• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MidMichSteve

Red Wings don't belong in the same rink as the Hawks?

Rate this topic

According to the Chicago Tribune:

The hammer and the nail have no rivalry. The nail may not like the hammer, but it's disdain for it does not constitute a rivalry because the hammer barely acknowledges the nail's existence.

pixel.gif
pixel.gif

Right now the Blackhawks are the hammer and the Red Wings are the nail. That will not change during the duration of these Western Conference semifinals.

Mike Babcock's Wings, who've lost eight straight to the Hawks, aren't good enough to make this a contemptuous, long series. Nor do they possess the "criminal element" that guys like Bob Probert, Joey Kocur, Darren McCarty and Keith Primeau provided to make Detroit as loathsome as it was decades ago.

I say let them keep thinking that. Most of thought this team wouldn't be icing for the playoffs, and most thought that we wouldn't make it out of the first round either. Do I think we'll beat the hawks on talent alone? NO! But, I think we will shock them at least twice in this series. Let them doubt. This team thrives on it.

To all the people who believe this OP quote, did anybody think the Isles belonged on the ice with the Pens after game 1? They ended up taking it to 6. This is the parity filled NHL now, though its very possible we lose the series, its not that crazy to think that we can pull out a win or 2.

wings will take it to game 7, where that goes, who knows, but to say Chicago is the "hammer" and we are the "nail" is a bit absurd, we took them to ot 3 times this year, and once ended in a SO. The writer here is obviously a bandwagon fan, probably only watches the playoffs, and only hawks, and doesn't even realize what the wings are capable of, as he has only seen them in game 1 against chicago. Let the people who think hockey started in 2010 make themselves sound ridiculous, because any true hawks/ wings fan knows this was truly the hardest matchup possible in the western playoffs, wings may not win, but we will wear chicago down as much as possible to make them earn each and every win.

That is overkill, plain and simple, and it probably does come from a sense of insecurity. I want this pontifying POS to eat it and choke on it. I want the same thing to happen to him and his team that happened to Woody Paige the time he thought it was the Right and Proper Thing to Do to dismiss the opponent with a flick of his pen.

GO, WINGS. Read this and do some of your own ripping and tearing. You KNOW you can do this.

That's what happens when your team sucks so bad for so long and you get all the top draft picks and can draft Kane, Toews, etc. Decades ago he says? Hm we won the cup not to many years ago and made the playoffs sense. Wasn't Chicago the team who sucked for decades? Didn't Chicago fans just start showing back up at the games in about 2007? Because If i remember right they couldn't give away tickets for a solid 10 years. Chicago band wagon fans please shut up and enjoy your 2-3 more years of being good before your team goes to crap for another 10 or 20 years while we win cups. Thanks

Hawks Team = I have to no issue

Hawks Fans = They are delusional

This pretty much sums it up. The only Blackhawk I dislike is Kane. Other than that I respect the hell out of their team and can't bring myself to hate them like a lot of Wings fans do. But their fans are a completely different story. Good lord.

What really isn't sitting well with me is how the commentators are giving the Wings no time of day. NBC, CBC, national broadcasts! During the game, talking as if the Wings already lost this series. It is so unprofessional and it is making me sick. Isn't it their job to make it seem a series could go either way to keep the casual viewer invested? I had to watch the game on mute because I couldn't stomach the crap coming out of Bob Cole's mouth the entire game. The way I see it, if they are so sure of the outcome of the series, they just as well start telling viewers to tune out because there is no point watching.

Edited by marcaractac

Is there another Original Six team fanbase that knows less about the game of hockey?

I think Nashville fans know more. No offense to you guys in Tennessee at all...but theoretically Chicago should be far ahead in terms of history, and hockey-friendly location. NOPE.

And it goes for the local hack writers as well.

That's what happens when your team sucks so bad for so long and you get all the top draft picks and can draft Kane, Toews, etc. Decades ago he says? Hm we won the cup not to many years ago and made the playoffs sense. Wasn't Chicago the team who sucked for decades? Didn't Chicago fans just start showing back up at the games in about 2007? Because If i remember right they couldn't give away tickets for a solid 10 years. Chicago band wagon fans please shut up and enjoy your 2-3 more years of being good before your team goes to crap for another 10 or 20 years while we win cups. Thanks

In all fairness, Dollar Bill did everything he could to keep the fans away short of bolting the doors on game day. It's no coincidence that Bill passed away and the fans started coming back, especially once the team started getting competitive again.

We won the Cup in 2007-08....not that far from grace. I like the Hawks, but that's some really crappy writing that only discounts what is a really good Hawks team.

Exactly. The Hawks won in 2010. That's only two years sooner than we last won the Cup, so pretending like one is somehow past it's prime and the other isn't is a bit silly.

At any rate, the Hawks media and fans are really making me mad. Aside from Kane, there's no one really on the Hawks to hate. It's not an intense rivalry between the players yet, and that is the extent of my agreement with the article. The fans and media do show a lot of ignorance when it comes to playoff hockey, though, and show every sign of people just getting used to the idea.

Mostly what I don't understand is how the media can write the Wings off so easily. We are clearly a better team than Minnesota, right? So why do they treat us like we don't belong in the playoffs?

Both teams were bad for years. The Wings got good- really good- and started kicking butt for years. The Blackhawks stayed bad until 2010 when they finally won a cup. Now they're actually pretty good.

We fans were pretty disdainful of them before they won, just like they are of us now. I recall making this little item for the photoshop war in 2009.

photo.jpg

Since then, they've won a cup, but then they didn't do so well after that. We have lost a bit of our overall dominance, especially with Lidstrom retiring, but the future is looking good with the young'uns coming up. Chicago had a good youth movement with Kane and Toews, who eventually took over the team and lead them to victory.

We may not be as good as them on paper this year, but we have leaders who have tasted success for more than just one season, and hungry kids coming up.

It may take us another year or two to regain the glory of the last 20 years (give or take), but thanks to guys like Stevie and Nick, our team has been given a good past on which to build and from which to learn.

Their team has had a nice season or two in the last few years. Credit is certainly due to Toews and his group for what they've done, and they may well be headed for another cup this year, but it in no way makes them the superior team for years to come. That will be determined only by time.

As for this year, yes, they look better, but looks can be deceiving, and as long as we have Hank and Pav, I wouldn't write us off so easily.

Geez. Little harsh. Chicago is a much better team than Detroit and probably will be for at least the short term, but you don't have to be a jerk about it, Dan McNeil! Go Wings!

Makes me sick to say it but Game 1 - Periods 2 and 3 sure did look that way. We were hanging on for dear life. We have alot of experience behind us but we really have alot of inexperience on the ice and it shows. If we can hold it together and stick to the plan for 60 minutes we can beat the Hawks but we will need our young players to grow with each game and not make the same mistakes.... I feel I could have played a better game then Smith, that guy couldn't clear our zone if he were the only player on the ice last game.

GO WINGS!