• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Fedorovfan

Red Wings should target Clarkson

Rate this topic

Power forward David Clarkson would be a great addition to the Wings.

He scored 30 goals in '11-'12 & followed it up with 15 in '13.

He plays punishing defense and could be the big free agent the Wings didn't get last Summer.

Guest DeGraa55

Pretty sure there is actually another thread on this. As there is several who feel the same.

I also like Horton.

I remember when the Clarkson fad was big around here, a lot of people were angry when we didn't get him. I was against this from the get go and i'm really glad it didn't happen, turned out to be one of the biggest busts and worst contracts handed out during last offseason's market.

I remember when the Clarkson fad was big around here, a lot of people were angry when we didn't get him. I was against this from the get go and i'm really glad it didn't happen, turned out to be one of the biggest busts and worst contracts handed out during last offseason's market.

Bickell as well, and their were rumors the wings were interested in him, god bless KH and gang

He has missed some time and is trying to adjust to the most difficult market outthere with tons of pressure. I'd take him over Weiss every day at least he brings physicality and intangibles that's something you can't teach.

But yes, so far he hasn't looked good same goes for Weiss and some other signings. We'll see when all is said and done.

Clarkson scored what he did by a combination of luck and the Devils PP strategy being "bank the puck in off Clarkson." He does nothing to create offense, isn't that great of a skater, and plays a style that doesn't lend itself to a long career. Even if he had 2 or 3 good years, that's a horrendously bad contract.

Edited by DickieDunn

Clarkson scored what he did by a combination of luck and the Devils PP strategy being "bank the puck in off Clarkson." He does nothing to create offense, isn't that great of a skater, and plays a style that doesn't lend itself to a long career. Even if he had 2 or 3 good years, that's a horrendously bad contract.

As long as he keeps shop wreckin he'll have a place in the NHL. He does that very well. But yeah, other than that he's just an overpaid sack of meat.

He has missed some time and is trying to adjust to the most difficult market outthere with tons of pressure. I'd take him over Weiss every day at least he brings physicality and intangibles that's something you can't teach.

But yes, so far he hasn't looked good same goes for Weiss and some other signings. We'll see when all is said and done.

And he of course would make sure that all the water bottles were taken care of properly.

This is always the risk when you bring in any player. be it through trade, UFA, or up from the minors. You never know how it will turn out. Clarkson was very good in NJ and has not been in Tor. Weiss was good in Florida, not here with us. Flip quit on us, yet has been good in TB. on and on it goes.

As for Holland sometimes he wins sometimes he loses. He passed on Ryan and O'Rielly. 2 20 goals scorers this year, and yes we are an offensively challenged team.

This is always the risk when you bring in any player. be it through trade, UFA, or up from the minors. You never know how it will turn out. Clarkson was very good in NJ and has not been in Tor. Weiss was good in Florida, not here with us. Flip quit on us, yet has been good in TB. on and on it goes.

As for Holland sometimes he wins sometimes he loses. He passed on Ryan and O'Rielly. 2 20 goals scorers this year, and yes we are an offensively challenged team.

Anyone who looked at Clarkson closely could tell that he wasn't worth what he got.

Holland didn't pass on Ryan the Sens had a better package. O'Reilly was never a real option.

Edited by DickieDunn

DD neither of us truly know what was offered/said etc..... during the trade talks. What we do know and was quoted many time KH: "We had questions about Ryans compete level so we didn't purse very far". That was beaten to death here and many other places. There were also quotes about inquiring about O'reilly last year and passing on him. Point is, things happen. Same is true with both Clarkson and Weiss. Clarkson is not worthless, he is very good. In fact he is a very good shooter-which is how he scores many of his goals. he is not a Holmstrom type, much better overall player. But sometimes when you miss 10 games to start a season-suspended, then get hurt, and have the pressure of going home, things don't go well. Some for Weiss. yes he should be a 50 point guy for us. But he has been hurt and was pressuring himself-life long dream to be a RW, so he wasn't playing well. The good news for both guys is, they have many more years to redeem themselves.

Where was this quoted? The only thing I ever saw was speculation by St. Lame and fans, no direct quotes from Holland about Ryan.

O'Reilly was a RFA, and it was pretty clear Colorado wasn't interested in trading his rights, meaning he was never really available. Holland is smart enough to know that when you give another team's RFA a qualifying offer it's going to be matched every time unless it's one of the worst contracts in history.

Weiss has struggled because of injury. Clarkson's numbers are down partly due to injury and partly due to lack of skill. His role in NJ was similar to Holmstrom, only his hands aren't as good, he doesn't get assists, and he fights. One of the things I saw people ripping Abdelkader for last year when he was scoring goals is that he wasn't getting assists playing with Datsyuk and Zetterberg. Clarkson played on the Devils' top line and barely had any assists either.

Weiss for Clarkson ... a change of uniform for both under performing players might give them a new start.

Hell. No. Weiss is better, and the only think he needs to get back on track is health. Clarkson isn't worth that contract now, and in 3 years it's going to be an albatross.

Weiss has dealt with that sports hernia issue this entire season, he's a lot more skilled than most around here are giving him credit for. I think when he comes back, is entirely healthy. and gets back on his game people will begin to see where the money was spent and why.

Way too many people are writing him off because how he started this season. I still keep Weiss over Clarkson without hesitation. Clarkson had an offensively "lucky" season which he won't match again. Weiss actually has an offensive skill set to him that can be unleashed when healthy.

Let's see. For their careers, Clarkson scores .217 goals per NHL game. Weiss scores .216 per NHL game. Weiss is 30-turns 31 in April. Clarkson is 29 and turns 30 in March. Clarkson's cap hit is a whole 325,000 per year higher than Weiss. The big difference is Clarkson has 6 years left on his deal, Weiss has 4. if Tor called today and offered to do a 1 for 1 trade, I very well might do it. if it was 1 for 1 with Franzen I would do it so fast their heads would spin.