• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Wings_Dynasty

Trade Smith ASAP!

Rate this topic

Guest The Axe

He might be high but don't give Quincey too much credit.

p.s Quincey has been solid.

Also coaching staff likes Smith.

I'm for it tbh

Agreed

This post is absurd.....remember Kronwall's first few years? Ericsson? If we listened to the amateur GMs , we would have cut those guys loose.

Relax, the game is a little too fast for him right now but that's why getting this playoff experience will allow him to grow so much faster. He'll be fine. I promise. We are definitely going to need defenseman who can score and he has that ability.

Guest The Axe

Wait...Wasn't it Jesse Wallin :g:

I dont think those guys ever saw 20 minutes in a game. Babcock likes Smith. There's a reason. He's a leader.

If anyone of our D gets traded it will be Quincey or Kindl... not that I am advocating trading anyone, but if the Wings have a line a legit top paring guy, then Q and K are the expendable ones.... As of the start of the 13-14 season (barring a trade) your top four is:

Kronner - Big E

Smitty - Diesel

Q and K would be fine for the 3rd pairing....#7 of course is Cola.

I need to preface this by saying that I don't think he should be traded (unless it's for someone amazing), but you can't use "being a rookie" as an excuse for everything. He has played MUCH worse than Dekeyser and arguably worse than Lashoff as well. They're both rookies, and far less heralded than Smith was. Why is it that they manage to look solid despite being rookies while Smith can't seem to go two games without giving up the puck for a goal? Nobody is expecting him to be a super star, but given that he was our top rated and most highly touted prospect, I think we can expect a little more out of him than this...rookie or not.

DeKeyser and Lashoff are supposed to be good defensively. They're both defensive based defensemen. Smith hasn't been good defensively throughout his career. It's been one of the main things working against him, "needs to get better defensively." He's been our highly touted defensive prospect for his offensive capability. It's the same reason why people can't expect DeKeyser to throw huge numbers up offensively, it just hasn't been apart of his game. Now, with both examples, it doesn't mean they can't get better at it. I think given the situation we're in right now, Smith has had to change his game up quite a bit. He can't just be 100% offensively minded, and work his pinches like he did in the A. He needs to learn this medium, along with being in a top 4 pairing instead of a top 6 pairing. Given his situation, honestly, he hasn't been that bad. On top of all of this, the guy seriously hasn't even played enough games to equal a full NHL season. He's basically over half a full season in, without playoff games included. You can't expect him to be fully up to speed, especially defensively.

DeKeyser and Lashoff are supposed to be good defensively. They're both defensive based defensemen. Smith hasn't been good defensively throughout his career. It's been one of the main things working against him, "needs to get better defensively." He's been our highly touted defensive prospect for his offensive capability. It's the same reason why people can't expect DeKeyser to throw huge numbers up offensively, it just hasn't been apart of his game. Now, with both examples, it doesn't mean they can't get better at it. I think given the situation we're in right now, Smith has had to change his game up quite a bit. He can't just be 100% offensively minded, and work his pinches like he did in the A. He needs to learn this medium, along with being in a top 4 pairing instead of a top 6 pairing. Given his situation, honestly, he hasn't been that bad. On top of all of this, the guy seriously hasn't even played enough games to equal a full NHL season. He's basically over half a full season in, without playoff games included. You can't expect him to be fully up to speed, especially defensively.

Plus give him a good defensive minded partner for a while, like a DeKeyser, and he'll look much different vs. having him partnered up with Quincey.

I agree with you, he's an offensive defenseman. The problem is, he hasn't been all that good offensively either. I'm not just talking about playing in his own zone. The guy doesn't pinch smartly, turns the puck over in transition CONSTANTLY, and rarely shoots when in the offensive zone. Again, he'll get better I know. But I don't think it's unreasonable to expect more out of Smith given what he brings each night, given what he was supposed to bring, and given how other young guys have played.

Plus give him a good defensive minded partner for a while, like a DeKeyser, and he'll look much different vs. having him partnered up with Quincey.

Dude, Quincey can't be the whipping boy here. Aside from the first few weeks Quincey has been solid defensively. And his game has no bearing on Brendan's boneheaded turnovers, bad pinches, and poor shot selection. Brendan makes bad choices on the ice and lacks a degree of situational awareness. He may develop it, but it's not unfair to expect more of it from him, even if he is a rookie.

I agree with you, he's an offensive defenseman. The problem is, he hasn't been all that good offensively either. I'm not just talking about playing in his own zone. The guy doesn't pinch smartly, turns the puck over in transition CONSTANTLY, and rarely shoots when in the offensive zone. Again, he'll get better I know. But I don't think it's unreasonable to expect more out of Smith given what he brings each night, given what he was supposed to bring, and given how other young guys have played.

Completely agree. I think if he was doing his job offensively, he wouldn't be getting the amount of backlash he has been, or it would at least be shadowed by his offensive production. I think the hardest part for him is that Babcock has stressed this team about defensive play coming first. Because of this he's afraid to play his game most likely, or has to limit it (speculation on my part). Basically, Smith can't be Smith and that works against him 10-fold when it's also his first full-time season with the team, not to mention having to play a role way bigger than he can accept.

You're absolutely right though, that he has fumbled pinches, thrown mindless first passes, and hesitated only to burn himself hard. It's hard to look past that just because that's where he should be excelling, especially the more offensively based mistakes.

Just wait. Smith is gonna be a top notch player come a few years. He's very mobile, strong on his feet, has a wicked shot, and loves to get involved. Guys got tons of energy and brings it every game. When he learns a little bit how to harness all this energy, his turnovers and positioning will very much improve. When DK is healthy, that'll be quite the tandem. Smith isn't here for no reason, and one rookie season isn't going to cancel out all the years he had in our system. NHL Defense is an acquired skill. This is still his first year.

Guest The Axe

Just wait. Smith is gonna be a top notch player come a few years. He's very mobile, strong on his feet, has a wicked shot, and loves to get involved. Guys got tons of energy and brings it every game. When he learns a little bit how to harness all this energy, his turnovers and positioning will very much improve. When DK is healthy, that'll be quite the tandem. Smith isn't here for no reason, and one rookie season isn't going to cancel out all the years he had in our system. NHL Defense is an acquired skill. This is still his first year.

Good post.

We all overlook the FACT that Smith is playing against WORLD CLASS players right now. He's being tested against the BEST players in hockey. Of course he is going to make a lot of mistakes now. But in 2 to 3 years, Smith will be taking an "A" on his sweater when one of our Euros is out. Bank on it. He loves playing for the Wings. He wears it right on his sleeve.

The kids has been awful but to trade him ASAP is incredibly drastic. He's pissed me right off as well... I may ask for him to be benched but not traded. He is learning some valuable lessons and seeing how responds and grows will be what to watch for. I believe he will develop in what we are all hoping for but not everyone can step in and make a difference like Dekeyser. I think we all need to have some patience and faith... even when he is stinking up the place, he's a rookie after all.

Edited by The Secret

I agree that Smith hasn't been very good. But I'm guessing a lot of teams would love for the Wings to dump him for nothing.

Smith is playing over 19 minutes a night, third among Dmen behind Kronwall and Ericsson. And now doing it against the best team in the league. He's getting exposed for the rookie he is.

Imagine if the Wings had played Kindl or Ericsson like that. They had the benefit of a better blueline so they could play lower pressure bottom pairing minutes. Smith is getting thrown in the deep end.

It's painful to watch, but this is the team we have right now. It's trial by fire.

I wish people would keep their opinions out of our roster. We have a professional coaching staff that gets paid well to make these decisions.

I will trust Babcock over any one on these boards any second of any day.

Guest The Axe

I wish people would keep their opinions out of our roster. We have a professional coaching staff that gets paid well to make these decisions.

I will trust Babcock over any one on these boards any second of any day.

Yah. A discussion forum with OPINIONS??? PSHHHH

Good post.

We all overlook the FACT that Smith is playing against WORLD CLASS players right now. He's being tested against the BEST players in hockey. Of course he is going to make a lot of mistakes now. But in 2 to 3 years, Smith will be taking an "A" on his sweater when one of our Euros is out. Bank on it. He loves playing for the Wings. He wears it right on his sleeve.

I agree to an extent, but you can't you "being a rookie" as an excuse for everything. Not every rookie defenseman struggles like this. And Smith was supposed to be better than most rookie defensemen. Furthermore, while he's playing against tougher competition in the playoffs, that doesn't explain why he's been so poor all during the regular season. He doesn't need traded, but the fact is he's got a lot of learning to do before he can be considered a reliable NHL defenseman. And that's the same whether you're talking about the offensive or defensive side of his game.

His play definitely isn't textbook out there but he's made up for it with his timely goals. He's a rookie and he's getting valuable experience. Big E looked shaky really up until last year (took another step this year) and I'd say it was worth the wait.

Edited by Number19

Smith looking pretty good in the last 2 games

What Smith are you talking about? Surely not the one who had two interference calls against him and a load of turnovers. If Dekeyser were healthy tomorrow Brendan Smith would be in the press box until someone got hurt or training camp started.

What Smith are you talking about? Surely not the one who had two interference calls against him and a load of turnovers. If Dekeyser were healthy tomorrow Brendan Smith would be in the press box until someone got hurt or training camp started.

Do you think Ian White is worse than Brendan Smith right now?

I know they're testing him because he "supposedly" has a great future (I know White doesnt'), but I doubt Smith gives us a better chance to win now.

We can't have a sabotage artist playing on our team. We're not the 1977 Canadians to be able to overcome all his mistakes.

Smith looking pretty good in the last 2 games

Huh?

He was a train wreck tonight.

Do you think Ian White is worse than Brendan Smith right now?

I know they're testing him because he "supposedly" has a great future (I know White doesnt'), but I doubt Smith gives us a better chance to win now.

We can't have a sabotage artist playing on our team. We're not the 1977 Canadians to be able to overcome all his mistakes.

Huh?

He was a train wreck tonight.

Well I think Smith is undoubtedly tougher in front of the net, and he's a decent penalty killer. But White would surely not turn the puck over as much, and hasn't been known to take penalties the way Smith does. So I guess I don't really know who I'd rather have out there, but lord knows I'm hoping Dekeyser makes it back sooner rather than later.

Guest The Axe

Smith skates. He makes bonehead rookie mistakes, but guess what? He's a fricking rookie!! When will LGW people give a defenseman longer than 2 years to get his groove? Its disturbing how short sighted some are. Havent you seen that I was right all along in that our young guys should be playing?

Smith skates. He makes bonehead rookie mistakes, but guess what? He's a fricking rookie!! When will LGW people give a defenseman longer than 2 years to get his groove? Its disturbing how short sighted some are. Havent you seen that I was right all along in that our young guys should be playing?

Yeah but again...when you see someone come in that has no pro experience like Danny D play better than Smith who has had a lot of pro experience on the griffs and now on the wings I can understand the people who are upset with smith.

So it's okay for Smith to make a lot of mistakes but according to you Jimmy Howard is "average" after playing spectacular these past 2 months. Good logic.

Edited by kickazz