Best Rookie = Brunner

Best Defenseman = Ericsson

Most Unexpected Surprise = Kindl

MVP = Datsyuk

Most Unsung Hero = Quincey

Best Rookie = Brunner

Best Defenseman = Ericsson

Most Unexpected Surprise = Kindl

How is Datsyuk the MVP? He played great but Zet or Howard would be clearly the MVPs.... Game 6 and 7 were elimination games and they both pulled through for that, that's how you earn MVP status by showing up on big games.

MVP: Howard

Clutch: Zetterberg

Best defenseman: No one, the defense was terrible and I'm not going to award it to the "least worst" one either

Best Rookie: Nyquist

Most consistent player: Datsyuk

Most unsung hero: Abdelkader

Edited by kickazz

Guest The Axe

How is Datsyuk the MVP? He played great but Zet or Howard would be clearly the MVPs.... Game 6 and 7 were elimination games and they both pulled through for that, that's how you earn MVP status by showing up on big games.

MVP: Howard

Clutch: Zetterberg

Best defenseman: No one, the defense was terrible and I'm not going to award it to the "least worst" one either

Best Rookie: Nyquist

Most consistent player: Datsyuk

Most unsung hero: Abdelkader

Dats scored in game 6, and he completely shut dosn Getzlaf in game 7. Dats is the best player on the team easily.

Dats scored in game 6, and he completely shut dosn Getzlaf in game 7. Dats is the best player on the team easily.

Dats is for sure the best player on the team. I can't really take anyone seriously that says otherwise. That said, this is about this series. I didn't watch enough of it to really com.ent but from what I did Jimmy was carrying the team. I know Z was all clutch the last couple games too..

Guest The Axe

Dats is for sure the best player on the team. I can't really take anyone seriously that says otherwise. That said, this is about this series. I didn't watch enough of it to really com.ent but from what I did Jimmy was carrying the team. I know Z was all clutch the last couple games too..

A case can be made for all 3

Datstyuk is the best player on the team but that doesn't make him MVP of this series. That's not how it works. You're best player doesn't always have to be your most valuable player. You're most valuable player is the one that helped to get where you are. An OT game winner to avoid elimination (Zetterberg) and preventing other team from scoring in your net (howard) is more valuable than shutting down one star player (datsyuk on getzlaf).

Franzen had 3 goals, one more than datsyuk, that doesn't make him MVP. What you do when you face elimination is what makes you an MVP.

Pasha played an amazing series, as the league themselves including NHL.com have put it Jimmy gets the MVP for the wings first round and Z proved himself to be a good captain and was clutch.

Edited by kickazz

Guest The Axe

Datstyuk is the best player on the team but that doesn't make him MVP of this series. That's not how it works. You're best player doesn't always have to be your most valuable player. You're most valuable player is the one that helped to get where you are. An OT game winner to avoid elimination and preventing other team from scoring on your goals > shutting down one superstar player.

Guess the guy who said "defense wins championships" needs a lessen from you!!!

Guess the guy who said "defense wins championships" needs a lessen from you!!!

This wasn't a championship series so no one takes lessons from anyone. And defense for the red wings this round was terrible so by the logic wings aren't eligible to win any championship.

My opinion is so much better than your opinion! While I agree with you that Z was our MVP, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and It's not like Datsyuk wasn't one of our best players.

Anyway...

MVP: Zetterberg

Best surprise: Cleary

Most clutch: nyquist (both of his points came in OT)

Best beard: Zetterberg

Best neck beard: Howard

Most courageous when separated from bertuzzi by 2 panes of glass: getzlaf

Best logo hunter: Perry

Most overrated: selanne

Guest The Axe

This wasn't a championship series so no one takes lessons from anyone. And defense for the red wings this round was terrible so by the logic wings aren't eligible to win any championship.

Datsyuk's strong 2 way play, face offs, and ability to bring us back from the dead when noone else can are the most important things to our team. If he doesnt roof that 35' wrister top shelf to tie it 2 - 2, we lose in 5 games. No OT glory for Nyquist or Brunner. No game 6 herpics from Z. No back-stopping magnoficence from Howard. Dats is our MOST VALUABLE PLAYER. Period. Doesnt matter when.

Jimmy carried us this series. yes others played well, but in the end we won because our G was better than the Ducks G. Kudos to Kronwall and E for playing most of their shifts vs the Perry/getzlof line and holding them down.

Datsyuk's strong 2 way play, face offs, and ability to bring us back from the dead when noone else can are the most important things to our team. If he doesnt roof that 35' wrister top shelf to tie it 2 - 2, we lose in 5 games. No OT glory for Nyquist or Brunner. No game 6 herpics from Z. No back-stopping magnoficence from Howard.

Nope. That's a very childish logic. First, this series wasn't "brought back from the dead" by one player as you put it. We won in Anaheim game 2 so im not sure how you pretend as though red wings are "dead". This was a close series, not sure which series you were following. Also, If that was the case, that Datsyuk "brought them back from the dead", then Franzen wouldn't be sitting at 3 goals, Zet wouldn't be sitting at 3 goals, Brunner wouldn't be sitting at 2 goals and 3 assists as a rookie. This was a team effort by the leaders and rookies and Jimmy kept them in as well.

Secondly, the top shelf roof shot wasn't an elimination game so that extreme example goes out the window. Third of all the ones that were in fact elimination games were games 6 and 7 in which Jimmy showed up strong and Captain led the way. By you're same logic, if Zet doesn't slap the OT winner in game 6 then the wings ARE eliminated if Anaheim scores. If Howard doesn't make a save on Selanne's point blank shot in game 6 then the wings could have been potentially eliminated as well.

Also, 2 way play was shown by Z as well, especially in game 7 with the nice takeaway during the third period. So although Datsyuk was a better 2 way player, he wasn't the ONLY two way player, hence that doesn't really help towards his MVP status as there were contributions from others. In addition, to the comment "No back-stopping magnoficence from Howard": ill throw the converse at you: If Howard didn't save their butts with his saves, then Pav would be packing it up after game 4 and headed home to Russia rather than score the goal in game 6 on his backhand.

Dats is our MOST VALUABLE PLAYER. Period. Doesnt matter when.

Actually, this thread is about round 1 and so it DOES matter "when" someone is the MVP. As for round 1, it goes to Howard. And believe me, im not a huge Howard fan, but im realistic about facts. I'm not going to jump on my favorite players bandwagon every time. Pasha is one of my favorite players of all time but if it weren't for Jimmy, or Z's game winner, wings would have packed up and stayed home Sunday night.

Edited by kickazz

I think Nyquist was unbelievable. He was just so dang hungry. He also reminded me of a young Datsyuk playing on Hull's line and overhandling the puck at times, which is not a bad place to start. I think he will develop nicely.

Guest The Axe

Nope. That's a very childish logic. First, this series wasn't "brought back from the dead" by one player as you put it. We won in Anaheim game 2 so im not sure how you pretend as though red wings are "dead". This was a close series, not sure which series you were following. Also, If that was the case, that Datsyuk "brought them back from the dead", then Franzen wouldn't be sitting at 3 goals, Zet wouldn't be sitting at 3 goals, Brunner wouldn't be sitting at 2 goals and 3 assists as a rookie. This was a team effort by the leaders and rookies and Jimmy kept them in as well.

Secondly, the top shelf roof shot wasn't an elimination game so that extreme example goes out the window. Third of all the ones that were in fact elimination games were games 6 and 7 in which Jimmy showed up strong and Captain led the way. By you're same logic, if Zet doesn't slap the OT winner in game 6 then the wings ARE eliminated if Anaheim scores. If Howard doesn't make a save on Selanne's point blank shot in game 6 then the wings could have been potentially eliminated as well.

Also, 2 way play was shown by Z as well, especially in game 7 with the nice takeaway during the third period. So although Datsyuk was a better 2 way player, he wasn't the ONLY two way player, hence that doesn't really help towards his MVP status as there were contributions from others. In addition, to the comment "No back-stopping magnoficence from Howard": ill throw the converse at you: If Howard didn't save their butts with his saves, then Pav would be packing it up after game 4 and headed home to Russia rather than score the goal in game 6 on his backhand.

Actually, this thread is about round 1 and so it DOES matter "when" someone is the MVP. As for round 1, it goes to Howard. And believe me, im not a huge Howard fan, but im realistic about facts. I'm not going to jump on my favorite players bandwagon every time. Pasha is one of my favorite players of all time but if it weren't for Jimmy, or Z's game winner, wings would have packed up and stayed home Sunday night.

I think you are focussing a lot on tangibles, which is fine. But Pavs played 7 strong games and provided the goal that turned the series around. We're down 3-1 if he doesnt roof that 35' wrister. I mean, for God's sake. He ROOFED that thing! You should be praising Allah that wehave #13. Instead, youre trying to tell me how Mr. Rebounde Grande is king. Pfffff.