• Please log in to reply
243 replies to this topic

#61 ben_usmc

ben_usmc

Kenny Powers Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,829 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:29 AM

LOL,  I feel like I'm reading about Jiri Fisher..

There's no I in team, but there's a U in c***, so don't be little jealous c***s

#62 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,695 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:58 AM

The captain who will lead by example, give you the shirt off his back, his ID out of his wallet so you can go drinking while underage...  Nah, I don't see that happening.  The next captain of the Wings after Hank retires will be Cleary who will still be playing here in his 40s.

If the next captain is already on the roster (and I don't think he is personally) I would give DeKeyser a better chance at the C than Smith.  

He is young and has made mistakes.  I just wouldn't count him out that's all.

#63 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:33 AM

Smith has made mistakes, just as any other rookie would. As many have already stated, he's getting thrown into the fire and having to take on responsibilities that normally would've never found their way to him. He's playing in the 2nd pairing, when he should be on the 3rd. He's playing against Anaheim and Chicago, and their two top lines. That's the #1 and #2 seeds in the Western conference gents. Those are top lines, especially Chicago with how deep they are. I'm sitting here pondering if any of you actually watched Smith through his junior(college)/AHL performances. He has never been that defensive guy, ever. His defense has always been brutal. The upside to him was his offensive capability. Unfortunately, he has nothing to show for that during the regular season. He needs to learn from mistakes when he can make his offensive moves. Not to mention, with this season being so hard on all the rookies, he hasn't had the luxury of pushing offensively. Babcock has had to stress defense first because of our teams capability. 

This is on par with the Howard = Average thread, knee-jerk wise. Yes, he makes mistakes. No, we shouldn't trade him. If we're going to allow Kindl and Ericsson to get years for their development, you better give Smitty atleast more than 1 accelerated season(he's played a total of 57 NHL games, including last season, this season, and playoffs. (an NHL season is 82...)) . Absolute knee-jerk here.

Edited by evilzyme, 19 May 2013 - 10:36 AM.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#64 rooter2309

rooter2309

Ja City

• 9 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:03 AM

I'm putting my faith in the fact that Holland and Babcock are much better judges of hockey potential than all of us here. People here, myself included, make quick inferences on a shift by shift, game by game basis. Thes guys are paid to see the big picture and that's what they're doing. Kid is going to be here a while. We will all have a laugh when he's a top level NHL defenseman for years to come.

Proud to be born and raised in Hockeytown.

#65 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:08 AM

It's all about pace. For the first couple of years new players are getting used to the pace of the NHL game. Smith was a great Defenseman at the AHL pace. I think he will progress and get used to the NHL pace and become the top four d. Hopefully we can survive this playoff learning curve.x

#66 kickazz

kickazz

Rookie

• Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:27 PM

Brendan Smith captain? Lmao. No.

Look at our past captains people. Yzerman, Lidstrom, Zetterberg. Especially look at Zetterberg since most of us know him more closely since he's younger. All three by the way were world class players their ROOKIE SEASON! 

Zetterberg rookie season: In 79 games he had 22 goals and 22 assists and ONLY 8 PENALTY MINUTES

Lidstrom rookie season : In 80 games, he had 60 points with 22 penalty minutes a +36 rating

Yzerman rookie season: 80 games, 87 points, 33 penalty minutes.

Brendan Smith 2013 rookie season: 34 games, 8 points, 36 PENALTY MINUTES +1 rating

Now I understand that Smith is more of a scrapper and had 2 fights in the season so you can take 10 minutes out of those 36 minutes. But those 26 minutes in 34 games compared to the previous captains is a joke. No way in hell would Red wings franchise current principle give it to Smith.

If we were truly to predict someone to get it next as of now; it would probably be Dekeyser. Kid does better on ice than most of the defensemen on our roster and he leads by example as a 22 year old or whatever he is. Plus babs and Holland love the kid as it is.. Smith on the other hand, the only kind of leading by example from him that I see is "How to draw a penalty in first 5  minutes of the game"

Don't get wrong, I understand Smith is still learning, but to predict him to be captain for a world class organization like Detroit is a joke. We aren't Anaheim Ducks or Florida Panthers people. We are the Detroit Red Wings.

Edited by kickazz, 19 May 2013 - 12:29 PM.

#67 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:48 PM

Look at our past captains people. Yzerman, Lidstrom, Zetterberg. Especially look at Zetterberg since most of us know him more closely since he's younger. All three by the way were world class players their ROOKIE SEASON! 

Zetterberg rookie season: In 79 games he had 22 goals and 22 assists and ONLY 8 PENALTY MINUTES

Lidstrom rookie season : In 80 games, he had 60 points with 22 penalty minutes a +36 rating

Brendan Smith 2013 rookie season: 34 games, 8 points, 36 PENALTY MINUTES +1 rating

Now I understand that Smith is more of a scrapper and had 2 fights in the season so you can take 10 minutes out of those 36 minutes. But those 26 minutes in 34 games compared to the previous captains is a joke. No way in hell would Red wings franchise current principle give it to Smith.

If we were truly to predict someone to get it next as of now; it would probably be Dekeyser. Kid does better on ice than most of the defensemen on our roster and he leads by example as a 22 year old or whatever he is. Plus babs and Holland love the kid as it is.. Smith on the other hand, the only kind of leading by example from him that I see is "How to draw a penalty in first 5  minutes of the game"

Don't get wrong, I understand Smith is still learning, but to predict him to be captain for a world class organization like Detroit is a joke. We aren't Anaheim Ducks or Florida Panthers people. We are the Detroit Red Wings.

So we're just not going to have a captain when Z retires? We have no young player on our roster who were "world class" when they were rookies

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

#68 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,695 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 01:47 PM

Ok, whatever you say :rolleyes:

#69 Nevermind

Nevermind

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 02:28 PM

Smith isn't going to be captain. He's been arrested twice already (IIRC, a DUI for driving a moped drunk and a disorderly for punching a guy at a party). And then, there's the Teletubby carrying his license, claiming to be him. I'm not saying Smith can't mature, but guys like Yzerman, Lidstrom and Zetterberg would never have done things like that. And Smith still looks like he'd be sort of a prick off-the-ice.

On the other hand, I think DeKeyser seems to have the right makeup for possibly being captain one day. Just based on the way he plays the game, and the way he handles himself off-the-ice.

#70 matt198913

matt198913

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 02:44 PM

People really have to just relax on this kid. He is playing a number 3 role in his first full season against the best team in the league. On top of that he has 2 goals an he plays physical. It will come give him time.
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#71 kickazz

kickazz

Rookie

• Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 04:18 PM

So we're just not going to have a captain when Z retires? We have no young player on our roster who were "world class" when they were rookies

Why does it matter now? Zetterberg has 7 years on his contract. That's atleast 5-6 years of potential draft picks. Maybe we can get a player that can be the next Zetterberg. Maybe Kronner will stick around some more and get captaincy for 2-3 years after Z's gone. Kronwall ages well, I don't see why he wouldn't play till he's 42. Maybe after Kronwall it's Dekeyser. Maybe its not. Who knows. But clearly not Smith with his DUI's stupid behavior in public at times that tends to get him in trouble. I've been a wings fan for nearly 20+ years and never has the organization even considered giving captaincy to someone with a track record like Smith. Smiths got a lot of potential but his public behavior is very immature.

These are my personal opinions obviously but let's be honest how often do you see captains that have messed up this much on and off the ice? Heck id even give the captaincy to Darren Helm over Smith. He's been through hell and back with his injuries, he plays with class, the organization absolutely loves him. I mean Holland probably would never give up Helm unless Helm really wanted to leave.

Anyways , I understand we are diverging off topic but in conclusion although Smith is a messup, he's can also be a great player with a lot of potential. I would be upset if he was traded.

Edited by kickazz, 19 May 2013 - 04:25 PM.

#72 zetterberg_fan

zetterberg_fan

Draftee

• 4 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 04:30 PM

That's crazy to get rid of him. The guy to get rid of is Quincey. He seems to be out of place more than Smith, and he has been making penalties more than Smith has.

#73 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 06:47 PM

That's crazy to get rid of him. The guy to get rid of is Quincey. He seems to be out of place more than Smith, and he has been making penalties more than Smith has.

Quincey has been excellent. You are on weed!!!

#74 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:13 PM

I need to preface this by saying that I don't think he should be traded (unless it's for someone amazing), but you can't use "being a rookie" as an excuse for everything.  He has played MUCH worse than Dekeyser and arguably worse than Lashoff as well.  They're both rookies, and far less heralded than Smith was.  Why is it that they manage to look solid despite being rookies while Smith can't seem to go two games without giving up the puck for a goal?  Nobody is expecting him to be a super star, but given that he was our top rated and most highly touted prospect, I think we can expect a little more out of him than this...rookie or not. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#75 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:13 PM

Quincey has been excellent. You are on weed!!!

He might be high but don't give Quincey too much credit.

p.s Quincey has been solid.

Also coaching staff likes Smith.

I'm for it tbh

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing), 19 May 2013 - 07:15 PM.

#76 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:16 PM

He might be high but don't give Quincey too much credit.

p.s Quincey has been solid.

Also coaching staff likes Smith.

I'm for it tbh

Agreed

#77 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:22 PM

He is young and has made mistakes.  I just wouldn't count him out that's all.

I actually don't think the next captain is currently on the roster or in the Wings system. 

Who knows?  Maybe the 2013 NHL draft will place somebody in the Red Wings hands. 

#78 gowings00

gowings00

No Talent Goon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,901 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:02 PM

This post is absurd.....remember Kronwall's first few years? Ericsson? If we listened to the amateur GMs , we would have cut those guys loose.

Relax, the game is a little too fast for him right now but that's why getting this playoff experience will allow him to grow so much faster. He'll be fine. I promise. We are definitely going to need defenseman who can score and he has that ability.

#79 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,752 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:36 PM

Hey, we traded Kuznetsov and look how that turned out.  Our organization hasn't been able to recover since.  

Can't make the same mistake twice.

Wait...Wasn't it Jesse Wallin :g:

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#80 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:45 PM

Wait...Wasn't it Jesse Wallin :g:

I dont think those guys ever saw 20 minutes in a game. Babcock likes Smith. There's a reason. He's a leader.