• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Wings_Dynasty

Trade Smith ASAP!

Rate this topic

I'm in agreement with those that look at players like Kindl and Ericsson... (prime LGW whipping boys for the last few years) ...and say to those harping on Smith. PATIENCE!!

Now Q's a completely different story. LOL.

smith has been awful for most of the year. last i checked, players who play like garbage are fair game to be bashed, rookie or not.

now that doesn't mean that he will be garbage forever. he is a rookie after all. trading him at this point would be jumping the gun so to that regard i do say have some patience.

Edited by chances14

Some people here have an incredible lack of hockey knowledge. Smith is a rookie and is playing as our #3 d-man. There is a reason for that - he is already the best option we have for that spot. Yes, Smith had a terrible game 1, but so did most of the Wings. IMO, Smith's play in game 1 can be equally attributed to his partner. Anyone see Quincey available for the standard throw back to your partner when Smith had no other outs? Me either. Also credit the Hawks scouting for some of Smith's game 1 mistakes. They obviously picked up something with that pair where Smith was not hooking up with Quincey when the outlet was not available. They took advantage by pressuring Smith with 2 or 3 guys in his outlet lanes. Smith then didn't have Q to throw it back to (I'v watched the plays - Q was nowhere to be found on the other side of the ice, for whatever reason). End result? Smith turns the puck over and suddenly he - and he alone - is the one to blame for all of our troubles? He deserves some blame, because there were options on some of the plays, but he is not solely responsible. Hockey is a team game.

Now, in today's game, did anyone notice Smith playing with Coliachavo at times (not exclusively) after the Sharp goal? Smith had a much better game and part of it may be from the adjustments the team was making.

Above all else, remember: he is a rookie and learning on the fly. In about 2 years I expect our D to look something like this: Kronner - E, Kindl - DeKeyser, Lashoff - Smith, with Sproul/Oullett developing. Should shape up to be a pretty solid group, IMO. I actually wish Lashoff and Tatar were up and playing with the Wings during this run - more experience to be gained without a huge dropoff.

I understand that he is young and that we need patience with this guy and I'm more that willing to watch him develop into the guy we all think/thought he can/could be but the 2nd round of the playoffs isn't the time to be patient...with that said his rope was almost gone and he had a big game today..lets hope he can keep that momentum going.

This is gonna be an ongoing thread like Howard = Average isn't it?

Rookies make rookie mistakes, give the guy a chance. Now has a grand total of 9 playoff games under his belt and not nearly an entire regular seasons worth of games. He's a top prospect for a reason, let him settle and develop.

this thread has now killed any legitimate attempt for rational fans to be displeased with smiths poor play.

roughly everyone that has been on smiths case lately does NOT want him traded. most people just want him sat so he can learn a lesson and stop hurting the team with boneheaded plays.

however, now everyone on the smith bandwagon will instantly turn to this thread and make the generalization that anyone that critiques smith is a moron.

let me say this though, he made at least half a dozen mistakes in these first 2 games that are worthy of a weeks worth of bag skates. scoring a goal from 10 feet away into a wide open net thanks to the strong play of linemates does NOT redeem someone from all those mistakes. additionally, smith has been bad in his own end all year .

many of you keep saying how absurd it is to rag on smith because hes a rookie. however you are all just as guilty of lumping anyone that is down on smith as the irrational reactionary type of fan when many of us have legitimate gripes about his play.

this thread has now killed any legitimate attempt for rational fans to be displeased with smiths poor play.

roughly everyone that has been on smiths case lately does NOT want him traded. most people just want him sat so he can learn a lesson and stop hurting the team with boneheaded plays.

however, now everyone on the smith bandwagon will instantly turn to this thread and make the generalization that anyone that critiques smith is a moron.

let me say this though, he made at least half a dozen mistakes in these first 2 games that are worthy of a weeks worth of bag skates. scoring a goal from 10 feet away into a wide open net thanks to the strong play of linemates does NOT redeem someone from all those mistakes. additionally, smith has been bad in his own end all year .

many of you keep saying how absurd it is to rag on smith because hes a rookie. however you are all just as guilty of lumping anyone that is down on smith as the irrational reactionary type of fan when many of us have legitimate gripes about his play.

Well you certainly can go on critiziing him all you want if it makes you feel better.

Well you certainly can go on critiziing him all you want if it makes you feel better.

I dont think it had anything to do with making people feel better. He was making a good point, smith has been pretty bad with the exception of his goal today. To be critical of someone does not equate to wanting him gone.

Notice that after his goal he seemed to exude a bit more confidence out there. He just looked like he had a bit of a monkey lifted off his shoulders today...A game like today where he was really down on himself and then felt the euphoria of netting the game winner can do wonders for his mental state and help mold him into the player everyone was touting him to be over last summer... You MUST lose to learn to win. You learn by mistakes and only get better. If people weren't meant to make mistakes, God would not have created erasers. You may go through your first couple of pencils quickly, but with every mistake erased and life's lessons learned, eventually the eraser last longer and longer and longer...until finally you have the experience and the confidence to use a pen!

I don't think that's true, since not a single person has agreed with the OP.

I agree that smith hasn't played well, but he'll never be good in the playoffs if he isn't exposed to it. He improved a ton from game 1 to game 2, which is good. Babcock just needs to stick with him and he'll come around

I love that Babcock said he thought he played a great game. I agree that he is a rookie and still learning how to play in the playoffs and his confidence as a young player is very fragile. If you take him out now it could threaten the rest of his career. Show confidence in him and he will be confident in himself.

I love that Babcock said he thought he played a great game. I agree that he is a rookie and still learning how to play in the playoffs and his confidence as a young player is very fragile. If you take him out now it could threaten the rest of his career. Show confidence in him and he will be confident in himself.

Confidence is all well and good, but i think a large portion of Babcock's job is actually winning games. Limp wristed clearing attempts and blind passes don't really support that goal.

Confidence is all well and good, but i think a large portion of Babcock's job is actually winning games. Limp wristed clearing attempts and blind passes don't really support that goal.

We rely on his size. The alternative is White and he has fallen way out of favor. I don't foresee him coming out for Lashoff either.