• Please log in to reply
243 replies to this topic

#41 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 06:46 PM

this thread has now killed any legitimate attempt for rational fans to be displeased with smiths poor play.

roughly everyone that has been on smiths case lately does NOT want him traded. most people just want him sat so he can learn a lesson and stop hurting the team with boneheaded plays.

however, now everyone on the smith bandwagon will instantly turn to this thread and make the generalization that anyone that critiques smith is a moron.

let me say this though, he made at least half a dozen mistakes in these first 2 games that are worthy of a weeks worth of bag skates. scoring a goal from 10 feet away into a wide open net thanks to the strong play of linemates does NOT redeem someone from all those mistakes. additionally, smith has been bad in his own end all year .

many of you keep saying how absurd it is to rag on smith because hes a rookie. however you are all just as guilty of lumping anyone that is down on smith as the irrational reactionary type of fan when many of us have legitimate gripes about his play.

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#42 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,804 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 06:52 PM

this thread has now killed any legitimate attempt for rational fans to be displeased with smiths poor play.

roughly everyone that has been on smiths case lately does NOT want him traded. most people just want him sat so he can learn a lesson and stop hurting the team with boneheaded plays.

however, now everyone on the smith bandwagon will instantly turn to this thread and make the generalization that anyone that critiques smith is a moron.

let me say this though, he made at least half a dozen mistakes in these first 2 games that are worthy of a weeks worth of bag skates. scoring a goal from 10 feet away into a wide open net thanks to the strong play of linemates does NOT redeem someone from all those mistakes. additionally, smith has been bad in his own end all year .

many of you keep saying how absurd it is to rag on smith because hes a rookie. however you are all just as guilty of lumping anyone that is down on smith as the irrational reactionary type of fan when many of us have legitimate gripes about his play.

Well you certainly can go on critiziing him all you want if it makes you feel better.

#43 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:02 PM

Well you certainly can go on critiziing him all you want if it makes you feel better.

well thats kind of the point of a discussion board isnt it???

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#44 The Greek

The Greek

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:05 PM

I dont think it had anything to do with making people feel better. He was making a good point, smith has been pretty bad with the exception of his goal today. To be critical of someone does not equate to wanting him gone.

#45 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,247 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:29 PM

Notice that after his goal he seemed to exude a bit more confidence out there.  He just looked like he had a bit of a monkey lifted off his shoulders today...A game like today where he was really down on himself and then felt the euphoria of netting the game winner can do wonders for his mental state and help mold him into the player everyone was touting him to be over last summer... You MUST lose to learn to win.  You learn by mistakes and only get better.  If people weren't meant to make mistakes, God would not have created erasers.  You may go through your first couple of pencils quickly, but with every mistake erased and life's lessons learned, eventually the eraser last longer and longer and longer...until finally you have the experience and the confidence to use a pen!

Laugh it up, delete it all, I'll be laughing when it happens! -4/17/14

#46 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,804 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:56 PM

well thats kind of the point of a discussion board isnt it???

Absolutely!

#47 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,593 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 08:13 PM

I don't think that's true, since not a single person has agreed with the OP.

I agree that smith hasn't played well, but he'll never be good in the playoffs if he isn't exposed to it. He improved a ton from game 1 to game 2, which is good. Babcock just needs to stick with him and he'll come around

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

#48 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 08:56 PM

I love that Babcock said he thought he played a great game. I agree that he is a rookie and still learning how to play in the playoffs and his confidence as a young player is very fragile. If you take him out now it could threaten the rest of his career. Show confidence in him and he will be confident in himself.

#49 kook_10

kook_10

I Like Our Team

• Gold Booster
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:17 PM

I love that Babcock said he thought he played a great game. I agree that he is a rookie and still learning how to play in the playoffs and his confidence as a young player is very fragile. If you take him out now it could threaten the rest of his career. Show confidence in him and he will be confident in himself.

Confidence is all well and good, but i think a large portion of Babcock's job is actually winning games.  Limp wristed clearing attempts and blind passes don't really support that goal.

works every time

#50 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:48 PM

Confidence is all well and good, but i think a large portion of Babcock's job is actually winning games.  Limp wristed clearing attempts and blind passes don't really support that goal.

We rely on his size. The alternative is White and he has fallen way out of favor. I don't foresee him coming out for Lashoff either.

#51 RedStormRising

RedStormRising

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:16 PM

Rookie or not, he really has been awful. He makes me cringe many times a game. Hoping he grows into a solid player...

#52 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,486 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:25 PM

I agree with both sides on this one to a point. The hard thing to me is knowing all the talk about Smith being the next awesome D-man and all the time he spent in GR growing and the time on the wings then you see someone like Danny D come in with no GR experience right out of college look head and shoulders above Smith at times it is frustrating. But I do agree we have to keep Smith out there and let his game grow. The potential is there for sure you can see it. Now everyone stop for a sec and just think about how our team is going to look a season or 2 down the road........WOW. I'm so excited.

Edited by hillbillywingsfan, 18 May 2013 - 10:26 PM.

msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#53 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,185 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:25 PM

A rookie defensemen on a weak defense who makes mistakes? Gosh.

Yes he has looked bad plenty of times this season. He still has a tremendous amount of upside, limited amount of trade value, and has plenty of years to mature.

Trading him would be absolutely idiotic. 

Posted Image

#54 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,660 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:33 PM

Notice that after his goal he seemed to exude a bit more confidence out there.  He just looked like he had a bit of a monkey lifted off his shoulders today...A game like today where he was really down on himself and then felt the euphoria of netting the game winner can do wonders for his mental state and help mold him into the player everyone was touting him to be over last summer... You MUST lose to learn to win.  You learn by mistakes and only get better.  If people weren't meant to make mistakes, God would not have created erasers.  You may go through your first couple of pencils quickly, but with every mistake erased and life's lessons learned, eventually the eraser last longer and longer and longer...until finally you have the experience and the confidence to use a pen!

This is the best thing I have read today.  Over the years, I've plussed you and negged you (when we had that option), but this is the plussiest thing you have ever written.  I regret that I can only like it once.  I might just have to find some random posts of yours and like them.

If he had a full season, he might be a bit more poised.  If we still had Lidstrom and Stuart, and had gotten DD, and if DD hadn't gotten hurt, Smith would be in the press box, if he was on the team at all.  Cola wouldn't have been signed, and White looked good with Lids, so it would probably be 5-18, 55-23, 52-65 with Q and Kindl in the press box. 

Those are huge "if"s.  You play with the team you have.   You really don't have other options.  Is White better than Smith?  I think so, but Babs doesn't.  Babs sees them every day.  I don't.

Yes, Smith is going to make some bad plays and bad decisions.  E did the same when not paired with Nick, who often bailed him out.  I was ready to write Kindl off as a bust, but he also just needed time and experience to develop.  How many times do we get told that D need more time to develop?

The young D has been thrown into the fire this year, and they are being refined like silver.  Some day they will shine.  Some are there; some are not.

Criticism is warranted.  Wanting to trade him when he's bad is understandable.  Demanding that he be traded at this point is premature, short-sighted, and petulant.

Money on the board:  Current total: 0

$1 for a goal by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster.  An additional $5 for a series-clinching goal scored by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster. $5 if the other team fails to score against a current Wing goalie after whom I have named a hamster.

Hamsters I have had:  (current Wings highlighted)

Henrik Pavel Tomas Nicklas Dominik

Niklas Matthew Daniel Robert

Johan Andreas Valtteri Jonathan

Andrew Patrick Ian Todd

Jordin Damien Gustav James

#55 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:50 PM

smith is just finding his feet. you can see his confidence grow with each game. he looked better towards the end of the ducks series when he scored his first goal of the season and has improved a bit each game since. he will be a great player for years to come once he settles in and learns when he should use his skill and when to just play it smart/simple. 

Remember when we were all calling for Holland to buy low on Bogosian and then atlanta didn't trade him and it turned out he became a stud? The same could very well happen here. 

#56 kickazz

kickazz

Rookie

• Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:58 PM

Although I agree with folks who are giving the "smith is still a rookie" excuse, it's funny that Babcock still goes with Smith over White even after Smith makes a billion mistakes during playoffs. :hysterical: Gotta love babs.

#57 matt198913

matt198913

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 11:18 PM

Smith has been pretty darn ok... 2 goals he's just having a difficult time with small plays

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#58 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,367 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 11:57 PM

tumblr_m0hq63Bh8e1qjcvquo1_500.jpg

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#59 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

GooZe! Z Jr. ~ Acting Captain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,013 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:39 AM

Short of him winning the Conn Smythe there is nothing he can do to redeem himself for the extraordinary amount of WTF moments he has had this post-season. 

He is the weakest D-man on the team, he is a PK-making machine, doesn't use his size, doesn't make good passes, and when he tried to be offensive he gives the puck away. 

Cut him loose and get what you can for him. He is a dime-a-dozen player. 

If you think he doesnt use his size then look at what he does to guys when they try to forecheck him. He's always the last one standing.

This offseason will determine whether Ken Holland should still be employed with the Wings organization.

Please put Smith on the Power Play!

#60 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 01:13 AM

Now no one shoot me but one day he may be our captain.

The captain who will lead by example, give you the shirt off his back, his ID out of his wallet so you can go drinking while underage...  Nah, I don't see that happening.  The next captain of the Wings after Hank retires will be Cleary who will still be playing here in his 40s.

If the next captain is already on the roster (and I don't think he is personally) I would give DeKeyser a better chance at the C than Smith.  

Money on the Board 2014: $5 per series, $5 per sweep, $5 per Kronwalling, $10 per Marchand Kronwalling, $1 per Zetterberg game, $1 per 2013 Calder Cup roster player goal