• Please log in to reply
243 replies to this topic

#181 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:57 PM

Ya Babcock has a man-crush on smith. I can't wait til our prospects are ready for some NHL experience but they sit for smith as he continues to lose us games. I don't think Babcock will ever demote or scratch smith. He's the Cleary on defense. So what he lost us three games in a row... He's a competitor and that's what competitors do they compete. Sometimes they compete so hard they compete the puck in their own net but one day he'll compete the puck into the other net and then all this losing will be worth it

#182 stillwater

stillwater

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:10 PM

I think everyone has gotten the gist of how you feel.

#183 krsmith17

krsmith17

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:11 PM

This topic is laughable... I really wish I could "Hate This" on so many people's rants or so-called views of Smith. There are a few people on here that really know their sh*t and it shows and then there is the majority that knows jack sh*t and once again it really shows.

You're right, Smith is terrible. Trade him for a bag of pucks. I mean what does Ken Holland and Mike Babcock know anyway?...

#184 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:17 PM

I know smith will be a good player one day but he shouldn't be playing right now it's not good for him or the team. There should be consequences for how you play both positive and negative. in a couple years he'll be good and everyone will bump this thread laughing about it but the fact is the team wants to win right now and that's all I care about

The only logic is see from him playing on the 2nd pairing instead of 3rd is that Babcock is training him to play lots of minutes. There should be pressure to be better though and also good play from the 3rd pairing should be rewarded as well. Our best performers should be getting the most ice time simple as that

Edited by joesuffP, 28 May 2013 - 01:21 PM.

#185 stillwater

stillwater

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:43 PM

Our best performers should be getting the most ice time simple as that

Smith and Cola played less than any Wing defensemen last night.

#186 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:39 PM

Smith and Cola played less than any Wing defensemen last night.

I think that's part of the problem.  Generally speaking, when you don't notice a defenseman, that's a good thing.  It feels like Smith is out there all the time because he's usually doing something to make one take notice.  While I'm glad he's getting a few points, I think in game 7, he really has to focus solely on defense and let the guys like Kronwall and Ericsson worry about generating offense.

#187 AlwysRdWng

AlwysRdWng

Draftee

• 1 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:51 PM

I think that's part of the problem.  Generally speaking, when you don't notice a defenseman, that's a good thing.  It feels like Smith is out there all the time because he's usually doing something to make one take notice.  While I'm glad he's getting a few points, I think in game 7, he really has to focus solely on defense and let the guys like Kronwall and Ericsson worry about generating offense.

hahahaha, rely on ericsson to generate offense...

Smith shows flashes of brilliance, and that's what is most important in rookies.  He just needs to learn how to handle a lot of new situations.  Chicago has a very fast team, and especially a fast defense.  Their D can afford to pinch hard on our guys, and since Smith is a rookie, they see a weak point.   Maybe if we supported the puck more on this team, Smith would eat the puck on the boards and wait for help instead of throwing it away so easy.  How many times last game did you see one flip or z carry the puck into chicago's zone with no support and get stripped by 2 chicago players just inside the blueline.   The wings have played terrible the past few games as a team, we can't blame these losses on smith.

I will admit he lost body position on Bickell for his goal, but the goal Handzus scored wasnt completely his fault.  He went to challenge the puck carrier who was going behind the goal line.  Why wasnt Quincey covering his position?   Quincey is terrible positionally, and even though he makes some crazy goal-saving play every game, he really doesnt make Smith's job any easier.

#188 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:59 PM

I know smith will be a good player one day but he shouldn't be playing right now it's not good for him or the team. There should be consequences for how you play both positive and negative. in a couple years he'll be good and everyone will bump this thread laughing about it but the fact is the team wants to win right now and that's all I care about

The only logic is see from him playing on the 2nd pairing instead of 3rd is that Babcock is training him to play lots of minutes. There should be pressure to be better though and also good play from the 3rd pairing should be rewarded as well. Our best performers should be getting the most ice time simple as that

Maybe if Smith were out there in his rookie season with a solid D veteran barking at him when he gets out of position and blows coverage, he'd progress faster and learn from his mistakes while he's making them and gets into the motions of getting back in position during the plays.  Just another reason he should have been on the team full time last year so he could learn from and with Lids, Stuart and a 2nd line Kronwall. 

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#189 The Greek

The Greek

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:06 PM

This topic is laughable... I really wish I could "Hate This" on so many people's rants or so-called views of Smith. There are a few people on here that really know their sh*t and it shows and then there is the majority that knows jack sh*t and once again it really shows.

You're right, Smith is terrible. Trade him for a bag of pucks. I mean what does Ken Holland and Mike Babcock know anyway?...

He's been on the ice for 16 goals during these playoffs. This thread may be laughable to you, but smith's playing time should seriously be reassessed. I really wish we had lashoff at our disposal.

#190 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:04 PM

I think Quincey has been great. All of our defenseman have stepped up aside from smith.

The pressure is really getting to him he looks so nervous and uncomfortable I don't think it's good for his development to be playing in a top 4 role. I honestly feel bad for him but he's making us lose so I'm starting to resent him

Edited by joesuffP, 28 May 2013 - 04:07 PM.

#191 kickazz

kickazz

Rookie

• Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:13 PM

All of our defenseman have stepped up aside from smith.

The pressure is really getting to him he looks so nervous and uncomfortable I don't think it's good for his development to be playing in a top 4 role. I honestly feel bad for him but he's making us lose so I'm starting to resent him

This x 10000. These playoffs if anything are probably ruining Smiths confidence level. Mr. Babs, you're not helping Smitty out especially when he's taking so much heat from the fans.

Edited by kickazz, 28 May 2013 - 04:13 PM.

#192 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:37 PM

Really his only redemption will come from a game-winning goal tomorrow.

#193 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:17 PM

Of course the Wings won't trade him.They had all the patience of the world for big E,should be the same with Smith who can at least contribute offensively.

Huge credit goes to team for dealing with Smith's rookie mistakes game after game,I would be pissed on him that's for sure  

#194 matt198913

matt198913

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,973 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:26 PM

The same people on here dissing Smith will be the same ones all over Dekeyser when his wheels fall off. If ya actually read the stats in the playoffs Smith hasn't been that bad. 11 hits 15 blocked shots 5 points and -3. Pretty darn good for a rookie Dman.
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#195 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:27 PM

Still leads the D in points

I would gladly trade all those points for him not screwing up so much.  How many times has he basically scored for the other team?

He was Anaheim's best player in round 1, and he's been Chicago's best player in round 2.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#196 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:06 PM

The same people on here dissing Smith will be the same ones all over Dekeyser when his wheels fall off. If ya actually read the stats in the playoffs Smith hasn't been that bad. 11 hits 15 blocked shots 5 points and -3. Pretty darn good for a rookie Dman.

A rookie defenseman that is struggling to play defense should be on the 3rd pairing getting less minutes. That's the part that bothers me about this whole situation

#197 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:23 PM

Spoken like a guy who likes to read the stat sheet instead of someone who can watch the game.

And I'd be all over Lidstrom if he played the way Smith has played in the playoffs I really like Smith and really hope he becomes a great defenseman. But this year in the playoffs he has been worse than anyone I have ever seen before in professional hockey at any level. It's that simple.

#198 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:37 PM

Spoken like a guy who likes to read the stat sheet instead of someone who can watch the game.

And I'd be all over Lidstrom if he played the way Smith has played in the playoffs I really like Smith and really hope he becomes a great defenseman. But this year in the playoffs he has been worse than anyone I have ever seen before in professional hockey at any level. It's that simple.

He is part of the reason we won the first round and have taken the Hawks to 7.

#199 kickazz

kickazz

Rookie

• Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:56 PM

Lol, people on here who are sticking up for him have being way to subjective.. Objectively speaking; Smith has messed up way too many times and it doesn't matter if he's scored goals and put up points. He has still messed up. Does that mean he should be "dissed"? Maybe not. He's still got a lot to learn so its understandable. But does that mean that Babcock should keep being stubborn about it and keep dressing him every night while there's Ian White with a right hand shot and 3 years of playoff experience? Hmm.

Point being, just because Smith is making a lot of mistakes which have LITERALLY made us lose games, doesn't mean he wont become an amazing player in a few years with experience. But that doesn't give an excuse for him to not be stratched and give us a better chance of winning game 7 with say Ian White. (Not a White fan, but experience > rookie with mistakes).

All in all, I get that Smith is a learning process, what I don't get is, why is he still being dressed with all those costly goals he's give up for us. Give the kid a day off and let someone else play while he gets focused and loses the anxiety. Clearly the pressure has got to him and he's admitted it.

Edited by kickazz, 28 May 2013 - 08:58 PM.

#200 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:32 AM

JoesuffP got beat up by Smith as a kid? Wtf?

Guys, we took out the #2 team in 7 games. We are one win away from doing the same to the #1 team. We had to win our last 4 games to make the playoffs!! Now we get 14 extra games this year, and you want to give Smith crap for making rookie mistakes against THE BEST FOOKING HOCKEY PLAYERS IN THE WORLD? Are you serious? We are playing the Blackhawks. You dont think Smith is going to struggle against them? Everyone is struggling against them. Even our fricking captain has disappeared. Chicago is good. Get used to it.