Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

WCSF Game 1 GDT : Red Wings 1 at Blackhawks 4, (CHI leads series 1-0)

• Please log in to reply
810 replies to this topic

#781 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,616 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:50 AM

I am not at all suprised how Chicago played, they were fast, made great passes, put the pressure on our d and made us look bad, this is exactly how they played for 48 games. They are a very good squad. They played good, did the things they wanted and we played pretty bad.  Bad combo.  We will get better...Need to limit turnovers and shoot the puck alot more. We need 4 of our best games to beat these guys.  

Edited by puckbags, 16 May 2013 - 10:51 AM.

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

#782 Learn2LuvIt

Learn2LuvIt

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:57 AM

Feeling okay today.  Expecting a game 1 victory on away ice (and to that degree...Chicago in the UC) against the President's Trophy winners was a very, very tall order.  Our job is to split and get back to the Joe. 

For my captain obvious statement of the day: Not the single reason we lost last night, but I do believe we lost our legs in the late 2nd and 3rd.  IMO..there is no doubt the boys went out in Anaheim and have a few "pops" after the game 7 win.  Jimmy even eluded to this fact (with a wry smile) in post game interview.  Next day, long flight back to the D.  Players go home and scramble to make up quality time with family/friends for a half day since they've virtually been preoccupied for the last two weeks with beating the Ducks.  Next day, onto Chicago and flight to windy city and back in a hotel room.  Players bodies probably still adjusting to not being on PST time.  It got to them.  Ran on adrenaline for the first half of the game, then nothing.  It happens.  That's why playing the in West has/had been such a disadvantage to us.

One other observation: I can't stand the light feather chip pass/shot when we are trying desperately to clear our own zone.  We do this A LOT!  When guys have been on the ice for 50 seconds and are dead tired, and the other team is all over us (I mean hornets nest ALL OVER US!) , we go for the soft chip up the boards.  I don't get it??  In those situations, you have to hard around or hard out, and take the icing if it happens.  I know we can't change lines in that case, but at the very least you'll get a 30 second breather to regroup.  Last night the Hawks had two forwards standing atop at blue line, just waiting to intercept these attempts.  They'd prevent our clearing attempt, long pass along blue line to other side of ice, and their in business with a good set up.  It drives me crazy!!!! 

Lastly, Quincy needs to sit.  His transition game in our own zone is slow, predictable, and pathetic.  Just bad.

Our job is to split and get back home.  Let's do this.

Edited by Learn2LuvIt, 16 May 2013 - 11:00 AM.

ENJOY THE RIDE

#783 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,616 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:09 AM

Feeling okay today.  Expecting a game 1 victory on away ice (and to that degree...Chicago in the UC) against the President's Trophy winners was a very, very tall order.  Our job is to split and get back to the Joe. 

For my captain obvious statement of the day: Not the single reason we lost last night, but I do believe we lost our legs in the late 2nd and 3rd.  IMO..there is no doubt the boys went out in Anaheim and have a few "pops" after the game 7 win.  Jimmy even eluded to this fact (with a wry smile) in post game interview.  Next day, long flight back to the D.  Players go home and scramble to make up quality time with family/friends for a half day since they've virtually been preoccupied for the last two weeks with beating the Ducks.  Next day, onto Chicago and flight to windy city and back in a hotel room.  Players bodies probably still adjusting to not being on PST time.  It got to them.  Ran on adrenaline for the first half of the game, then nothing.  It happens.  That's why playing the in West has/had been such a disadvantage to us.

One other observation: I can't stand the light feather chip pass/shot when we are trying desperately to clear our own zone.  We do this A LOT!  When guys have been on the ice for 50 seconds and are dead tired, and the other team is all over us (I mean hornets nest ALL OVER US!) , we go for the soft chip up the boards.  I don't get it??  In those situations, you have to hard around or hard out, and take the icing if it happens.  I know we can't change lines in that case, but at the very least you'll get a 30 second breather to regroup.  Last night the Hawks had two forwards standing atop at blue line, just waiting to intercept these attempts.  They'd prevent our clearing attempt, long pass along blue line to other side of ice, and their in business with a good set up.  It drives me crazy!!!! 

Lastly, Quincy needs to sit.  His transition game in our own zone is slow, predictable, and pathetic.  Just bad.

100% agree, we are not skilled enough at the back end anymore to finesse the puck out of our own end every time.  We are removed from the days of Lids, Rafalski and even Stuart had a good first pass.  We need to suck it up and hack it out a lot more.  As soon as Chicago saw that we were going to wimp it up the boards every time they just started pinching their d almost every time.  It's not rocket science. 

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

#784 Fedorovfan

Fedorovfan

humble servant

• 47 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:14 AM

The defense was horrable. Break downs left & right. Honestly the Wings were forunate to only give up 4. The flat out left Howard out to dry a few times.

Lets go Red Wings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#785 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:41 AM

Am I the only one who thinks we didn't play that bad as a team?  For the most part anyways.  Our D wasn't so great and we didn't throw enough rubber at Crawford, but I thought we were good in finishing our checks, being hungry on the puck, and we had good goaltending.  Watching that game, I wasn't pissed off because Chicago dominated us; I wouldn't have made that conclusion.  They played an overall better game than we did, but I've seen much worse on-ice products from the Wings this year than that.  I liked our compete level.

Edited by rrasco, 16 May 2013 - 11:41 AM.

• ami likes this

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

#786 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:52 AM

If shooting is the problem, then Flip and Cleary need to be kept off the same line.  Cleary will shoot, but he loses the puck just as often.  Flip will try to pass on a breakaway.  Kills all offense.

Yesterday it was Cleary who passed on a breakaway.

#787 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:43 PM

This is the series that we could badly use DD

IPB Image

#788 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,615 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:51 PM

Blackhawks owned the neutral zone. We need much better puck support. Once we got our cycle going in their zone we were good and creating chances. The team didn't want to work to get in the offensive zone was the problem.

#789 BuckeyeWingsfan80

BuckeyeWingsfan80

The more the better

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,931 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:57 PM

Tootoo shouldn't even be on the roster much less suiting up for the playoffs.  He would make ZERO impact in this series as it stands right now.

Don't take it from fans on LGW, take it from his peers. NHL players have spoken and they think Tootoo is the dirtiest player in the league.

Get a clue already.

#790 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,615 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:57 PM

100% agree, we are not skilled enough at the back end anymore to finesse the puck out of our own end every time.  We are removed from the days of Lids, Rafalski and even Stuart had a good first pass.  We need to suck it up and hack it out a lot more.  As soon as Chicago saw that we were going to wimp it up the boards every time they just started pinching their d almost every time.  It's not rocket science. 

Quincey has been surprisingly good all playoffs while having a giveaway machine as a partner. He's easily our 3rd best defenseman. I say at the very least put Kindl on with Quincey if Smith will never sit on Babcocks watch

Edit: meant to quote the above post

Edited by joesuffP, 16 May 2013 - 12:58 PM.

#791 IndianaRedWing

IndianaRedWing

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:06 PM

I am not at all suprised how Chicago played, they were fast, made great passes, put the pressure on our d and made us look bad, this is exactly how they played for 48 games. They are a very good squad. They played good, did the things they wanted and we played pretty bad.  Bad combo.  We will get better...Need to limit turnovers and shoot the puck alot more. We need 4 of our best games to beat these guys.  

This.

If I play the lottery and don't win, I don't need to go through hours of heartache and analysis. I don't need an academic study to explain why I didn't win.

The problem with having the sort of history that the Wings do is that you're never going to sneak up on anyone. And they didn't yesterday. But this is still a series. Maybe the Hawks get a bit complacent in game 2. It's not the Wings' job over the next 24-48 hours to figure out how to be better than Chicago. It's their job to make sure they're ready to capitalize in case they get an opening - for whatever reason (Chicago complacency, fortunate bounce, whatever).

A game 2 win isn't impossible, and that at least makes it a best of 5, with 3 at home...

#792 Learn2LuvIt

Learn2LuvIt

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:21 PM

This.

If I play the lottery and don't win, I don't need to go through hours of heartache and analysis. I don't need an academic study to explain why I didn't win.

The problem with having the sort of history that the Wings do is that you're never going to sneak up on anyone. And they didn't yesterday. But this is still a series. Maybe the Hawks get a bit complacent in game 2. It's not the Wings' job over the next 24-48 hours to figure out how to be better than Chicago. It's their job to make sure they're ready to capitalize in case they get an opening - for whatever reason (Chicago complacency, fortunate bounce, whatever).

A game 2 win isn't impossible, and that at least makes it a best of 5, with 3 at home...

With all due respect.....Ummm, yes it is. 

In case they get an opening??  Maybe I'm wrong on Babcock, but I don't think a gold medal, Stanley Cup winning coach of the freakin Detroit Red Wings waits around and prepares his team...just in case the Hawks lay down for a while and give us an opening!!  I'm not a coach but I think this applies to more than just sports, but why wait around for something to happen that is completely out of your control (like Chicago giving us an opening)???  Why not focus on the things you can control like how YOUR team plays the game and how to be better than the other team. 

Edited by Learn2LuvIt, 16 May 2013 - 02:23 PM.

ENJOY THE RIDE

#793 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 23,280 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:51 PM

Is Smith gonna sit Game 2? 

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#794 IndianaRedWing

IndianaRedWing

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:24 PM

With all due respect.....Ummm, yes it is. 

In case they get an opening??  Maybe I'm wrong on Babcock, but I don't think a gold medal, Stanley Cup winning coach of the freakin Detroit Red Wings waits around and prepares his team...just in case the Hawks lay down for a while and give us an opening!!  I'm not a coach but I think this applies to more than just sports, but why wait around for something to happen that is completely out of your control (like Chicago giving us an opening)???  Why not focus on the things you can control like how YOUR team plays the game and how to be better than the other team. 

You misunderstand me. What you're suggesting is exactly what I'm saying Babcock should do.

I'm also saying that it probably won't matter. Because if Chicago plays as well as they can, they're probably going to win, regardless. But you prepare just in case. Because as that other guy's signature says: hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard. 

#795 Yak19

Yak19

-Playmaker Elite-

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:50 PM

There was no fight or energy it really looked like a regular season game. Wings didn't show up from the 2nd on and the Hawks just took what was there. If the Wings played like that against any team left in the playoffs they would have lost. The Wings are way better than that game and the effort will be much better Saturday.

#796 Learn2LuvIt

Learn2LuvIt

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:55 PM

You misunderstand me. What you're suggesting is exactly what I'm saying Babcock should do.

I'm also saying that it probably won't matter. Because if Chicago plays as well as they can, they're probably going to win, regardless. But you prepare just in case. Because as that other guy's signature says: hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard. 

Ok.  Misunderstanding.  However, you did specifically say that the Wings shouldn't focus on trying to be a better team than the Hawks, but to focus on being prepared "in case" the Hawks give us an opening.  That was what I was addressing.

Lastly, I think you and I are just coming from two different places.  I believe if the Hawks play as well as they can, and the Wings play as well as they can, the Wings will win.  I'm not conceding an inch to the Hawks until they win four.  I'm not intimidated by them winning the President Trophy.  This is the NHL playoffs.  I'm not waiting for them to play poorly for us to have a chance.  Anything can happen.  Kings were 8th seed last year!  How many times have we won the Presidents Trophy and been knocked out to of the playoffs in early rounds?  A lot.  Sounds like you don't have a lot of confidence in the Wings being a flat out better team regardless of how the Hawks play.  I do!  To your last statement about talent and hard work, I truly believe we are the more talented team top to bottom.  I've seen this team at times this year play like a team that ANY team would be hard pressed to beat, no quit.  I BELIEVE!!! 

btw...have you ever heard of Zig Ziglar?

Anyway, we're both Wings fans, so even though we have extremely different approaches/outlooks, I hope we both get what we want, a Wings series victory.

ENJOY THE RIDE

#797 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:09 PM

Is Smith gonna sit Game 2? 

Who do you put in for Smith?

IPB Image

#798 fat guy in a maltby jersey

fat guy in a maltby jersey

3rd Line Checker

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:17 PM

Who do you put in for Smith?

jwQIDXS.jpg

#799 derblaueClaus

derblaueClaus

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:43 PM

At least it would solve a part of the turnover problem for sure. ;)

But honestly : Why sit him ? There were others who tunred over the puck (nearly) as badly as Smith. It was the whole defensive and offense who didn't look good in that department.

Edited by derblaueClaus, 16 May 2013 - 05:46 PM.

"I'd have my **** out if I scored four goals. Id have my **** out, stroking it." - "Jumbo" Joe Thornton

Monsterblue.jpg

Thanks MabusIncarnate

#800 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,806 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:03 PM

This 1,000 times!