• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

WCSF Game 1 GDT : Red Wings 1 at Blackhawks 4, (CHI leads series 1-0)

Rate this topic

Guest Crymson

If shooting is the problem, then Flip and Cleary need to be kept off the same line. Cleary will shoot, but he loses the puck just as often. Flip will try to pass on a breakaway. Kills all offense.

Yesterday it was Cleary who passed on a breakaway.

100% agree, we are not skilled enough at the back end anymore to finesse the puck out of our own end every time. We are removed from the days of Lids, Rafalski and even Stuart had a good first pass. We need to suck it up and hack it out a lot more. As soon as Chicago saw that we were going to wimp it up the boards every time they just started pinching their d almost every time. It's not rocket science.

Quincey has been surprisingly good all playoffs while having a giveaway machine as a partner. He's easily our 3rd best defenseman. I say at the very least put Kindl on with Quincey if Smith will never sit on Babcocks watch

Edit: meant to quote the above post

Edited by joesuffP

I am not at all suprised how Chicago played, they were fast, made great passes, put the pressure on our d and made us look bad, this is exactly how they played for 48 games. They are a very good squad. They played good, did the things they wanted and we played pretty bad. Bad combo. We will get better...Need to limit turnovers and shoot the puck alot more. We need 4 of our best games to beat these guys.

This.

If I play the lottery and don't win, I don't need to go through hours of heartache and analysis. I don't need an academic study to explain why I didn't win.

The problem with having the sort of history that the Wings do is that you're never going to sneak up on anyone. And they didn't yesterday. But this is still a series. Maybe the Hawks get a bit complacent in game 2. It's not the Wings' job over the next 24-48 hours to figure out how to be better than Chicago. It's their job to make sure they're ready to capitalize in case they get an opening - for whatever reason (Chicago complacency, fortunate bounce, whatever).

A game 2 win isn't impossible, and that at least makes it a best of 5, with 3 at home...

This.

If I play the lottery and don't win, I don't need to go through hours of heartache and analysis. I don't need an academic study to explain why I didn't win.

The problem with having the sort of history that the Wings do is that you're never going to sneak up on anyone. And they didn't yesterday. But this is still a series. Maybe the Hawks get a bit complacent in game 2. It's not the Wings' job over the next 24-48 hours to figure out how to be better than Chicago. It's their job to make sure they're ready to capitalize in case they get an opening - for whatever reason (Chicago complacency, fortunate bounce, whatever).

A game 2 win isn't impossible, and that at least makes it a best of 5, with 3 at home...

With all due respect.....Ummm, yes it is.

In case they get an opening?? Maybe I'm wrong on Babcock, but I don't think a gold medal, Stanley Cup winning coach of the freakin Detroit Red Wings waits around and prepares his team...just in case the Hawks lay down for a while and give us an opening!! I'm not a coach but I think this applies to more than just sports, but why wait around for something to happen that is completely out of your control (like Chicago giving us an opening)??? Why not focus on the things you can control like how YOUR team plays the game and how to be better than the other team.

Edited by Learn2LuvIt

With all due respect.....Ummm, yes it is.

In case they get an opening?? Maybe I'm wrong on Babcock, but I don't think a gold medal, Stanley Cup winning coach of the freakin Detroit Red Wings waits around and prepares his team...just in case the Hawks lay down for a while and give us an opening!! I'm not a coach but I think this applies to more than just sports, but why wait around for something to happen that is completely out of your control (like Chicago giving us an opening)??? Why not focus on the things you can control like how YOUR team plays the game and how to be better than the other team.

You misunderstand me. What you're suggesting is exactly what I'm saying Babcock should do.

I'm also saying that it probably won't matter. Because if Chicago plays as well as they can, they're probably going to win, regardless. But you prepare just in case. Because as that other guy's signature says: hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.

There was no fight or energy it really looked like a regular season game. Wings didn't show up from the 2nd on and the Hawks just took what was there. If the Wings played like that against any team left in the playoffs they would have lost. The Wings are way better than that game and the effort will be much better Saturday.

You misunderstand me. What you're suggesting is exactly what I'm saying Babcock should do.

I'm also saying that it probably won't matter. Because if Chicago plays as well as they can, they're probably going to win, regardless. But you prepare just in case. Because as that other guy's signature says: hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.

Ok. Misunderstanding. However, you did specifically say that the Wings shouldn't focus on trying to be a better team than the Hawks, but to focus on being prepared "in case" the Hawks give us an opening. That was what I was addressing.

Lastly, I think you and I are just coming from two different places. I believe if the Hawks play as well as they can, and the Wings play as well as they can, the Wings will win. I'm not conceding an inch to the Hawks until they win four. I'm not intimidated by them winning the President Trophy. This is the NHL playoffs. I'm not waiting for them to play poorly for us to have a chance. Anything can happen. Kings were 8th seed last year! How many times have we won the Presidents Trophy and been knocked out to of the playoffs in early rounds? A lot. Sounds like you don't have a lot of confidence in the Wings being a flat out better team regardless of how the Hawks play. I do! To your last statement about talent and hard work, I truly believe we are the more talented team top to bottom. I've seen this team at times this year play like a team that ANY team would be hard pressed to beat, no quit. I BELIEVE!!!

btw...have you ever heard of Zig Ziglar?

Anyway, we're both Wings fans, so even though we have extremely different approaches/outlooks, I hope we both get what we want, a Wings series victory.

At least it would solve a part of the turnover problem for sure. ;)

But honestly : Why sit him ? There were others who tunred over the puck (nearly) as badly as Smith. It was the whole defensive and offense who didn't look good in that department.

Edited by derblaueClaus

Feeling okay today. Expecting a game 1 victory on away ice (and to that degree...Chicago in the UC) against the President's Trophy winners was a very, very tall order. Our job is to split and get back to the Joe.

For my captain obvious statement of the day: Not the single reason we lost last night, but I do believe we lost our legs in the late 2nd and 3rd. IMO..there is no doubt the boys went out in Anaheim and have a few "pops" after the game 7 win. Jimmy even eluded to this fact (with a wry smile) in post game interview. Next day, long flight back to the D. Players go home and scramble to make up quality time with family/friends for a half day since they've virtually been preoccupied for the last two weeks with beating the Ducks. Next day, onto Chicago and flight to windy city and back in a hotel room. Players bodies probably still adjusting to not being on PST time. It got to them. Ran on adrenaline for the first half of the game, then nothing. It happens. That's why playing the in West has/had been such a disadvantage to us.

One other observation: I can't stand the light feather chip pass/shot when we are trying desperately to clear our own zone. We do this A LOT! When guys have been on the ice for 50 seconds and are dead tired, and the other team is all over us (I mean hornets nest ALL OVER US!) , we go for the soft chip up the boards. I don't get it?? In those situations, you have to hard around or hard out, and take the icing if it happens. I know we can't change lines in that case, but at the very least you'll get a 30 second breather to regroup. Last night the Hawks had two forwards standing atop at blue line, just waiting to intercept these attempts. They'd prevent our clearing attempt, long pass along blue line to other side of ice, and their in business with a good set up. It drives me crazy!!!!

Lastly, Quincy needs to sit. His transition game in our own zone is slow, predictable, and pathetic. Just bad.

Our job is to split and get back home. Let's do this.

This 1,000 times!

Anyway, we're both Wings fans, so even though we have extremely different approaches/outlooks, I hope we both get what we want, a Wings series victory.

Yep. Not looking for a fight, and we're on the same side anyway.

I was just being more Bill Parcells than Ziglar. I don't remember what year it was - probably when he was trying to rebuild the Patriots back when they were a laughingstock - anyway, some reporter asks Parcells about team progress, and mentions something about moral victories. Parcells' famous response: "You are what your record says you are." Which always struck me as a perfect, no-nonsense way of looking at things.

I wouldn't take it too far. Two teams separated by a handful of points over a full season = basically no difference. But 20 points in the standings over a half season? Putting aside all biases, that says the Hawks were better. Maybe not at everything, but definitely at enough things. They play the games for a reason, though, so you give it everything, and with a little fortune, maybe there's a happy ending. If not, use the series as a measuring stick and figure out what you need to improve before the next series.

$.03

There's a reason the wings haven't loss consecutive games in a month. These guys have a lot of heart and a desire to win. I'm willing to chalk game 1 up to exhaustion after that gruelling 7 gamer against the Ducks. They obviously need to limit the turnovers and find a way to get Brendan smith to calm down. If they do those things and play with the heart and desire that they played with in the first round, I'm sure they'll win game 2

Statement game upcoming

One other observation: I can't stand the light feather chip pass/shot when we are trying desperately to clear our own zone. We do this A LOT! When guys have been on the ice for 50 seconds and are dead tired, and the other team is all over us (I mean hornets nest ALL OVER US!) , we go for the soft chip up the boards. I don't get it?? In those situations, you have to hard around or hard out, and take the icing if it happens. I know we can't change lines in that case, but at the very least you'll get a 30 second breather to regroup. Last night the Hawks had two forwards standing atop at blue line, just waiting to intercept these attempts. They'd prevent our clearing attempt, long pass along blue line to other side of ice, and their in business with a good set up. It drives me crazy!!!!

QFT

seems to me they got rid of this in game 7 and 6 etc., less fancy sometimes, more direct, they didn't do this in game 1, need to get back to it.

I'm not sure if the Wings can beat the Hawks, they play a lot like the dominant Wings teams of years past. I will say this, I knew they could get into the playoffs, they did. I knew that when we got a great match up with an overrated ducks team we would win, we did. I'm damn proud of this team. Hell even Franzen, and I can't stand him. Whatever happens lets give the Hawks all they can handle.

I'm not sure if the Wings can beat the Hawks, they play a lot like the dominant Wings teams of years past. I will say this, I knew they could get into the playoffs, they did. I knew that when we got a great match up with an overrated ducks team we would win, we did. I'm damn proud of this team. Hell even Franzen, and I can't stand him. Whatever happens lets give the Hawks all they can handle.

They pattern their game after the Wings of old.

Who do you put in for Smith?

012313_white.jpg

Is he really? He's pretty stable. Smith is an embarrassment on the back end. He will be good one day, but he isn't calming down, and even in interviews he seems very, very jittery. White isn't good anymore, but he won't be as jittery.

Our defense would look so much better with Stuart. Smith needs a better partner because he makes too many mistakes and a guy like Quincey isn't going to solidify that pair. We need a number 1 defenseman. Oh, and how come every other team hits the net with rocket hard shots from all over the ice, but the wings only get soft shots from the perimeter or miss the net on an open look? It's the little things that made our older Wings teams successful. Its the little things that makes this team not so good. If I was Babcock, I'd be ripping the hair out of my head being behind the bench for a full 60 minutes.

he isan even worse choice

Usually I would agree but after the way Smith played there is no way that White can play any worse. Bring White in and he will want to play good enough so he doesn't get sent back to the press box. I want a guy in there who isn't afraid to ice the puck or make the ugly play once in a while. I would much rather rely on our guys to win a faceoff after an icing then get caught in our own end for 90 seconds while the Hawks Harlem Globetrot us all over the joint.