• Please log in to reply
243 replies to this topic

#101 kickazz

kickazz

Rookie

• Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:06 AM

Smith skates. He makes bonehead rookie mistakes, but guess what? He's a fricking rookie!! When will LGW people give a defenseman longer than 2 years to get his groove? Its disturbing how short sighted some are. Havent you seen that I was right all along in that our young guys should be playing?

So it's okay for Smith to make a lot of mistakes but according to you Jimmy Howard is "average" after playing spectacular these past 2 months. Good logic.

Edited by kickazz, 21 May 2013 - 12:07 AM.

#102 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:07 AM

Yeah but again...when you see someone come in that has no pro experience like Danny D play better than Smith who has had a lot of pro experience on the griffs and now on the wings I can understand the people who are upset with smith.

You mean like Jonathan Ericsson back in 2008-2009? Remember how awesome he looked at the start? Then 3 years of learning curve. Dont be surprised if DeKeyser has them too.

#103 matt198913

matt198913

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:17 AM

Would anyone want to venture a guess who leads our D in points right now????

That'd be Brendan Smith
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#104 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:28 AM

Not every rookie can be compared to Danny Dekeyser, people!  Dekeyser is a special player who is extremely mature for his age. Smith clearly needs to grow more, but how is he going to do that on the bench? Unless he starts costing us games, like Lashoff did (unfortunately, because I loved how he played in the regular season), he deserves ample opportunity to grow. After all, we weren't expected to go anywhere this year, so why give him a chance

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

#105 chances14

chances14

The Magician

• PipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:34 AM

Another awful game by smith IMO. What the hell was he doing on the Kane goal?

#106 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:22 AM

Love Smith. This guy is going to be our captain after Z. I guarantee it. He busts his ass, and you can tell he wants it. He sticks up for his teammates, he fights without hesitation, and he is gobbling up minutes. LOVE this guy.

http://m.youtube.com...dan smith fight

#107 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 18,826 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:45 AM

Haha, all this bitching about Smith. Does anyone remember Kronwalls play from 05-07? He was a turnover machine, and made dumb decisions with the puck. But he grew, and then established himself a solid #3 in 07-08, and the rest is history. How about Ericsson? He was dreadful for 2 and half seasons, and now he's our shut down defenseman #2/3. Defenseman take longer to develop, Smith is learning at the best time of the year, the playoffs. He's gonna be fine.

#NOMOREKINDL

#108 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:52 AM

Haha, all this bitching about Smith. Does anyone remember Kronwalls play from 05-07? He was a turnover machine, and made dumb decisions with the puck. But he grew, and then established himself a solid #3 in 07-08, and the rest is history. How about Ericsson? He was dreadful for 2 and half seasons, and now he's our shut down defenseman #2/3. Defenseman take longer to develop, Smith is learning at the best time of the year, the playoffs. He's gonna be fine.

Bingo.

He's been extremely noticable on both the good and bad for better/worse.

Given it's his first season of playoff action, I'll take it.  The good has been outweighing the bad.

#109 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,698 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:53 AM

That's why I chose my username.  When I joined, people were bashing him and wanting him gone.  He was no good and made of glass.

I believed in him.  Granted, I believed in him more than I believe in Smith, but I don't think we should be punching Smith a one-way ticket out either.

Money on the board:  Current total: $6

$1 for a goal by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster.  An additional $5 for a series-clinching goal scored by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster. $5 if the other team fails to score against a current Wing goalie after whom I have named a hamster.

Hamsters I have had:  (current Wings highlighted)

Henrik Pavel Tomas Nicklas Dominik

Niklas Matthew Daniel Robert

Johan Andreas Valtteri Jonathan

Andrew Patrick Ian Todd

Jordin Damien Gustav James

#110 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:00 AM

The league will watch the DeKeyser tapes and figure out what to do with him next year, as well. LGWers will be whipping on him soon enough. I cant understand how a fan can bash a guy who's exciting to watch (in a bad way sometimes) and promote a guy like Todd Bertuzzi. Bertuzzi hasnt been an effective playoff guy EVER. He has ZERO value to this team at this stage of the season. "Should we put Bertuzzi and Tootoo in to goon it up?" PLEASE. These guys are liabilities for 60 minites AND Bertuzzi does NOT fight. He's not Donald Brashear. He's Teddy Ruxpin. Smith, on the other hand, doesnt let any nonsense go unnoticed. Elbow Nyquist? Youre gonna get a sock in the mouth. "Smith, youre stupid. Have some control. We cant have that now." B.S. We cant afford to be missing thst EVER is the truth of the matter. Choice is simple. Babcock knows hes got a gem in #2. Thats why he's throwing him to the wolves 20 minutrs a game and letting him gain his stripes. Get behind him. He's good.

#111 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,414 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:53 PM

The league will watch the DeKeyser tapes and figure out what to do with him next year, as well. LGWers will be whipping on him soon enough. I cant understand how a fan can bash a guy who's exciting to watch (in a bad way sometimes) and promote a guy like Todd Bertuzzi. Bertuzzi hasnt been an effective playoff guy EVER. He has ZERO value to this team at this stage of the season. "Should we put Bertuzzi and Tootoo in to goon it up?" PLEASE. These guys are liabilities for 60 minites AND Bertuzzi does NOT fight. He's not Donald Brashear. He's Teddy Ruxpin. Smith, on the other hand, doesnt let any nonsense go unnoticed. Elbow Nyquist? Youre gonna get a sock in the mouth. "Smith, youre stupid. Have some control. We cant have that now." B.S. We cant afford to be missing thst EVER is the truth of the matter. Choice is simple. Babcock knows hes got a gem in #2. Thats why he's throwing him to the wolves 20 minutrs a game and letting him gain his stripes. Get behind him. He's good.

I love how you are the one talking about how we shouldn't bash someone...

For the record, I like Smith, he has a lot of potential, and I am ok with him playing right now, the more experience he gets the better he will be next year.

I'm a Red Wing for the next three years and I'm going to make sure every team we play knows that.'' -- Jordin Tootoo

#112 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:05 PM

I love how you are the one talking about how we shouldn't bash someone...

For the record, I like Smith, he has a lot of potential, and I am ok with him playing right now, the more experience he gets the better he will be next year.

Just bash the right guys is all i ask!!

#113 datsyuk13944

datsyuk13944

Draftee

• 8 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:36 PM

bump

#114 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:38 PM

bump

What is it you want? Sometimes rookies f*** up.

#115 datsyuk13944

datsyuk13944

Draftee

• 8 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:46 PM

What is it you want? Sometimes rookies f*** up.

Nothing I guess, just very frusterated

#116 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:50 PM

And sometimes they give you 14 playoff games to watch and cheer your team on when all the other old guys from previous seasons were getting bounced in 5 games.

#117 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,181 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:59 PM

Smith is too erratic.  Makes some good plays, but is responsible for seemingly all of our goals.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#118 KrazyGangsta

KrazyGangsta

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:59 PM

Brendan Smith is not the one giving this team 14 games, that would be Howard.

#119 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:02 PM

Not really trying to be a wiseass or an ******* here but sometimes I feel like Smith is what happens when someone doesn't quite have full control of their ADHD.  Too bad Adderall is apparently banned. 

#120 TigerDan

TigerDan

Goon

• Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:04 PM

I hate to say it, but Smith needs to be taken out of the lineup for game 7.  His confidence is shot right now and Chicago is in his head.  Send him back to GR to play in their conference finals and let him try to get some work in defensively.  The way I see it, this team has 3 options: 1. Put DeKeyser in and tape his hand to his stick.  2. Dig up Ian White from whatever doghouse he's been living in.  3. Put Lashoff back in there and tell him to focus on his end of the ice and making good outlet passes.

"This young man has had a very trying rookie season. What with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him? Whhelll, I guess that's more than most 21 year olds could handle."