• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
13dangledangle

Official Franzen VS Hossa

Rate this topic

Pretty sure that's incorrect. Players need to go through waivers before teams can buy them out. Once the buy out is complete, the player immediately becomes a UFA.

That is good news! No one would dare pick up that lengthy contract, eh? He passes through waivers, becomes a UFA and signs with us on the cheap! Then we trade Fil to Dallas for Cole and then sign Pascal Dupuis...

Then I awake and wonder why I am not a GM, because all of my trades make so much sense! :D /sarcasm/

He is great defensively, and even when he "floats" he still is creating space out there and drawing players to him. No player will be like "duh, franzen is floating today no one cover him..." despite what some people here think, even when he is floating he still is a very real threat to score.

Actually they wouldn't need to. When hes floating hes just hanging around the boards away from the goal.

Hossa, Parise, it doesn't matter. Those guys are good, but they want the money. Chicago payed dearly to get Hossa, and let go of some really good players that they miss. I don't think buying players like that wins you a Cup.

Hmmmm....

hossa-cup.jpg

Only the Hurricanes were willing to take a chance on him. That is telling.

My issue is it was a one year deal with cap space we weren't using anyway. I completely understand the possibility that Datsyuk didn't even want him here and might have told Holland so, but it still grinds my gears a bit considering he did play well for the Canes (even if the team didn't improve due to their acquisitions).

Pretty sure that's incorrect. Players need to go through waivers before teams can buy them out. Once the buy out is complete, the player immediately becomes a UFA.

Plus why would the hawks first resort to buying him out? If I was the GM I would attempt a trade, for a player like Hossa a team like Columbus might be willing to give up something pretty decent. Even if he does get bought out I don't understand why some people want hossa here for 8 years, he is 34, that means he would be here till 42, and likely wouldn't be effective offensively from 38-42

Actually they wouldn't need to. When hes floating hes just hanging around the boards away from the goal.

and thats when he walks in and scores...

Plus why would the hawks first resort to buying him out? If I was the GM I would attempt a trade, for a player like Hossa a team like Columbus might be willing to give up something pretty decent. Even if he does get bought out I don't understand why some people want hossa here for 8 years, he is 34, that means he would be here till 42, and likely wouldn't be effective offensively from 38-42

and thats when he walks in and scores...

A couple of things working against a trade. The team Hossa is traded to would be subjected to cap recapture for any remaining years where his salary was greater than his cap hit & the Blackhawks would still face recapture for the years Hossa was on their roster. Granted they would reduce their exposure with a trade but it wouldn't eliminate it. The only way to eliminate carrying cap consequences for Hossa is that he plays for the entire length of the contract, traded or not, or they use an amnesty buy out on him which is the only way to truly guarantee it.

I would think the fact that his cap recapture follows him in a trade would end up reducing the return the Blackhwaks would get for him.

Edited by ogreslayer

Guest The Axe

Hossa is an allstar. Franzen is not. There is no comparison between these 2.

Guest Crymson

I spoke to Franzen today. I told him that his job was to dog Hossa's every step when the latter is on the ice, and to outperform him in every way in the offensive zone.

1-0 Hossa so far....Hossa has also be a huge threat almost everytime he was on the ice....I have noticed Franzen a few times, so he is doing pretty well too, he just needs the rest of his team to step it up some so he can try to equal Hossa's goal...

Still hoping for a Wings win!

At least Franzen doesn't dive like a coward.

im pretty sure franzen does his fair share of diving

so far hossa > franzen in the offense

and hossa > franzen defense hossa made a few badass defensive plays

Edited by brett

hossa sells cheap for those who buys (Pollock?), Mule does it with class.

so I'd take the animal over the sl*t.

Edited by ami

Anyone who ever thought it was a good idea to keep Franzen over Hossa was and always will be out of their minds. Even at his best, Franzen is a one-dimensional player. Hossa brought you all the offensive upside and more that Franzen at his best brings (let's hope "brings" is still the proper word, but "brought" is probably more appropriate at this point...), and on top of that he's great in the defensive zone and one of the hardest workers on the ice every night, which is a great example for the younger players. It was absolutely insane that Holland prioritized Franzen over Hossa.

Holland should've done all that was necessary to keep both Franzen and Hossa, and don't give me the "not enough cap room" crap, he absolutely could've done more to clear space. But he was afraid to for the same reasons that lead to him prioritizing Franzen in the first place; he's too sentimental (or something...) on guys that have been with the team longer. Sure, it would've hurt our depth a bit, but we ended up losing some of the guys we prioritized over Hossa anyways, and the new depth guys we signed would've been able to be signed even after signing Hossa.

Now more than ever, when you have a chance to lock up a guy like Hossa, a guy who could be a legitimate franchise player on most teams in this league, you do it. And to think, we were trying to sign Parise at what, $9 million last summer when we could've had Hossa for around $5 million. It still just makes me sick and is one of the many reasons I still question Holland's ability to manage this team well in the cap era.

Edited by gcom007

Holland should've done all that was necessary to keep both Franzen and Hossa, and don't give me the "not enough cap room" crap, he absolutely could've done more to clear space. But he was afraid to for the same reasons that lead to him prioritizing Franzen in the first place; he's too sentimental (or something...) on guys that have been with the team longer. Sure, it would've hurt our depth a bit, but we ended up losing some of the guys we prioritized over Hossa anyways, and the new depth guys we signed would've been able to be signed even after signing Hossa.

I completely agree with you on Hossa's ability. But look back to 08-09 and 09-10. It's wasn't depth that stopped Holland from going after both, it was the pay raise of Zetterberg 2.6 million the year with Hossa to 6 million. If Holland knew he would lose Rafalski's 6 million in another year there is no doubt he would have done more, but you can't predict a retirement like that.

Hossa only fit onto that 08-09 team because of Zetterberg's contract of 2.6 million. Zetterberg needed his raise more so than the wings needed Hossa, and after that. I really wish Holland could have found a way to keep them both, but in reality I understand the circumstance, and the decision he made wasn't akin to trading for Kessel.

Edited by Carman

At least Franzen doesn't dive like a coward.

Hossa was diving for the rebound not to get a call. All on the ref for a terrible call there. Watch it again he is launching forward well before any contact.

And Franzen would have to work hard and beat a player to get in the position to dive. Thats a rarity.

Anyone who ever thought it was a good idea to keep Franzen over Hossa was and always will be out of their minds. Even at his best, Franzen is a one-dimensional player. Hossa brought you all the offensive upside and more that Franzen at his best brings (let's hope "brings" is still the proper word, but "brought" is probably more appropriate at this point...), and on top of that he's great in the defensive zone and one of the hardest workers on the ice every night, which is a great example for the younger players. It was absolutely insane that Holland prioritized Franzen over Hossa.

Now more than ever, when you have a chance to lock up a guy like Hossa, a guy who could be a legitimate franchise player on most teams in this league, you do it. And to think, we were trying to sign Parise at what, $9 million last summer when we could've had Hossa for around $5 million. It still just makes me sick and is one of the many reasons I still question Holland's ability to manage this team well in the cap era.

What makes you think Hossa would have signed for $5 million?