• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Wings_Dynasty

Trade Smith ASAP!

Rate this topic

smith isn't the problem. Will he even be as good as Kronwall is? Maybe, but probably not. But if he can develop into a solid 2-pair D-man, the Wings will be ok with him.

He moves the puck well for a rookie, he skates well enough to probably be a forward in some systems and he plays with his head up. Rookies mistakes happen, they aren't all super-human like Lidstrom was and is....

His rookie season is noticeably worse than that of Kindl, Ericsson, Kronwall, etc. Will he get better? Sure. But that doesn't mean that he isn't a god awful rookie. He is.

*lol* That's some pretty hilarious stuff right there. Kronwall, Ericsson and Kindl were all defensive whipping boys their first years. Kindl wasn't even able to hold the #6 spot down until late this season. Smith is most like Kronwall of any recent Wings rookies. The horrible defensive plays Kronwall authored as a new NHL player are still seared into my mind.

*lol* That's some pretty hilarious stuff right there. Kronwall, Ericsson and Kindl were all defensive whipping boys their first years. Kindl wasn't even able to hold the #6 spot down until late this season. Smith is most like Kronwall of any recent Wings rookies. The horrible defensive plays Kronwall authored as a new NHL player are still seared into my mind.

Exactly.

Kindl couldn't even keep his spot on the roster in the regular season whereas Smith was averaging 19 minutes a night in the playoffs (over a minute more than Kindl by the way). Not exactly an apples to apples comparison.

As rookies Kindl and Ericsson were sheltered on the bottom pairing. Smith was thrown in the deep end.

Exactly.

Kindl couldn't even keep his spot on the roster in the regular season whereas Smith was averaging 19 minutes a night in the playoffs (over a minute more than Kindl by the way). Not exactly an apples to apples comparison.

As rookies Kindl and Ericsson were sheltered on the bottom pairing. Smith was thrown in the deep end.

Brendan Smith got a lot of minutes this season because there was nobody sitting in the pressbox who was a better option. Our defense was much better when Kindl, Ericsson, and Kronwall were rookies and so there was no need to play them that much. It's obviously much harder for a guy like Kindl to crack the lineup as a rookie when Lidstrom, Stuart, Rafalski, Kronwall, Ericsson, and Salei are head of him, than it is for Smith to crack the lineup with Kronwall, Ericsson, Quincey, White, Kindl, and Colaiacovo ahead of him. However, that doesn't mean he's the better player.

You're right on one point though, he did get thrown into the deep end. And he sunk. Here's hoping he'll be better moving forward.

Brendan Smith got a lot of minutes this season because there was nobody sitting in the pressbox who was a better option. Our defense was much better when Kindl, Ericsson, and Kronwall were rookies and so there was no need to play them that much. It's obviously much harder for a guy like Kindl to crack the lineup as a rookie when Lidstrom, Stuart, Rafalski, Kronwall, Ericsson, and Salei are head of him, than it is for Smith to crack the lineup with Kronwall, Ericsson, Quincey, White, Kindl, and Colaiacovo ahead of him. However, that doesn't mean he's the better player.

You're right on one point though, he did get thrown into the deep end. And he sunk. Here's hoping he'll be better moving forward.

It's one thing to only have to outplay Ian friggin White to stay in the line-up. You're right about that.

But, as Harold said, he averaged more ice time than Kindl.

He made some bad rookie mistakes that ended up in our net sure, but he had his share of games where he played great as well. people always pick out the bad and ignore the good. the kid will be fine.

It's one thing to only have to outplay Ian friggin White to stay in the line-up. You're right about that.

But, as Harold said, he averaged more ice time than Kindl.

He did average more time than Kindl, he also averaged more goals against than Kindl and more turnovers than Kindl. All while scoring less often, in spite of the ice time, and in spite of the fact that he's an "offensive" defenseman. As I've said all along, he shouldn't be traded, and he will get better. But I'm tired of this "he's a rookie" excuse. He IS a rookie...a particularly bad one this season.

Smith definetly made a few mistakes this Season and Playoffs but he's a Rookie and he's still very young. He has a lot of potential we just have to be patient with him and allow him time to get better. He wasn't the reason the Wings are out of the playoffs. Yeah he made a couple mistakes in Game 6 that really pissed me off but he is still learning. Give him time to get better and I think he will become a great D-Man for Detroit!!

Your explanation would be reasonable if Smith only managed to crack the 5th or 6th spot, however, he was able to push himself ahead of Kindl and Colo (a veteran who's at least comparable to Salei).

Your explanation would be reasonable if Smith only managed to crack the 5th or 6th spot, however, he was able to push himself ahead of Kindl and Colo (a veteran who's at least comparable to Salei).

As I said, he leapfrogged those guys, and got more icetime, and played much worse with that additional ice time. It still doesn't make him the better player because he played more. With the exception of goals, Kindl was better in every single statistical category than Smith was during the playoffs. Ditto for the regular season (where Kindl led in the goals category as well). I don't know why Babs loves watching Smith f*** up, but he does and that's why he plays more. Not because he's the better player, as every single fact suggests otherwise.

As I said, he leapfrogged those guys, and got more icetime, and played much worse with that additional ice time. It still doesn't make him the better player because he played more. With the exception of goals, Kindl was better in every single statistical category than Smith was during the playoffs. Ditto for the regular season (where Kindl led in the goals category as well). I don't know why Babs loves watching Smith f*** up, but he does and that's why he plays more. Not because he's the better player, as every single fact suggests otherwise.

Ah yes, but if Smith slides into the #5/6 spot, he spends more time against weaker opposing lines hypothetically bosting his stats, and Kindl in the #3/4 spot maybe fares worse that Smith does.

Whatevs, I like them both. Just playing devils advocate.

Ah yes, but if Smith slides into the #5/6 spot, he spends more time against weaker opposing lines hypothetically bosting his stats, and Kindl in the #3/4 spot maybe fares worse that Smith does.

That argument is a wash because it goes both ways. Maybe with more ice time and better teammates Kindl increases his stat advantage even further. And I'm not simple talking about Kindl leading in points or goals. He also hits more, has more blocked shots, more takeaways, fewer give aways, more shots, fewer misses, and on and on and on. He was simple the better player this year.

That argument is a wash because it goes both ways. Maybe with more ice time and better teammates Kindl increases his stat advantage even further. And I'm not simple talking about Kindl leading in points or goals. He also hits more, has more blocked shots, more takeaways, fewer give aways, more shots, fewer misses, and on and on and on. He was simple the better player this year.

Which is why Babcock played him less than Smith in the playoffs? Is your argument that Babs wasn't basing that on performance?

Which is why Babcock played him less than Smith in the playoffs? Is your argument that Babs wasn't basing that on performance?

Clearly, as every indicator of performance suggests Kindl is the better player (right now). And it's not unlike Babs to give guys ice time based on anything other than how they are currently performing.

Edited by kipwinger

Guest The Axe

Not allowed! You have to like and dislike one or the other. You cant be reasonable or patient.

On 5/18/2013 at 11:58 PM, kickazz said:

Although I agree with folks who are giving the "smith is still a rookie" excuse, it's funny that Babcock still goes with Smith over White even after Smith makes a billion mistakes during playoffs. :hysterical: Gotta love babs.

I was being too nice. 

On 5/18/2013 at 2:32 PM, LeftWinger said:

Really? Wow.....the kid is in his first FULL year. FIRST EVER NHL Playoff's. On a team where he is #3 defenseman as a rookie....PLUS HE JUST SCORED!

He will grow into a great player, have patience...

Yeah.. No.

Edited by kickazz