• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
BleedRed&White25

Jack Adams Nominees:

Rate this topic

I haven't seen a thread for this, but thought that it deserved mention... especially because Babcock got jipped out of a trophy that he truly deserved.

Finalists:

Bruce Boudreau - Ducks

Joel Quenneville - Hawks

Paul MacLean - Sens

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=671101&navid=nhl:topheads

Edited for double chins

Edited by BleedRed&White25

I haven't seen a thread for this, but thought that it deserved mention... especially because Babcock got jipped out of a trophy that he truly deserved.

Finalists:

Both Boudreau - Ducks

Joel Quenneville - Hawks

Paul MacLean - Sens

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=671101&navid=nhl:topheads

Babs doesn't get mention because the team didn't clinch a spot in the playoffs until the final day of the season (for the Western Conference, anyway). That is pretty hard to overcome.

I'm surprised that Adam Oates wasn't nominated in place of Bruce. Perhaps someone was angry that there will be no Caps/Pens series. Wonder who that could be...

I'm fine with Babs not being nominated, but how the F*** is Quennville on there!?!? If I'm remembering properly, hockey fans were citing Babcock having a stellar team in front him as being the reason for so few nominations. So now Quennville has a juggernaut Blackhawks squad and gets the nod? Unreal.

I feel like MacLean should get it, but Boudreau is deserving, too.

MacLean is a lock for this. Boudreau did well coaching a "paper tiger" to the #2 spot, so he'll get some consideration. But there's no doubt that MacLean overcame more challenges to get his team to the playoffs. Should be the Mustachioed Man winning this one.

And I agree, Quenville has a ridiculously loaded team to coach. Babcock was always passed over for that very reason, so it's a head scratcher as to why Q gets the nod.

Babs doesn't get mention because the team didn't clinch a spot in the playoffs until the final day of the season (for the Western Conference, anyway). That is pretty hard to overcome.

Normally that's the easiest way to get yourself a Jack Adams (cf Boudreau). Agree with all the others, Babs produces a juggernaught in 2008 and gets diddly squat for it.

Then again, I've always said that the Adams is the biggest joke of all the NHL trophies. That Scotty Bowman only has 2 of them, after 35 years of coaching winning, dominant teams, shows what a joke it is.

Normally that's the easiest way to get yourself a Jack Adams (cf Boudreau). Agree with all the others, Babs produces a juggernaught in 2008 and gets diddly squat for it.

Then again, I've always said that the Adams is the biggest joke of all the NHL trophies. That Scotty Bowman only has 2 of them, after 35 years of coaching winning, dominant teams, shows what a joke it is.

9 (or more?) Stanley cups, coached the Candiens' team and the Wings team that hold the regular season records for wins and points I believe?

Q on that list is a joke. I herd experts saying at the start of the year that if the Wings made the playoffs that Babs should get a nomination for coach of the year because of how much their roster downgraded in the past couple years especially with the defense but I don't really mind the other two nominations.

It's got to be MacLean. His team was competitive despite losing their top forward, top defender, and top goalie for long stretches of the year. That is a kind of adversity that neither of the other finalists really faced.

I'm somewhat surprised that Michel Therrien wasn't nominated. He took a Montreal Canadiens team from dead last to second place in the East. That's an immediate impact that deserves some recognition, in spite of the end-of-season implosion.

Guest Crymson

I'm surprised that Adam Oates wasn't nominated in place of Bruce. Perhaps someone was angry that there will be no Caps/Pens series. Wonder who that could be...

You're incorrect on the first point. Bruce Boudreau's 2008 Capitals made the playoffs at the very end of the season, too. As for your second point, also untrue. All voting for awards is done before the playoffs begin.

Babcock will be forever jipped out of this award. It is something commonly remarked upon by hockey commentators. Blowing away every other team in 2007-2008 didn't get it for him, and making the playoff this season despite a substantial transition and a ton of injuries didn't even get him into the top three.

It's a joke.

I don't mind Q getting the nomination. He's a great coach, and has been, for a long time. When a team can attain that record in today's parity-happy context, the coach does deserve some credit.

I think BB was the worst of the nominees. I've never been too high on him. He had every chance to make it happen with the Caps, and couldn't. In game seven vs. Detroit, Babs manhandled him, in the coaching department, and BB even admitted during the series that Babs was an excellent (read: superior to me) coach.

While MacLean definitely has this award locked up, Babcock definitely should have received a nomination. Losing the best defenseman to ever play the game, and another rock solid defender and still leading this team to their 22 consecutive playoff appearance. That warrants a nomination in my books.