• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Wings_Dynasty

Trade Smith ASAP!

Rate this topic

Dude is kind of a jitterbug, as Tortorella would say.

Haha that cracked me up when I heard it. Torts is a comedy goldmine.

p.s. What I wouldn't give for Dekeyser in the lineup instead of this thread's namesake.

I thought this guy was overripe.

Yeah I don't quite know about that either. So were Kronwall, Ericsson and Kindl and look how their first few years turned out. Now I may be talking out of my ass because of some tipsiness but I'm not exactly sure how even after all this over-ripening (is that even a word?) in the minors that they still need a handful of years and not just half or a full season of growth and adjustment to the NHL game. I'm not exactly aware of how well prospects have developed on other teams who may or may not go with extended time in the minors.

But I'm sure you and most people on here know or at least have an inkling that the whole "overripe" company line is just a front for "We actually just want to hoard all the potential assets we possibly can." It's not completely out of the realm of possibilities that the philosophy delays and perhaps holds back the development of some.

I have been a lurker for a long time, but after watching smith this playoff season, and then tonight, to see him single handedly give up two goals.. to start the third and watch him with his head down on the bench.. if he is in the lineup on Wednesday, the coaches are asking to lose. I feel like the guy has been part of well over 50% of the goals scored on the wings in the last two series.. he is just too much of a liability at this point.. get him the hell out of there.

Guest The Axe

Are people STILL defending this guy!? Come on people! Open your eyes!

Yup. Eriksson, Pushor, Kuznetsov, Fischer, Quincey, Ericsson, Kindl, Smith. I defend all our big blueliners. They are the guys who make the difference.

Yeah I don't quite know about that either. So were Kronwall, Ericsson and Kindl and look how their first few years turned out. Now I may be talking out of my ass because of some tipsiness but I'm not exactly sure how even after all this over-ripening (is that even a word?) in the minors that they still need a handful of years and not just half or a full season of growth and adjustment to the NHL game. I'm not exactly aware of how well prospects have developed on other teams who may or may not go with extended time in the minors.

But I'm sure you and most people on here know or at least have an inkling that the whole "overripe" company line is just a front for "We actually just want to hoard all the potential assets we possibly can." It's not completely out of the realm of possibilities that the philosophy delays and perhaps holds back the development of some.

Dekeyser walks into the lineup and easily plays better than our whole defense. Some guys just learn quicker than others.

I'm worried about a guy in his mid 20's that looks completely lost out there, despite already playing all season and a handful of playoff games. Some of the mistakes he's making are things they teach Canadian boys who are learning defense in little leagues

Yup. Eriksson, Pushor, Kuznetsov, Fischer, Quincey, Ericsson, Kindl, Smith. I defend all our big blueliners. They are the guys who make the difference.

How could you forget Derian Hatcher?

Guest The Axe

Defenseman prime is 25 to 33 years old. Smith wont be great next year either. But 2014-15, he will be good. And 2 years later, Phenominal. Wait til DeKeyser stumbles next year. Whipping boy of LGWers sucks!

If he was on the rangers torts would say he stinks scratch him and put him back in the ahl next season. Your lucky someone likes you. Cause al of us dont. you lost us game 1 and game 6 single handedly. Step it up

Defenseman prime is 25 to 33 years old. Smith wont be great next year either. But 2014-15, he will be good. And 2 years later, Phenominal. Wait til DeKeyser stumbles next year. Whipping boy of LGWers sucks!

He better be the next Scott ******* Niedermayer or Drew ******* Doughty or Niklas ******* Kronwall or whatever idealized comparison the Wings scouting staff/Hockey prospects journalists have touted by that time or else you're gonna get it! Corey Perry style.

Why? Will Smith be the lucky recipient of a brain transplant?

Some defensemen just think the game better than others. DeKeyser looks like one of those types. So while he might stumble next year like you say, he still clearly has a fundamental understanding of the defensive side of the game. Smith hasn't really shown that at any level--and he doesn't produce like Letang or Karlsson either.

Guest The Axe

Some defensemen just think the game better than others. DeKeyser looks like one of those types. So while he might stumble next year like you say, he still clearly has a fundamental understanding of the defensive side of the game. Smith hasn't really shown that at any level--and he doesn't produce like Letang or Karlsson either.

And some defensemen look like rock stars when they play alongside a wall like DeKeyser. Be patient.

He better be the next Scottf****** Niedermayer or Drewf****** Doughty or Niklasf****** Kronwall or whatever idealized comparison the Wings scouting staff/Hockey prospects journalists have touted by that time or else you're gonna get it! Corey Perry style.

He will. Trust me. Babs is high on this guy for a reason.

Guest The Axe

wasn't this guy drafted in 2007? I mean how long does one need to not single handled cost his team the most important games of the season?

You mean the dman with the most goals and points on the team?

Guest Crymson

wasn't this guy drafted in 2007? I mean how long does one need to not single handled cost his team the most important games of the season?

2008. He was still in college at that point. This is his first season in the NHL.

I can't remember any rookie who screwed up this much.

He's not exactly 18 years old either. I thought this guy was overripe.

Your beloved Lilja was a catastrophe machine, and he was much more experienced.

I have been a lurker for a long time, but after watching smith this playoff season, and then tonight, to see him single handedly give up two goals.. to start the third and watch him with his head down on the bench.. if he is in the lineup on Wednesday, the coaches are asking to lose. I feel like the guy has been part of well over 50% of the goals scored on the wings in the last two series.. he is just too much of a liability at this point.. get him the hell out of there.

Four. Four goals. And he has helped to create two.

DeKeyser is unusual amongst rookies. He was poised and ready for the NHL game immediately. This is not the case with a good number of rookies. How soon people forget that Kronwall and Ericsson were both turnover machines in their early years. And I doubt most people here have been watching long enough to remember that Lidstrom, when he first came into the league, was anticipated mostly for his offensive abilities and was by no means a dynamo on defense.

Patience, people.

And I doubt most people here have been watching long enough to remember that Lidstrom, when he first came into the league, was anticipated mostly for his offensive abilities and was by no means a dynamo on defense.

I was born in '91...so I wouldn't know. But I'm really curious, what was your take on Lidstrom when he came into the league?

I find it hard to believe he didn't look like a very, very smart player--even in his rookie year.

Guest Hatethedrake!

Hockey is a team game. Did Smith blow it on those 2 goals in the 3rd? Absolutely. How come no one is blaming Cola for shooting hte puck with his head down to a player who was right in his lane which led to a breakaway? Howard did not even move on the penalty shot goal. Players make mistakes. Some make more than others. Smith is being beat up all the time for all his mistakes. However no one gives the kid credit when he creates a goal with an excellent play. This is his first FULL season in the NHL and he is learning by fire. We all act like it's only rookies who make mistakes. Plenty of veterans screw up as well. I am not saying Smith's gaffes are not worth criticizing. But the Wings lost that game for a variety of reasons. Howard could not make a save in the 3rd when we needed it. Pav and Z cannot get on the scoresheet. Flip and Mule are terrible. Abs cannot capitalize when he gets the chance. Cola is showing he is not very good. The D these entire playoffs turns the puck over WAY too much.

This Wings team is doing the best they can. We do not match the Hawks in terms of talent and it shows. Their newly made 2nd line is giving us fits. We had the chance to put the Hawks away with a PP after Crawford gave up a backbreaking goal and we could not do it. Playoff hockey is about momentum and we do not have it right now. I feel bad for Smith because I believe he is going to be one of the best dmen in the league someday. Most dmen don't become very good right away.

I just don't want Smith to be made the scapegoat all the time when plenty of his teammates are getting little to no blame. It isn't fair and it's also the easy thing to do. I think Smith is going to have a great Game 7 and I believe in the kid.

^ This X 10

There are always going to be negative people that look for the negatives in everything around them... some people always need something to b*tch about...

Smith will be a number 2-3 defenseman in a couple years, and even then he WILL make mistakes... Let the kid play and learn from his mistakes!

I'm not for trading Smith, and I think he will grow into what he is expected to be, but I would be happy to see his precious minutes reduced or see him ride the pine next game. It may be true we win as a team and lose as one as well but if you were to see the weak point to be fixed Smith is it on D. Waaaaaay to many huge mistakes for the kid.

Smith is like a Ferrari without an engine. Most people will see Kenny post it on eBay and be like "Well, there must be something wrong with it." I will be hoping for that one GM that is like "F*ck! That's a Ferrari. Here's a bunch of money!" (aka prospects and a 2nd liner to replace Cleary).