• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:06 PM

Just curious, why would you prefer to see a game in Detroit as opposed to Chicago, being a Hawks fan that is?  I've been to plenty of away Detroit games and if I could have a choice where I saw them, it would definitely be in Detroit, even though we travel well and seem to have a home crowd at the games I attend.  How are ticket prices in Chi compared to Det?

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

#22 AL g

AL g

Draftee

• 12 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:06 PM

• Jenny was dead on about those bad corner seats in rows 26 and 27.  They added some seats on plywood platforms and they are not elevated enough to see over the fans in front of you.  You can't see anything.  Avoid these seats or you will end up trying to watch the game on the tv in the concourse area. 

#23 Sprsquirt7

Sprsquirt7

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 03:02 PM

I am a Detroit fan from Chicago, and I have the lovely perspective of being the away fan at the UC vs my dad being hte away fan at JLA. 

As for your questions 1 and 2 I don't know about

3. There was some representation for the blackhawks when I went to the sellout finale last year. So you won't be the only hawks fans there as the Hawks travel well. The people who don't do well in opposing barns are the ones that overtly talk smack to other people and ignore the fact they are surrounded by people who don't like who they are rooting for. It is just a recipe for disaster. You simply just need to be respectful, the fact you came here to even check means you likely are miles ahead of these people.

As far as the experiences between the two, JLA is a million times better than the UC for an away fan. I have been to a wings game every year at the UC for many years. I can't count a single time where I didn't get one of: middle finger shoved in my face, yelled into my face, threatened to have beer thrown on me, or just general callous comments towards me. Now they aren't all combined at once, but still all happen. Luckily I am with my dad and my brother typically (im 27 now) who are Blackhawks fans. They are a buffer but walk alone down the hallways and things dont go well. This also isn't to say there aren't good blackhawks fans... I know plenty, but there are people who go out of their way to show their hatred for the Detroit red wings to the away fans.  

At JLA my dad came and the wings fans were generally nice to cordial to my dad. None of the above was even hinted at towards him. My dad didn't do anything outrageous besides the cheering and the random remark so I think you'll be ok. His comment to me was "I kind of feel bad because they treat you so badly at the UC compared to how I'm being treated here". So take what my experience is for what its worth. 

Enjoy the game!!!

#24 Peadydog

Peadydog

Rookie

• HoF Booster
  • 109 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 03:26 PM

As a typical away fan (I go to Sharks games in full Wings regalia)  I can offer this small bit of advise...

if your team wins (not gonna happen)  leave early or wait till all the drunks file out and have left.  The main exodus is when bad things happen, especially when the away team is the winner.   With kids in tow, I suggest waiting it out in the arena for 15 minutes and then make your way to the car. 

The other option is to stay close to other families, as you wont be a target with more children. 

This is more of a sports event suggestion in general, but during playoffs between blood rivals, it's much more important to keep in mind.

Win or lose, I hope you guys have a great time and enjoy the game without the worry of drunks and such. 

This is great advice.  I live in Denver, and go to every Wings game here.  Even if your team loses, don't file out with the masses.  It's the drunks that will cause the problems.  I've never had trouble with the Avs fans (even back in the day when the rivalry was real).  Keep the chirping good-natured, and have fun!

#25 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 03:50 PM

I have been a home fan at JLA a few times, and haven't seen away fans get heckled too much. There are always a few people who have way too much to drink and try to stir something up, but I don't see why anyone would do that to you if you have young kids with you

I've been an away fan at Honda center, staples center and the UC. The UC is the only one where I've been heckled, but I was always either a kid or young teenager at the other two. Nobody has ever really crossed a line when I've been to the UC, but they've made it annoying enough that I won't be going to any road games this series.

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

#26 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,679 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:13 PM

I went to UC with my daughter a few years back to watch a Hawks/Canes game.  We were there to watch Jeff Skinner.  The Canes were losing and the guy next to me made a remark that my team was losing.  I said that's okay I'm a Red Wings fan.  Never talked to me again :lol:

#27 DntDrnkThWtr

DntDrnkThWtr

Draftee

• 4 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:52 PM

well I would have an option for either my Sharp jersey but its a red one so doesn't really help or borrow a throwback/winter classic from a friend but I have a liking for my Kane Allstar jersey from Ottawa

As for why Id like to see the battle at JLA - because I have it on my bucket list (like many men I'm sure) to see a game in every stadium and what better time than during a rivalry in the playoffs - plus as I said I work at the UC so I have to be at every game so I can't enjoy it as much

As far as prices range they are RIDICULOUSLY different. UC prices for our first 2 games this round - standing room: (up in the rafters unlike JLA) $85 - 300 level: $145 200 level: $240+ 100 level: $350 (face value on ticketmaster is like 80-600)

JLA prices range from 60-200 face value

And as for the national anthem, that's one of the things ill really miss about the game (well and the Chelsea Dagger playing :))

#28 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,679 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:17 PM

well I would have an option for either my Sharp jersey but its a red one so doesn't really help or borrow a throwback/winter classic from a friend but I have a liking for my Kane Allstar jersey from Ottawa

As for why Id like to see the battle at JLA - because I have it on my bucket list (like many men I'm sure) to see a game in every stadium and what better time than during a rivalry in the playoffs - plus as I said I work at the UC so I have to be at every game so I can't enjoy it as much

As far as prices range they are RIDICULOUSLY different. UC prices for our first 2 games this round - standing room: (up in the rafters unlike JLA) $85 - 300 level: $145 200 level: $240+ 100 level: $350 (face value on ticketmaster is like 80-600)

JLA prices range from 60-200 face value

And as for the national anthem, that's one of the things ill really miss about the game (well and the Chelsea Dagger playing :))

A song about a hooker for your goal song. SMH

#29 AL g

AL g

Draftee

• 12 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:22 PM

Good thing you are going to see them in the playoffs this year since the Wings are moving to the Eastern Conference next year.  The only way they will meet in the playoffs is if they both make the finals.  And they will only meet twice during the regular season.  The luster of this great rivalry will be lost. 

#30 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,818 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:50 PM

Don't worry...especially if your girl is a Wings fan, they may chirp her more than you about why she is with you.  Hopefully it doesn't get to the point (from the drunks) to where he need to defend your girlfriend honor.  If it got that bad, trust me, 99% of the Wings fans in your section would toss the drunk out on his ass before you. We are pretty respectful as long as the opposition fans are. You will enjoy the game (not too much hopefully!)

I was at the JLA for the first Det v. Pit game after the 2008 Cup finals and my two kids, my wife and myself sat in a section that was ALL Pens fans (not by design, trust me.) There were probably 40+ to our little group of 4.  I actually thought I was going to take some heat from everyone there considering that I was in the enemy section.  Nothing, we actually had great conversations with them they took photos of my family with the JLA ice behind us, there wasn't even much chirping going on....they did comment on how much more nice the crowd was compare to Calgary...

Just go there watch the game, poke fun with your girl and don't be an ass and you have ZERO to worry about...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#31 Seraph

Seraph

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:59 PM

You'll be fine as long as you realize you're in another team's barn and show due respect. Otherwise, expect some friendly ridicule.

Formerly known as The Nephilim.

QUOTE (Amberoonie)
Babs sure hurries himself into the presser, sits down, and f*cks up a bottle of water like no one in the room has had any for days.

#32 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,751 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:19 PM

I am a Detroit fan from Chicago, and I have the lovely perspective of being the away fan at the UC vs my dad being hte away fan at JLA. 

As for your questions 1 and 2 I don't know about

3. There was some representation for the blackhawks when I went to the sellout finale last year. So you won't be the only hawks fans there as the Hawks travel well. The people who don't do well in opposing barns are the ones that overtly talk smack to other people and ignore the fact they are surrounded by people who don't like who they are rooting for. It is just a recipe for disaster. You simply just need to be respectful, the fact you came here to even check means you likely are miles ahead of these people.

As far as the experiences between the two, JLA is a million times better than the UC for an away fan. I have been to a wings game every year at the UC for many years. I can't count a single time where I didn't get one of: middle finger shoved in my face, yelled into my face, threatened to have beer thrown on me, or just general callous comments towards me. Now they aren't all combined at once, but still all happen. Luckily I am with my dad and my brother typically (im 27 now) who are Blackhawks fans. They are a buffer but walk alone down the hallways and things dont go well. This also isn't to say there aren't good blackhawks fans... I know plenty, but there are people who go out of their way to show their hatred for the Detroit red wings to the away fans.  

At JLA my dad came and the wings fans were generally nice to cordial to my dad. None of the above was even hinted at towards him. My dad didn't do anything outrageous besides the cheering and the random remark so I think you'll be ok. His comment to me was "I kind of feel bad because they treat you so badly at the UC compared to how I'm being treated here". So take what my experience is for what its worth. 

Enjoy the game!!!

Being from the land of cheese - aka Wisconsin - I've found that folks from the greater Detroit area, and Milwaukee are similar, and generally respectful of opposing fans...

That being said - like you I've never been to a Red Wings game at the old Stadium, or the UC without some a-hole (or a plethora of a-holes) giving me grief...Sumthin must be in the water down there.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#33 HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

Hi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts
  • Location:Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 762.20 miles from the Joe Louis Arena

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:44 PM

As well living in Minnesota I am not sure about 1 and 2, but when Wings come to town here in Minnesota I go. Everywhere I go down by the X, I hear about how there is always Wings fans everywhere you look (which is true). We have a great following. I do believe every team got the assholes fans, I have seen it with Wild fans and Red Wings fans getting into each other faces. I will admit I have done my fair share of smack talk with others but nothing crazy ever happens.

Enjoy, I wish I could go to the Joe!

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

#34 8 Legged RedWing

8 Legged RedWing

Arms... Legs... Whatever.

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:56 PM

I've been to a couple Wings v Hawks games at the Joe and there are always a couple aholes who think it's okay to clap and cheer during the national anthem just because they are wearing Chicago gear. As long as you don't do that or try to start a "Detroit sucks" chant, you will be fine.

#35 Cali-Wing-Nut

Cali-Wing-Nut

Guppie Hunter

• PipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:49 PM

I'll bump this to see how things turned out.

I'm hoping the OP was treated nicely and enjoyed watching the Wings go ahead in the series :)

I'M WRECKING SHOP!!!

#36 Rhah

Rhah

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:27 AM

Do we need to finance this guy and his son to come to game 4 too?