Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

WCSF Game 1 GDT : Red Wings 1 at Blackhawks 4, (CHI leads series 1-0)

• Please log in to reply
810 replies to this topic

#801 IndianaRedWing

IndianaRedWing

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:09 PM

Anyway, we're both Wings fans, so even though we have extremely different approaches/outlooks, I hope we both get what we want, a Wings series victory.

Yep. Not looking for a fight, and we're on the same side anyway.

I was just being more Bill Parcells than Ziglar. I don't remember what year it was - probably when he was trying to rebuild the Patriots back when they were a laughingstock - anyway, some reporter asks Parcells about team progress, and mentions something about moral victories. Parcells' famous response: "You are what your record says you are." Which always struck me as a perfect, no-nonsense way of looking at things. 

I wouldn't take it too far. Two teams separated by a handful of points over a full season = basically no difference. But 20 points in the standings over a half season? Putting aside all biases, that says the Hawks were better. Maybe not at everything, but definitely at enough things. They play the games for a reason, though, so you give it everything, and with a little fortune, maybe there's a happy ending. If not, use the series as a measuring stick and figure out what you need to improve before the next series.

$.03

#802 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:27 PM

There's a reason the wings haven't loss consecutive games in a month. These guys have a lot of heart and a desire to win. I'm willing to chalk game 1 up to exhaustion after that gruelling 7 gamer against the Ducks. They obviously need to limit the turnovers and find a way to get Brendan smith to calm down. If they do those things and play with the heart and desire that they played with in the first round, I'm sure they'll win game 2
Statement game upcoming

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

#803 Icteria virens

Icteria virens

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:56 PM

One other observation: I can't stand the light feather chip pass/shot when we are trying desperately to clear our own zone.  We do this A LOT!  When guys have been on the ice for 50 seconds and are dead tired, and the other team is all over us (I mean hornets nest ALL OVER US!) , we go for the soft chip up the boards.  I don't get it??  In those situations, you have to hard around or hard out, and take the icing if it happens.  I know we can't change lines in that case, but at the very least you'll get a 30 second breather to regroup.  Last night the Hawks had two forwards standing atop at blue line, just waiting to intercept these attempts.  They'd prevent our clearing attempt, long pass along blue line to other side of ice, and their in business with a good set up.  It drives me crazy!!!! 

QFT

seems to me they got rid of this in game 7 and 6 etc., less fancy sometimes, more direct, they didn't do this in game 1, need to get back to it.

#804 Jericho613

Jericho613

Give Nothing, Take Everything

• PipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:26 PM

I'm not sure if the Wings can beat the Hawks,  they play a lot like the dominant Wings teams of years past. I will say this, I knew they could get into the playoffs, they did. I knew that when we got a great match up with an overrated ducks team we would win, we did. I'm damn proud of this team. Hell even Franzen, and I can't stand him. Whatever happens lets give the Hawks all they can handle.

#805 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,609 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:14 AM

I'm not sure if the Wings can beat the Hawks,  they play a lot like the dominant Wings teams of years past. I will say this, I knew they could get into the playoffs, they did. I knew that when we got a great match up with an overrated ducks team we would win, we did. I'm damn proud of this team. Hell even Franzen, and I can't stand him. Whatever happens lets give the Hawks all they can handle.

They pattern their game after the Wings of old. 

Who do you put in for Smith?

012313_white.jpg

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#806 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,165 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:02 AM

They pattern their game after the Wings of old. 

012313_white.jpg

he isan even worse choice

#807 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:25 PM

Is he really?  He's pretty stable.  Smith is an embarrassment on the back end.  He will be good one day, but he isn't calming down, and even in interviews he seems very, very jittery.  White isn't good anymore, but he won't be as jittery.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#808 jeff48109

jeff48109

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,521 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:29 PM

we need Lidstrom

#809 MibJab

MibJab

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:44 PM

Our defense would look so much better with Stuart. Smith needs a better partner because he makes too many mistakes and a guy like Quincey isn't going to solidify that pair. We need a number 1 defenseman. Oh, and how come every other team hits the net with rocket hard shots from all over the ice, but the wings only get soft shots from the perimeter or miss the net on an open look? It's the little things that made our older Wings teams successful. Its the little things that makes this team not so good. If I was Babcock, I'd be ripping the hair out of my head being behind the bench for a full 60 minutes. 

#810 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,601 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:01 PM

he isan even worse choice

Usually I would agree but after the way Smith played there is no way that White can play any worse.  Bring White in and he will want to play good enough so he doesn't get sent back to the press box. I want a guy in there who isn't afraid to ice the puck or make the ugly play once in a while.  I would much rather rely on our guys to win a faceoff after an icing then get caught in our own end for 90 seconds while the Hawks Harlem Globetrot us all over the joint.

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

LGW after 1 loss is irrational, after a few in a row it becomes quite comical, 22 playoff appearances in a row and 4 cups in that time and still going strong. Relaxxxxx !!

#811 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,165 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:43 PM

Usually I would agree but after the way Smith played there is no way that White can play any worse.  Bring White in and he will want to play good enough so he doesn't get sent back to the press box. I want a guy in there who isn't afraid to ice the puck or make the ugly play once in a while.  I would much rather rely on our guys to win a faceoff after an icing then get caught in our own end for 90 seconds while the Hawks Harlem Globetrot us all over the joint.

This is where I tend not to agree... White's last 10 games or so he played he was god awful, how many goals was he soley responsible for? 5-6 at the very least in those 10 games, bad giveaways, pinching at terrible times, he is just as bad a smiths been playing, at least let smith gain the experience over a plug that won't be here next year anyway