• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
DatsyukPwnz13

Babs confident Datsyuk will stay

Rate this topic

http://www.foxsportsdetroit.com/nhl/detroit-red-wings/story/Babcock-Zero-chance-Datsyuk-will-leave?blockID=902537&feedID=3701

Babcock told reporters in Chicago on Wednesday that there's "zero" chance the Magic Man will leave Detroit and return home to play in Russia.
Edited by DatsyukPwnz13

Guest DeGraa55

Great news....but stuff has happened before. I won't be happy until his name is signed on that line.

Not to be a downer, but I've heard coaches say this about upcoming free agents on their rosters countless times, only to see them leave anyway.

For the record, I believe that Babs is right, and that Pavel will re-sign here. I just wanted to point out that I've heard this song and dance before.

I'll celebrate when I see the "extension signed" announcement.

Guest The Axe

Pavs will have a 7 year, 7 mil per contract extension by July 1. No doubt in my mind.

Guest Crymson

I never doubted this much. Still, it's nice to see it affirmed by a reliable source.

Not to be a downer, but I've heard coaches say this about upcoming free agents on their rosters countless times, only to see them leave anyway.

For the record, I believe that Babs is right, and that Pavel will re-sign here. I just wanted to point out that I've heard this song and dance before.

I'll celebrate when I see the "extension signed" announcement.

True... but unlike some coaches and GMs, Babcock doesn't bulls***.

Edited by Crymson

Guest Crymson

Pavs will have a 7 year, 7 mil per contract extension by July 1. No doubt in my mind.

If re-signed, Datsyuk will be 35 when his new contract kicks in. There is thus not a chance that he would be offered a seven-year contract.

That's what I'm worried about.....long term, high cap hit to which he likely won't be worth. A contract like that wouldn't look too good in a few years (going by the law of averages, decline will begin to set in). Such a contract would bring him to the age of 43 I think.

It worked well with Lidstrom where he started signing shorter term deals once he got to a certain age, but not sure what happens here.

Not sure why Babcock would be so confident though, he's not the one negotiating contracts.

Guest Crymson

That's what I'm worried about.....long term, high cap hit to which he likely won't be worth. A contract like that wouldn't look too good in a few years (going by the law of averages, decline will begin to set in). Such a contract would bring him to the age of 43 I think.

It worked well with Lidstrom where he started signing shorter term deals once he got to a certain age, but not sure what happens here.

Not sure why Babcock would be so confident though, he's not the one negotiating contracts.

I doubt Babcock would have said this had Pavel not made clear his desire to stay with the team.

More, Datsyuk is not the sort of primadonna who would demand a huge contract at this stage of his career.

Guest The Axe

I would if you used proper grammar :P

Most likely will be 4 years 25-30 mil

Sorry! LGWing and Driving.

Dats' deal is done. Babs spilled the beans.

I hope this is true, but I seem to recall Babcock saying the same thing about Lidstrom retiring.

I do not think so, no one said anything really, they all said it was up to lidstrom. The only thing I recall was babs saying Lidstrom could still play at least another couple years, but when he was asked about it he never said lidstrom wouldn't retire, he said Lidstrom had not come to a decision yet and that when he did he would announce it

I do not think so, no one said anything really, they all said it was up to lidstrom. The only thing I recall was babs saying Lidstrom could still play at least another couple years, but when he was asked about it he never said lidstrom wouldn't retire, he said Lidstrom had not come to a decision yet and that when he did he would announce it

He wasn't quite as emphatic as saying there is 0% chance, but Babcock did say "He'll be back. He'll be back. He's too good to quit and our team's too good.''

Guest Playmaker

Pavel already left the Wings once for Russia, and would still be there if his team hadn't folded and he was allowed to return to the NHL. Now with his daughter living there and the short season and high salaries being paid, I can't really see why Datsyuk would stay here.

He wasn't quite as emphatic as saying there is 0% chance, but Babcock did say "He'll be back. He'll be back. He's too good to quit and our team's too good.''

And then the lockout happened. Who knows what would of happened if the lockout doesn't happen. Either way, Datsyuk isn't 40, he's 35 and he can play until he's 40 in the NHL at a high level. He's like Selanne, he's got too much skill not to be able to produce, he doesn't need to be the fastest.

Edited by darkmanx

Guest Crymson

Pavel already left the Wings once for Russia, and would still be there if his team hadn't folded and he was allowed to return to the NHL. Now with his daughter living there and the short season and high salaries being paid, I can't really see why Datsyuk would stay here.

Being paid top dollar to star in the best league on the planet isn't as unattractive as you make it sound.