Photo
* * * * * 5 votes

WCSF Game 2 GDT : Red Wings 4 at Blackhawks 1 - (Series Tied at 1)

gdt

• Please log in to reply
632 replies to this topic

#621 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,468 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:44 AM

I don't remember if it was on here or HF but someone said that post game interview of Toews looking shocked that they lost is hilarious. let's see him get REALLY shocked if they get bounced by us! Wings can do this! Babcock and the coaching staff know how to do something that is extremely hard to do against Chicago : neutralize their offensive by playing a puck possession, physical, grinding game. 3 more. This team really can do it...

#622 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:49 AM

Couldn't watch the game til now¸,but either Babcock motived them big time or simply brought Chicago newspapers in the locker room before the game.Great effort from the guys for the majority of the game.

Also like how Babs keeps on trolling the opposite coach again.First adding more skill to limit the Ducks physical play(Bert,Sammy)and now more grit to limit the Hawks skill(Miller).Wouldn't be surprised if we see Tootoo as well at some point of the series.

#623 Rhah

Rhah

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:30 PM

Can't league office fine Toews for officiating criticism?

#624 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,631 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:37 PM

The Red Wings obviously need a top-six winger this summer (have for years). I won't dispute that at all. However, right now what other option does Babcock have really to replace Cleary? "Anyone else" doesn't work either as a response because that's simply the easy way out and ignoring what Cleary has provided relative to the alternatives. 

- Breaking up the third line isn't a viable solution. Brunner has thrived on the third line getting away from other highly skilled players. There's too much speed/chemistry there now and all three members have clicked playing together. 

- Bertuzzi? I would agree here for sure had he not missed the entire season. Not his fault, but he looks slow and it would be a mistake to throw him into situations with more minutes during the playoffs. 

- Samuelsson? Completely ineffective when he is healthy, which thankfully hasn't been often.

- Miller or Eaves? Both are 4th liners that are effective on the PK and forecheck/skate hard. Neither produces enough offensively to play in a top-six role for an extended period of time. 

- Tatar? Everyone's wish, but not happening. 

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#625 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:47 PM

'Hawks fans have been all over Cleary too.

#626 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,036 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 01:20 PM

- Miller or Eaves? Both are 4th liners that are effective on the PK and forecheck/skate hard. Neither produces enough offensively to play in a top-six role for an extended period of time.

I'd like to see Eaves given a shot. He had a couple good seasons for us before getting sidelined with injury. I don't think he has a ton of offensive potential, but he can't be worse than Cleary.

Edited by Z and D for the C, 19 May 2013 - 01:21 PM.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#627 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 01:39 PM

I agree with Eaves or Miller and I wouldn't be opposed to Samuelsson either.  I think all would provide more offense and be more responsible defensively than Cleary.  I think any of those players would equal the point output that Cleary has had with their entire season spent playing with the top 6 forwards. 

#628 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,252 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 02:25 PM

When someone uses the opinions of Blackhawks fans to support their bashing of Cleary, to me that's a pretty clear indication that it's gone beyond criticism to obsessive scapegoating. 

Another indication is people still fixating on Cleary in the GDT after the Wings had a convincing win over the Hawks.  I guess it's easier to be negative than optimistic, even after a big win. 

(To be clear: I am not arguing Cleary has been playing great or that any criticism is unwarranted.  Merely that it's now reached the point where people practically bash him for the way he hops over the boards to take a shift).

#629 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,631 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 03:18 PM

I don't really put any stock into that at all. I trust Mike Babcock's judgment more than a fanbase that chants "Detroit Sucks" at every chance.

I'd like to see Eaves given a shot. He had a couple good seasons for us before getting sidelined with injury. I don't think he has a ton of offensive potential, but he can't be worse than Cleary.

I actually wouldn't be opposed to Eaves either. Remember though, Cleary is actually putting up points at a decent clip in the playoffs despite the barrage of critcism. The physical part of Cleary's game has completely deteriorated, but he's still solid defensively and goes into the tough areas of the ice to retrieve pucks for his linemates. Going to the net and having pucks hit you isn't flukey either. Somebody has to do it and Cleary, along with Abdelkader, are really the only two forwards on the team willing to accept that responsibility on a consistent basis. Eaves is more of a perimeter forward that utilizes his strong shot. If Cleary is with Z and Fil and you remove him from that line, who is that presence down low then? 

I'm not defending Cleary because I think he is in 2009 form still. For most of the season, he was downright useless. However, in the playoffs he has battled and done just fine in the role he has been asked to play. He can't skate anymore, nor pass, but there are positives to his game that seem to consistently get overlooked lately. 

Again, not advocating for a new contract with the Wings this summer. The bashing of Cleary though is relentless here. 

• Nev likes this

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#630 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 03:22 PM

Cleary hasn't been perfect, but his positives outweigh his negatives in this post season. He isn't costing us games, and he has a presence in front of the net that has led to quite a few goals this post season run. With him and Franzen on each of the two first lines, We have guys to get in front of the net to make the goalies life difficult. Swap him out with a skill guy and production of that line goes down.

#631 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,054 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 04:03 PM

Cleary has scored one less point than Datsyuk (you know that guy some people here think is better than Crosby) in these playoffs.

:tounge2:

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#632 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 06:20 PM

Datsyuk does need to turn it on a bit more, but I am sure he will.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#633 jfranzen

jfranzen

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:57 PM

Two historic numbers to pitch in:
This was the Club's 600th playoff game game, with a record of 318W-281L-1T
This was Head Coach Mike Babcock's 106th game, moving him into second place on the Club's all-time lis, ahead of "Jack" Adams (Bowman, 134).

One tie? ..how?
I'm offended that you're offended.