancouture

#23 T-Ruff

T-Ruff

BAMF

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:58 AM

Turn it up and enjoy because they're the best hockey broadcast team in the league. Yes Eddie might be annoying, but just concentrate on Doc and Pierre and you'll be in for a good time.

#24 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:19 AM

I've noticed with the NBC brand covering every game this post-season, they have had to delude their commentary squads to cover them all. So far, most (if not all, only saw one or two) of the Hawks games have been sans Edzo, often opting for his Chicago/Crosby-loving proxy Pierre to take over.

I hope this trend continues, but I wouldn't hold my breath. With the field cut in half, I wouldn't be surprised to see Edzo (the Hawk's Mickey) calling Wings-Hawks games more often. I would suggest you just learn to love hearing the cause of every Wings goal being a "SUBTLE hook/hold/slash/pick on the Wings", spoken with a tone of complete emotional devastation.

No matter who it is calling the games, there is going to be plenty of Blackhawk love. They've earned it with their season and NBC latches onto anything that is young and hip, just like Gary and Co. tell them to. There is no tolerating it. Just have to tune it out.

Edited by b.shanafan14, 13 May 2013 - 08:22 AM.

#25 PROBIE4PREZ

PROBIE4PREZ

In Holland I trust.

• PipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:32 AM

If you have a DVR sync up the video footage with the radio coverage with Ken Kal. That's what my father does.

"I mean, the best thing for my knee, for anyone's knee, is to never play again and retire. But I'm not going to do that." o-captain my captain

#26 Rhah

Rhah

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:33 AM

I had to listen to NBC every game so far and I am not even sure its true (cause I feel like they never bothered to show who was calling the game) but it felt like it was Anaheim announcers for every game. Even if it was national guys, there was obvious bias.

I am also sort of pissed at NBC that they don't seem to know how to space the 9 o'clock game. Almost every game I had to scramble to find streams to make sure I didn't miss any of the wings. Hopefully its not a problem for this next series, unless they keep trying to put us after Eastern Conf games. 

#27 Peadydog

Peadydog

Rookie

• HoF Booster
  • 109 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:39 AM

Mute Button.  Turn on Ken Kal.  Problem Solved.

I try to do this every game I can.  I live in Colorado, and for some games Ken Kal (streaming thru my computer) is 5-10 seconds ahead of the TV broadcast.  I was thrilled that for last night's game, he was spot on, and I got to hear him call Game 7!

#28 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:56 AM

He is one of what 6 guys you listen to during the course of the game? He is one I don't care for but still. You're making a bigger deal than what it is.

That one is enough to ruin it.  Edzo is horrible and shouldn't be providing color for his own team on a national channel.  Ken Daniels called a few games last year, but you certainly won't hear him calling one of the Wings' games.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

#29 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:01 AM

Mute button.  Use your imagination.  Channel your inner Ken Kal.

Posted Image

#30 AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk

Nobody rules these streets at night like me...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:09 AM

I'm hoping CBC also has the feed and I can get it. I don't know if I can take that crew. DRIIIIIIIIVE! Waffleboarded away! Spiked back into the zone...Pierre? "Well, I remember him from when he played with the Winterhawks 14 years ago, and one night..." It's just awful and I can't believe the NHL chooses that crew of fools to represent their game on a national broadcast.

I am a victim of the science age...the underground.

Feed the Swede! - RETIRED 2012

#31 Vladiator

Vladiator

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:12 AM

OMG..... Edzo covering a Hawks game against the Wings? My ears are already starting to bleed.

#32 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:14 AM

Anybody got any creative tips on how to tolerate the NBC broadcasting?

Put the game on mute and announce it yourself; I'm sure any one of us could do a better job.

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#33 drumnj

drumnj

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:20 AM

Syncing Ken Kal with the NBC feed shouldn't be too difficult...usually takes some fine tuning to get it to match up.

I wonder how much it would cost to pay for Gary Thorne to do a series.  I wonder if that would ever work (pipe dream)...the fans of a league pooling together money paying to hear a different announcer.

Your any-time FSD online source, with pre and post game coverage along with any Red Wings specials.  Youtube page: RedWingsLive1

Red Wings and Griffins Live Games Check my profile
Always looking for people to help with the site, be it coding (PHP & JS) or design work. PM me if you'd be interested.

Cleary on, Mike!
Cleary on, Ken!
Dan's World, Dan's World... Mediocrity!... Excellent!

#34 WINGS TILL DEATH

WINGS TILL DEATH

The Enforcer. "I want my name to be spagetti"

• Pip
  • 111 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:26 AM

I've never seen a goalie called for diving, so why not take a page out of Dom Hasek's book and flop all over the ice?

Hearing these idiot announcers makes me glad I moved away from California

Same here! Back in GR and now have a full time job. Something that was hard to get out there.

#35 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,904 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:15 AM

Some of the best from the Ducks media:

Jimmy Howard knocks net off. Zetterberg dive

Teemu Selanne crosscheck on Jimmy Howard

Jimmy Howard head snapz
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKFyRNhrN04

The best was when cleary took the boarding penalty.

"that will be more than two!"

"that is just a brutal board by Cleary, and NOT the first time he's done it in this series, BY THE WAY" he mentioned this like 5 times too, we get it, Allen is a nob gobbler and cleary is trying to keep him in check

#36 AtlantaHotWings

AtlantaHotWings

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:31 AM

You can make it a drinking game....

Shot for subtle interference or similar talk

Sip of Canadian beer for waffled away or spiked back in

Bite of Little Caesars Pizza Pizza when the D-l-o talks between the benches about some obscure moment in time 5 years ago

2 shots when Crosby is mentioned.

Not only entertaining but a good drunk can be had 10 min into the game!!

"Wakie, wakie hands off Snakie" - Jason Lee of Earl

#37 Bully76

Bully76

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:38 AM

I've noticed with the NBC brand covering every game this post-season, they have had to delude their commentary squads to cover them all. So far, most (if not all, only saw one or two) of the Hawks games have been sans Edzo, often opting for his Chicago/Crosby-loving proxy Pierre to take over.

I hope this trend continues, but I wouldn't hold my breath. With the field cut in half, I wouldn't be surprised to see Edzo (the Hawk's Mickey) calling Wings-Hawks games more often. I would suggest you just learn to love hearing the cause of every Wings goal being a "SUBTLE hook/hold/slash/pick on the Wings", spoken with a tone of complete emotional devastation.

No matter who it is calling the games, there is going to be plenty of Blackhawk love. They've earned it with their season and NBC latches onto anything that is young and hip, just like Gary and Co. tell them to. There is no tolerating it. Just have to tune it out.

i love the "subtle hook/hold/slash/pick" comment! you forgot about the "slingshot" endboards that never favor an opposing team. honestly i think doc does okay and edzo, although he's a total homer, sometimes gives good insight into what's happening. bottom line is that seems to be nbc's top broadcast team and we're stuck with them. i'd love to hear him sigh as a series-clinching goal goes in off #13's stick.

"If I had a dime for every time I was wrong, I'd be broke."

-Stephen Colbert

#38 NhlEndedDynasties

NhlEndedDynasties

Draftee

• 8 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:43 AM

I used to hate the versus/NBCsports feeds, but honestly after the past few years they treat detroit like any other team.  When they were the great/dynasty team, the NHL and almost everyone behind the league was against them, but now they are the underdogs, so instead of getting the benefit of extra love for the dog, they at least get a fair and unbiased look.  Obviously FSD provides a better commentary for a biased wings fan, which I enjoy like the rest of us-- but I don't think it will be a pain to listen to until the finals if we so happen to get there.

#39 Louisville

Louisville

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:51 AM

I just drink and yell at the TV a lot.

What I don't get get is how they can have Endzo, who is the Hawks broadcaster, calling the games. I don't care how unbiased you make yourself look, it's kinda bulls***.

Edited by Louisville, 13 May 2013 - 11:53 AM.

#40 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,815 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:55 AM

This right here is enough to prove Edzo does NOT deserve his job. We have a ton of this to look forward to...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!